GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Alcantara or Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned
Trevor Ely is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Gotta chime in: leather! There is no substitute.

I really don't understand why alcantara is so popular.........
It's all about grip. On seating surfaces it prevents you from sliding around, with the steering wheel rim it provides extra grip.

MoeMistry, I couldn't find any information on AutoGlym's website concerning the Alcantara cleaner. Can you help?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Trevor Ely
It's all about grip. On seating surfaces it prevents you from sliding around, with the steering wheel rim it provides extra grip.

MoeMistry, I couldn't find any information on AutoGlym's website concerning the Alcantara cleaner. Can you help?
The product is called Interior Shampoo or Interior Cleaner. I stock them if you'd like some. The 500mL and 1 Gallon combo is $27.99 or the 500mL is $7.99

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Turbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the rough
alcantara!

usually that is much more expensive than smooth leather and nicer too

Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
alcantara! no sweaty palms.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 AM
YellowDragon is infamous around these parts
Maybe I am an odd-ball here but I recently replaced my alcatara with leather and I love it! I like the feel of leather better than alcantara. However I am keeping my alcantara and who knows one day I might switch it back!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
I had the optional thicker leather steering wheel on my C2S, and I have the alcantara on the GT3. Both are nice wheels, but my preference is the alcantara, as it seems to have a little better grip. Whether it will hold up over the years is a concern.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
seung is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
alcantara!

usually that is much more expensive than smooth leather and nicer too
nope, natural leather is more $ than alcantara.
because it's used a lot in luxury cars people believe it's more exotic material than leather-
so of course car companies use cheaper alcantara and charge more than leather.

it sure looks pretty but in real life it's not all that great.
i prefer leather.
recently some car companies started to use real suede or nubuck in their cars... i'd love to try those though.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
drqiman is infamous around these parts
I chose leather and I am very happy with it. It is supposed to be thicker than the alcantara.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
Just realized this is an old thread, recently revived and found my post from one year ago.

My steering wheel is leather but the shifter was alcantara: I just had it replaced by a Turbo short shifter (steel + carbon fiber), because the alcantara had completely worn out on the inside grip. It looked like crap after about 6 months. Porsche replaced it under warranty.

My advice: if you are going to keep your car for more than a few months, go with leather. Alcantara will wear out, no matter how well you take care of it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
YellowDragon is infamous around these parts
...I just had it replaced by a Turbo short shifter (steel + carbon fiber), because the alcantara had completely worn out on the inside grip. It looked like crap after about 6 months. Porsche replaced it under warranty.
Did you have to pay extra to have Porsche replace the alcantara shifter with the Turbo ss one under warranty?

Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
NormanK is infamous around these parts
It is amazing to find this post over a year later. As it turns out, most of my driving is on the track and the Alcantara on the steering wheel and shift **** show little or no wear. I like the feel of both without gloves on the street and the grip with gloves on the track.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 AM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by YellowDragon
Did you have to pay extra to have Porsche replace the alcantara shifter with the Turbo ss one under warranty?
No, I didn't. They kept the old part...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:37 AM
JamesGT3RS is infamous around these parts
Gotta chime in: leather! There is no substitute.

I really don't understand why alcantara is so popular.........
If you "drive it like you stole it" the palms do get a bit sweaty! On leather this does reduce grip between hand and wheel. Alcantara feels good in the hand and according to Porsche is long lasting. Haven't seen a tatty one yet. They also say better not to wear gloves although I always wear them at track days.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I like the feel of alcantara over leather.