Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Only 171 GT2's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Only 171 GT2's?

I was talking with a guy today and he had mentioned that there were only supposed to be 171 GT2's produced. Obviously this wasn't the case. He was a little upset that he paid a premium for the car when it came out, but oh well..I've never heard of this but he owns several other Porsches and seemed to know what he was talking about. Anyone else ever heard that?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
That might be for one Model Year. Although the GT2 numbers are low, I don't think they are that low.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
The actual number is around 600 which is half that of the Carrera GT. That is still pretty exclusive. Porsche ownership is about driving, not collecting. I would never purchase a Porsche thinking I would be sitting on something that is going to appreciate, nor would I really care. Additionally, the Porsche dealer network is not as carefully rigged as Ferrari's which is designed to drastically appreciate cars even with very high production numbers.
He may have paid a premium, but I am willing to bet he did not pay over MSRP, and what he did pay was the entrance into a car that even still today has almost no equal in its class.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Josh
The actual number is around 600 which is half that of the Carrera GT. That is still pretty exclusive. Porsche ownership is about driving, not collecting. I would never purchase a Porsche thinking I would be sitting on something that is going to appreciate, nor would I really care. Additionally, the Porsche dealer network is not as carefully rigged as Ferrari's which is designed to drastically appreciate cars even with very high production numbers.
He may have paid a premium, but I am willing to bet he did not pay over MSRP, and what he did pay was the entrance into a car that even still today has almost no equal in its class.
How do you define class, by dollar amount, or type of car? I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better car for your money out there than a used GT2 (100-110K). However, there are a lot of really good cars competing in the same league as the GT2 today (F430, Gallardo SE, etc.)

Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by M5Kid
How do you define class, by dollar amount, or type of car? I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better car for your money out there than a used GT2 (100-110K). However, there are a lot of really good cars competing in the same league as the GT2 today (F430, Gallardo SE, etc.)

All factors in general; price included. The F430 and the Gallardo are not competitive with the performance of the GT2 and certainly not the price. The F430 is best compared with the GT3 in performance. The Gallardo is AWD and comes no where near the handling of any of them nor is it really meant to.
The new Z06 has several performance attributes that can be compared to the GT2, although a modified Z06 was required to best the GT2's time on the 'Ring. The Ford GT as well is a performance contender, though personally, neither of which are cars I would ever write a check for, and the same goes for the 430 and the Gallardo.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Josh
All factors in general; price included. The F430 and the Gallardo are not competitive with the performance of the GT2 and certainly not the price. The F430 is best compared with the GT3 in performance. The Gallardo is AWD and comes no where near the handling of any of them nor is it really meant to.
The new Z06 has several performance attributes that can be compared to the GT2, although a modified Z06 was required to best the GT2's time on the 'Ring. The Ford GT as well is a performance contender, though personally, neither of which are cars I would ever write a check for, and the same goes for the 430 and the Gallardo.
let alone write a check for a second gt2....

Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by fasteddiett
let alone write a check for a second gt2....
The 997 GT2 is just around the corner.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
There was a post here on 6speed a few weeks ago with production numbers on the '02-'04 GT2 although I can't seem to find it now. If I remember right it was somewhere around 400 total US cars. The majority were '02's, about 1/2 of the '02 number were '03's, and something like 50 '04's.

Maybe someone else can post a link to the thread I'm mentioning?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
About 3xx are in the US.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JASCLASS
About 3xx are in the US.
i think there were 24 cars in 2004 and 5 cars in 2005.

I wonder out of those 3xx something cars how many have been wrecked etc.....? <- i love to add speculation to things

Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JASCLASS
About 3xx are in the US.
305 US Cars (verified number) 2002-2005
615 +/- ROW Cars (Car Magazine Number last year) 2001-2005
920 +/- total production of GT2's (combined number)

No question there have been more than a few crashed. But still a lot of nice cars left and for the money there is no better "get in go fast, get out" car you can buy.

If you look at what muscle cars are selling for at Barrett Jackson ($200K - $500K), you have to ask yourself, is the GT2 the muslce car of today and if so what will someone pay for it in 15 years (and how much fun can you have with it in between)? A lot of car for todays prices of $90K to $125K.

JCM

Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bodybag
Maybe someone else can post a link to the thread I'm mentioning?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&highlight=gt2

Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by supercup
305 US Cars (verified number) 2002-2005
615 +/- ROW Cars (Car Magazine Number last year) 2001-2005
920 +/- total production of GT2's (combined number)

No question there have been more than a few crashed. But still a lot of nice cars left and for the money there is no better "get in go fast, get out" car you can buy.

If you look at what muscle cars are selling for at Barrett Jackson ($200K - $500K), you have to ask yourself, is the GT2 the muslce car of today and if so what will someone pay for it in 15 years (and how much fun can you have with it in between)? A lot of car for todays prices of $90K to $125K.

JCM
Ahh awesome. Although if you go on cars.com and autotrader, a few GT2's from dealers are selling at a TOTALLY different price range, 130's-150's! Not like our market being car guys, hard to explain!

Proud GT2 owner though

Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ahh awesome. Although if you go on cars.com and autotrader, a few GT2's from dealers are selling at a TOTALLY different price range, 130's-150's! Not like our market being car guys, hard to explain!

Proud GT2 owner though
The two high priced ones are both owned and for sale at Newport Porsche. They have been very active in buying and selling GT2's. They have bought at market or less and sold in the $135K to $150K range and made a nice profit. The Slate grey car they have sold twice (new and used) and then bought it back from the last owner. It is a really nice car. I think they paid $125K for it and sold it to the last owner for $149K. They have had both those cars for awhile now, so they may have to be more aggressive to move them.

On the number of USA GT2's,

I have seen from PMNA 168 2002's, 90 03's, 24 04's and 5 05's. I met a guy locally who got (from Newport Porsche) what they claimed was the last 2005 in North America and it was the 7th car, as opposed to the 5th car. They say their was a black one delivered in Canada, the only 2005, not to the USA. So that would bring the NA total to 307. However my numbers could be off by 10 and it could be 317. Regardless a small number.

JCM

Old 02-07-2007, 01:30 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by supercup
The two high priced ones are both owned and for sale at Newport Porsche. They have been very active in buying and selling GT2's. They have bought at market or less and sold in the $135K to $150K range and made a nice profit. The Slate grey car they have sold twice (new and used) and then bought it back from the last owner. It is a really nice car. I think they paid $125K for it and sold it to the last owner for $149K. They have had both those cars for awhile now, so they may have to be more aggressive to move them.

On the number of USA GT2's,

I have seen from PMNA 168 2002's, 90 03's, 24 04's and 5 05's. I met a guy locally who got (from Newport Porsche) what they claimed was the last 2005 in North America and it was the 7th car, as opposed to the 5th car. They say their was a black one delivered in Canada, the only 2005, not to the USA. So that would bring the NA total to 307. However my numbers could be off by 10 and it could be 317. Regardless a small number.

JCM
Ahh thanks for the info

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only 171 GT2's?