GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

18" wheels for PCCB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
mojom3 is infamous around these parts
18" wheels for PCCB

newbie here
Have been lurking for a while and wondering which wheels will fit over the PCCB brakes on the 997 GT3. My car will arrive in late march and will need track wheels at some later date. I know that the tire selection is better and eventually I will want to attend some DEs.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM
GTS-R is infamous around these parts
I have heard Fikse and possibly BBS makes 18s for PCCBs.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM
jonathan@millaracing is infamous around these parts
some of our customers are running the BBS race only 3 piece wheel in 18" on their GT3.

pm or email me for more info.

the wheels are not street legal, only for the track

same wheels found on the 997 cup cars

Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonathan@millaracing
some of our customers are running the BBS race only 3 piece wheel in 18" on their GT3.

pm or email me for more info.

the wheels are not street legal, only for the track

same wheels found on the 997 cup cars
What makes a wheel not street legal??

Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What makes a wheel not street legal??
bbs motorsport wheels are designed for race cars.

they don't have a perfect finish like their street wheels

BBS won't sell these wheels for street driving applications

It comes down to how they are manufactured and their tolerances on the street vs track

But for a track wheel they are pretty sweet. they look really cool, we can spec them in custom sizes and offsets etc

Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
If what you are doing are DE not wheel to wheel racing why do you want to go to 18's ? If you're getting a GT3 what's wrong with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups ? That's plenty of tire for DE. Stay with 19's and keep the set up simple for daily driver and occasional track day. There are plenty of great, light and strong 19" wheels ( both 1 piece and multi-piece ).

Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
If what you are doing are DE not wheel to wheel racing why do you want to go to 18's ? If you're getting a GT3 what's wrong with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups ? That's plenty of tire for DE. Stay with 19's and keep the set up simple for daily driver and occasional track day. There are plenty of great, light and strong 19" wheels ( both 1 piece and multi-piece ).
Better tire selection.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
Better tire selection.
good point.
much easier to find DE and race tires in 18 than 19, but 19 slicks are becoming more available as time goes on

Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We have run the BBS 3 piece race wheels

We also have HRE building a nice CUP wheel which we run our World Challenge GT 997

Here is the BBS race wheel

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 08-17-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Yes I understand tire selection but I say again for the occasional DE the Michelin Pilot cup tires are fine. If you tell me you are going hard core racing well I'll stop talking. For the average guy who enjoys the occasional DE you need no more. Slicks are not a good idea for the driver who does have years of track time. Slicks on a stock GT3 is also no good. Too much stress on the suspension parts created by the slicks, too much grip. Need to have the race Cup car set up. Slicks grip until their limit and cup loose without a warning. I raced for many years thru the 90's, now just enjoy a DE like most of us. Also it helps keep the set up of the car simpler when it is also a daily driver. Good luck. A brother in motorsports. GT3Ranger ( Juan ).

Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
StuartFirm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Slicks on a stock GT3 is also no good. Too much stress on the suspension parts created by the slicks, too much grip. Need to have the race Cup car set up. Slicks grip until their limit and cup loose without a warning.
Don't want to continue the threadjack, but I must disagree with both of your comments regarding too much stress on suspension parts and the slicks cutting loose at their limit without warning.

As to the suspension, IMO the Porsche engineers designed the GT3 suspension to handle track event stresses, even those rendered by slicks. As neither one of have any imperical or documentary evidence to the support our positions, I guess we will have to leave this point to the realm of IMO only.

As for slicks cutting loose without warning, it just isn't true for all slicks. I believe it could be true for some slicks, but I do not have experience with those that go away without warning. The slicks I have run (Hoosier R6 & Michelin Porsche Cup) both give plenty of warning before just cutting loose. The Hoosiers obviously squeal like a little pig because of their two micro-tread grooves when you are at the limit or close to it. When you hear the squeal, "there's your warning sign."

As for the Michelin Porsche Cup tires, which are made out of "unobtainium," they don't squeal like the Hoosiers, but they definitely give you warnings. The first sign from the Michelins is simply that they will become a little "greasy." The next sign is that your ***-end is leading the charge out of the corner. A driver is best advised to look for the first sign and avoid waiting until the second sign before adjusting your driving.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
When most of us talk about "slicks", we are talking about a true slick racing tire with no pretensions of street legality or road use. The Hoosier R6 and Michelin pilot sport cup are DOT "R compound" tires that meet some minimum definition of street legal. There is a significant difference in the behavior and ulimate grip between a true slick and a R-compound tire.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by prg
When most of us talk about "slicks", we are talking about a true slick racing tire with no pretensions of street legality or road use. The Hoosier R6 and Michelin pilot sport cup are DOT "R compound" tires that meet some minimum definition of street legal. There is a significant difference in the behavior and ulimate grip between a true slick and a R-compound tire.
I understand the Hoosier R6 is a DOT tire, so I will acknowledge your point; however, the Michelin Porsche Cup tire to which I was referring was not the Pilot Sport Cup, but instead, the Porsche Cup tire used in the IMSA GT3 Cup Series, so it is a "true slick" and I have driven on it and it does give the driver warning before it "cuts loose." I spun my 996 on the Michelin Porsche Cup tire and I knew I was going to spin 3 corners prior to it, but I was testing and wanted to keep pushing to see how predictable and controllable the spin could be. I found the tire to be well mannered when pushed past its limits.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
HRE Wheels is infamous around these parts
As Fabryce noted, the HRE "Porsche Cup" wheel or our standard 18" Competition series wheels will fit over the PCCB brakes.

Chad

Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
And the HRE Cup wheels from GMG are awesome. I haven't had the privilege of running them, yet, but I will in the near future. I have had the privilege of seeing them run in competition and hearing their performance described by James Sofronas as compared to other wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18" wheels for PCCB