Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3RS vs. CGT Whats more enjoyable on a track??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
997GT3RS vs. CGT Whats more enjoyable on a track??

Just wanted the opinions of some of the big shots and hardcore tackers on the board as to what you guys would personally prefer to track your car with a 997GT3RS or a CGT??

I don't know what I'd choose, I feel like the CGT isn't as much a hardcore track car as the RS (not that I'm saying its a bad track car and it wouldn't be fun, because god knows I'd give my left ******** and my right pinky toe to drive one, and I rather own a CGT than an RS, this question is purely based on tracking and nothing else)

Waiting for you answers and opinions in suspense!!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
The RS is made for the track. I think it would be too harsh on the street for most. If my name was on the waiting list and I got one, I’m sure I would make it work on the highway though. The CGT is a super car, that doesn’t necessarily make it a good track car. How many CGT’s have you scene in a racing series? Now how many gt3’s have you scene? If I had a choice of one as a gift, I would take the Carrera, sell it and buy a GT3rs and all the tires and goodies I would need for a track day or to compete in the SCCA. Why was the 911 GT1 left out of your little poll? Now that’s a car I wish I had sitting in my garage.

Interesting question though

Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Some facts:

- The CGT is a faster car on the road and on the track than the 997 GT3RS.
- The GT3RS is not a harsh car on the street since it has PASM, it is not a cadillac though, but if you want it harsh, you can get it through the sport setting.
- The 996GT3 was a harsher ride than the new GT3.
- the CGT is heavier, therefore less fun in corners
- The CGT has much more torque so much more fun coming out of the corners
- You can buy a 997 GT3 RS and a 700HP 996TT wiht the price of a CGT and some change, and you will have the best of both worlds.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jean
Some facts:

- the CGT is heavier, therefore less fun in corners
I'll bet the RS and CGT are very close in weight...if I had to guess, I'd say the CGT was slightly lighter.

Gary

Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
pressing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jean
Some facts:

- The CGT is a faster car on the road and on the track than the 997 GT3RS.
- The GT3RS is not a harsh car on the street since it has PASM, it is not a cadillac though, but if you want it harsh, you can get it through the sport setting.
- The 996GT3 was a harsher ride than the new GT3.
- the CGT is heavier, therefore less fun in corners - Yeah right, less fun!
- The CGT has much more torque so much more fun coming out of the corners
- You can buy a 997 GT3 RS and a 700HP 996TT wiht the price of a CGT and some change, and you will have the best of both worlds.
Owning a Carrera GT and a Manthey modified 996 GT3, the CGT really is in another league.

As an example, my car is running OE tyres and alignment. At UK tracks it is quicker that 997 GT3 and 996GT3RS both running track set up and Michelin Pilot Sport Cups or Pirelli Corsas.

You have to also factor in that the CGT has a great deal of downforce compared to 911 variants, and this makes a big difference in high speed corners.

In stock form the CGT is more thrilling to track than my modified GT3. I'm waiting to fit some BBS wheels with stickier Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyres and get a bit of camber dialled in on the suspension.

The P Zero Corsa are worth 4.5 seconds around Spa Francorchamps!

Last edited by pressing; 02-19-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Awesome topic and interesting to hear different opinions and views

Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
The CGT is a little heavier (a decent 100lbs or so), I agree probably not enough to make a huge difference though.

Pressing you are a lucky man! I must say however that the 997GT3RS is quite nimbler than the 996GT3, even a modified one. The amount of grip it has and direct steering are frightening. I recorded 1.4 G of lateral grip on the stock (R) tires.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I think that a Manthey K400/K410 GT3 with KW/ Manthey Suspension and a track optimised set up will still be quicker than a stock 997 GT3/ GT3RS, both running on R tyres.

The Carrera GT out of the box is stunning. There is some high speed push understeer once the tyres are up to temperature (Michelin Pilot Sport), but the car is really impressive. Not forgiving though, very edgy until the tyres are up to temp. with lots of turn in oversteer.

I've got the BBS race wheels and Corsa's to go on, and am ditching the PCCB's. I don't want to trash the ceramics in case I sell the car (some chance!!)

With the right tyres, a more track biased set up, steel brakes and the harnesses fitted I suspect the CGT will be hard to beat.

I've got a friend with a 993GT2 race car that's keen to have some impromtu runs on a trackday sometime. Be interesting!

Last edited by pressing; 02-19-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm some interesting answers, I would definately rather have a CGT, and even though the CGT might be a little faster on the track I feel like the RS would just be a better track car and more fun, but then again hearing the exhaust note of a CGT and whipping it through corners has to be pretty intense

Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by jrgatfh
Hmmm some interesting answers, I would definately rather have a CGT, and even though the CGT might be MORE THAN a little faster on the track I feel like the RS would just be a better track car and more fun, but then again hearing the exhaust note of a CGT and whipping it through corners has to be pretty intense
I am intrigued to see what the CGT is like when it is on an even playing field with a track set up R tyred GT3. I suspect it will be as sharp as a scalpel.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
GT3 Rs will be easier to drive and less expensive to keep on the track.

The CGT is faster no doubt - But it requires SO much more skill to drive at the limit.

In my opinion the GT3 Rs is a better car for 95% of people and situations you will ever encounter on a race track.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
an original 73 rs...

oops...not one of the choices...I would say the rs on the basis of it being pretty much designed for the track while the CGT was designed to be a "supercar"...something for all places...

Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 PM
fayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura about
I've tracked the GT a lot, and I love it. I've got a GT3RS on the way, so I'll be curious to see how it is different. For the sake of just a cheaper car to track, it's clearly the GT3. The raw experience and joy of tracking a GT, however, will be VERY hard to beat.