Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT3 really a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
CyE55 is infamous around these parts
After driving the GT3 all weekend, I drove the E55 to the office this morning.

AAhhhhh, what a nice ride! Fast, quiet, satellite radio, iPod mmmm.

They each have their strengths, I think of it like this:

E55 = Making Love.
GT3 = #$%king!!

I wouldn't drive the GT3 as a DD, but I can't wait to get it on the track!

Cyrus

Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 05997S
I got to ride in one today and would DD it without question. IMO, its noticeably more livable then the 996 GT3.
must be the sunroof

couldn't resist. I agree, the rawness of the GT3 is gone with the 997...probably makes it a more comfortable street car.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally Posted by rockitman
must be the sunroof

couldn't resist. I agree, the rawness of the GT3 is gone with the 997...probably makes it a more comfortable street car.
far from the truth...the suspension is just better tuned but I took my friend for a ride who has owned and tracked 2-996 GT3's and currently has a Clubsport GT2 and he told me the ride with the PASM "on" which I use often is stiffer then any of his 3 cars..so the rawness is gone? Where ? The enigine is more powerful and just as rough...the car is no worse to drive then the 993 was as a daily...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
emilgh is infamous around these partsemilgh is infamous around these parts
I'm a firm believer in performance cars as a daily driver. Every drive should be a fun drive. If your idea of fun is an E55, go with that. If your idea of fun is a GT3, go with that.

I used to use a 2004 Gallardo as a daily driver when I was living in Newport Beach. Was great -- even on those occasional 2 hour trips to Hollywood. I used to drive a 993 Carrera S as a daily when I lived on Long Island and commuted 50-ish miles each way every day to Manhattan.

Last week, driving the GT3 across 57th Street (I take the bridge to avoid the ire of law enforcement at my lack of front plate) was the first time I was ever in a performance car on a street thinking, "Geez, this is rough. If I had to do this every day, I might not enjoy this." About an hour later I was down at a friend's house in Tribeca. Driving across the cobble stone streets down there was similarly unpleasant. For me, I'd use a GT3 and find the roads to skip.

Enjoy your drive.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:40 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Marc997GT3
far from the truth...the suspension is just better tuned but I took my friend for a ride who has owned and tracked 2-996 GT3's and currently has a Clubsport GT2 and he told me the ride with the PASM "on" which I use often is stiffer then any of his 3 cars..so the rawness is gone? Where ? The enigine is more powerful and just as rough...the car is no worse to drive then the 993 was as a daily...
I agree with Marc. The car felt as tight as a 996 GT3 maybe more so and the exhaust note is ungodly, gave me goosebumps. It still felt like the rock solid no nonsense track car the 996 GT3 is but just better. Maybe cause we didn't open the sunroof.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jmmitias
I live in Mississippi, which have some bad roads and good ones so it runs the whole spectrum. The 997GT3 is comfortable and easily a daily driver. I use it that way now. I would definitely put regular PS2 tires for the rain and keep the Cup tires for the track.

I think Porsche outdid themselves on this car. I drove it to Road Atlanta March 4th for a track day and I was very impressed with the comfort on the drive and stunned by the performance on the track. The 996GT3 was not acceptable for long drives as sharp expansion joint type bumps sent shock waves through the car and it tramlined terribly. The 997GT3 was worlds better and I wasn't tired on my arrival to Atlanta. It is much better damped. It does have significant road noise but that doesn't bother me. The only thing is that it scrapes on everything, and after you get used to that sound and realize that the front end is not going to rip off, then you ignore it.

The only car that I like better than the GT3 for the street is the Ferrari F430. If you want a street/track car then there really is no substitute for the 997GT3.
this is a clear view of the car. i drive mine m-f.
  • i never ripped off a front lip on 4 996 gt3's, nor 3 gt2's but i'm pretty sure i will on this car
  • i would replace "430" with strad... but the 3 is more useful with space behind seats, they come out even tho' as strad has more passenger space

Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
fayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura about
I'll be daily driving the GT3RS if that helps.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
loki_ut is infamous around these parts
I've got a GT3 and I drive it every day. It's the best looking car on the street, who wouldn't want to drive it around town and to work everyday!

It drives great!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Oh sure, no problem.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by loki_ut
I've got a GT3 and I drive it every day. It's the best looking car on the street, who wouldn't want to drive it around town and to work everyday!

It drives great!
we need MORE pics of YOUR COBALT BEAUTY sir!