Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Can someone explain this pic of a CTR2 Sport ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Can someone explain this pic of a CTR2 Sport ?

This fine example is for sale on the Ruf Auto Centre (sale pending)...can someone explain the missing pedal ???? Was it a sequential box ? Scroll down and look at the interior pic

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...=3511&d_id=947

Old 03-05-2007, 09:00 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Jas,
It is a 6speed pedalless manual. (Not sequential) I drove a Ruf CTR in Puerto Rico with the same transmission/clutch. It was pretty amazing. The CTR 2 sport would be a wonderful addition to your collection. Check your PM as I know of another car that would fit very in your garage.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
thanks Luis...I'd like to hear more about that gearbox ! Also awaiting your pm !!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Yep, clutchless manual gearbox (I believe it was called PDK, like the new one that's coming out). The master-cylinder is activated by a plunger attached to a servo. There was a setup selling on eBay with a few bits and pieces missing, starting bid was something absurd and I don't remember seeing anyone bid on it. I think it was for sale by MS Road-Race.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
What Amir said. It is just like driving a regular manual but you do not have a clutch pedal. I keep kicking the floor untill I got used to it. . It was a blast to drive.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Wow that car is awesome and the transmission as well, would love to learn more about it, just put it in first and hit gas?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Wow that car is awesome and the transmission as well, would love to learn more about it, just put it in first and hit gas?
You sure do. You do everything you do with a regular manual except for press the pedal in.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
I keep kicking the floor untill I got used to it. ..

that's something I would do!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
wow. That's an amazing specimen.

Luis, what do you think it will fetch ($$)?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
I believe it was called PDK, like the new one that's coming out
Amir,

I believe it's called EKS.
One of my favorite options on these cars proved to be Ruf's semi-automatic shift system, the optional electronic clutch system.(EKS) which provides the convenience of clutchless driving with out the loss of power normally associated with any of the other clutchless systems which utilize a torque converter.

When we were at Ruf's we drove their second 993 BTR prototype, which has his EKS (Electronische Kupplung System) or in plain English an Electronic Clutch System. Alois Ruf had told me about this system almost two years ago in January 1993 when we met at the Porsche clubs Thunder Tech in Tampa Florida. At the time he was very enthusiastic about the system and I must admit I was not overly impressed with the concept, because I found myself lumping it together with the Sportomatic and Tiptronic transmission of Porsche.

The Ruf cars with the EKS have no clutch pedal and are similar in operation to the transmissions used in the modern Formula 1 cars. The clutch operation is controlled by electronic signals from a computer controlling hydraulic control circuits. The system responds to several different sensors: a gas pedal sensor for throttle position, a torque sensor in the gearshift lever so that it knows when you want to shift, and engine and car speed sensors. From the signals from these different sensors the EKS computer decides when and how to engage or disengage the rather conventional single plate clutch through a hydraulic actuator that moves the clutch throw out bearing. The EKS system is manufactured by the Sachs company and Ruf was their first customer and has helped Sachs to develop the system. Sachs wanted a small manufacture to work with so that they could gain practical experience with the system before they went after a mass market. Saab will be the first large volume manufacture to use the EKS type system in a volume production car in the 1995 model year. Saab will use the system in the Saab 900SE turbo and they will call their version of the clutchless EKS car the Sensonic. I guess they are calling their version the Sensonic because it senses when you want to shift, and the systems do indeed do just that. I am not sure about the sonic part.

I had not really expected to be impressed with this system or this car using the system because I have already had some clutchless Porsche experience with both the Porsche Sportomatic and the Porsche Tiptronic. My wife had a 911 Sportomatic for about ten years in the seventies and early eighties and I really expected this to be more of the same. I have always felt that these clutchless transmissions like the Sportomatic and the Tiptronic serve a purpose and are nice to drive, but are usually difficult to defend in a macho conversation. Incidentally speaking of the Porsche Tiptronic the newest version is called Tiptronic S and has the shift controls on the steering wheel like some of the Formula 1 cars do, but it is still an automatic transmission with a torque converter. The new Porsche Tiptronic S has two rocker switches for shifting, one on each side of the top spokes on the steering wheel. To shift up you push upwards on either of the switches (labeled "+") to engage the next higher gear and to shift down you push downwards on the button (labeled "-") for downshifts. All of this is aimed at adding to the enjoyment of driving a Porsche. These steering wheel controls are supplemental to the Tiptronic's standard dual-range console. And Porsche says that this update can be retrofitted to the 1994 version of the 993 as well.

After I drove the Ruf 993 prototype with the EKS I was so impressed with the operation of this combination of an automatic clutch and a manual six-speed transmission that I would now be willing to try to defend it in one of those macho conversations. You can bet that if I can afford it that I will try one in the "Project 911" that I am building. You loose absolutely no performance, yet you don't have to bother with a clutch. Its operation is computer controlled and it is definitely more consistent than most drivers and I would guess a lot smarter than some, including me. I honestly didn't miss the clutch pedal at all and only poked at the clutchless floor once and that was one time when I pulled to a stop to photograph one of the cars.

The Ruf EKS clutch system has been available since the Spring of 1992. Sixty EKS cars have been built and sold already and most of the cars that Ruf is building now are delivered with this option. Porsche also offers the EKS clutch system and has already built 20 3.6 911 Turbos with the EKS clutch system using their own five-speed transmissions. Porsche says that unfortunately this system will not be available for cars in the US because it has not been approved and they are concerned about product liability in the US market. Ruf will make his cars available here in the US with the EKS clutch and don't count this option out.

Most people who try any of the Porches which don't have a clutch pedal will say things like "I would consider one if I was going to do any serious city driving in a Porsche on a daily basis" But it seems even the drivers who do have to drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis never do opt for the clutchless driving, I think that it must just be that macho thing. The car that Stephan Roser, who works for Ruf, drives to work is a red Ruf RCT with the EKS clutch system and the Ruf six-speed transmission. Stefan Roser says that he loves it and he can make it talk. He commutes From his home in Stuttgart to Pfaffenhausen each day which is about 170 km (105 miles) each way and makes the trip in a little over an hour from door to door. He said that he has let a lot of race drivers drive the cars with EKS and they have all said that they like them and would like a car with that system for their own street use.

There are no losses through a torque converter like there was with the Sportomatic and with the more contemporary Tiptronic automatic transmission because the EKS uses a clutch and does not have a torque converter. Even with the Tiptronic S's new trick steering wheel shift mechanism, I would still rather have Ruf's EKS system than the Tiptronic. The performance is improved because there is no clutch lag time. With the EKS you have both the performance and the fuel economy of the manual transmission. But you have the advantage of being able to shift as fast as you can move your hand and you don't have to worry about coordinating that with the movement of your left foot.
One thing that I particularly like about Ruf's EKS installation was the vertically reading indicator in the lower part of the speedometer which tells you which gear you are in. I still have a little trouble in cars with six speed transmissions when I am just cruising along talking with my passenger I forget what gear I am in and this shift indicator is a great help for this.

The EKS system is sophisticated and there are a number of potential advantages over a conventional clutch. The clutch engagement is more precise than we can do by ourselves, so we will have less clutch wear. You cannot abuse the clutch as a lazy driver might with a normal foot activated clutch. If you miss a shift the computer will protect the engine by not engaging the clutch. The EKS system provides all of the advantages of being able to enjoy shifting gears without a clutch pedal in stop-and-go traffic or in high speed conditions. It is sporty yet comfortable, with flawless clutch engagement.

You can start out in first or second gear, but the computer wont let you start out in third. If you miss a shift on a down shift the will not engage, so the EKS will save you and your engine from yourself.
Read the rest of the article here.....

http://www.911handbook.com/articles/f_rufcar.html

Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Phoenix
wow. That's an amazing specimen.

Luis, what do you think it will fetch ($$)?
Not too many of these around. Over $200k. The CTR2 Sport is one of the many aircooled cars that I would give my left nut for. Here is a little Ruf ****.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
WOW... That's such an amazing car!! The CTR2 Sport is one of my all-time favorite cars!

I would love to try out that EKS transmission!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
The silver one is beautiful as well!

Thanks for the pics Luis. I think have those pics somewhere on my computer...

Last edited by NAPO; 03-05-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by NAPO

Thanks for the pics Luis.
Anytime, I you loves yourself some aircooled Turbos.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
DCM
DCM is infamous around these parts
I love these cars. One of my all time favorites.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain this pic of a CTR2 Sport ?