Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Car Rigistration in CA nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
Definition of a nonresident vehicle
A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in this state.

Here you go. All you need is smog check and a vehicle inspection from the dmv. I get cars from florida and thats all i have to do.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
CyE55 is infamous around these parts
If you have a AAA membership go to an AAA office and they'll take care of you, or if you don't have a membership, sign up for one, I think it's only $50 per year, and then go into an AAA office and have them take care of it.

Did I mention going to an AAA office ???

Cyrus

Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 PM
ssarchi is infamous around these parts
If you read the California link, the only issue is when the vehicle w/ less than 7,500 miles is NOT a 50 state vehicle. Everyone keeps saying how easy it is to bring one in and that must be because each of these vehicles is 50 state certified.

I guess that most porsches, ferraris and audis are certified in all states?

Excellent reading comprehension and problem solving question.......

Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
akinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud of
Solved

You guys are right.

Just spoke to the registration department in Sacramento, finaly the head supervisor was the only one who verified the info that if the car is a 50 state certified car, than it is exempt and therfore could be registered.

I still have to go into my local DMV to register the car and deal with people who do not belive the application is acceptable.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by akinla
You guys are right.

Just spoke to the registration department in Sacramento, finaly the head supervisor was the only one who verified the info that if the car is a 50 state certified car, than it is exempt and therfore could be registered.

I still have to go into my local DMV to register the car and deal with people who do not belive the application is acceptable.
Make and appointement on the net, get all the forms from the website and fill out, get smog, bill of sale, get inspected at DMV (you can make a seperate appointement for that 30 minutes prior to your registration meeting. Go to window at appointement time with all forms and in 30 minutes and one large check later you will be on your way. Good luck!

JCM

Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 PM
soarteeth is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CyE55
If you have a AAA membership go to an AAA office and they'll take care of you, or if you don't have a membership, sign up for one, I think it's only $50 per year, and then go into an AAA office and have them take care of it.

Did I mention going to an AAA office ???

Cyrus
I don't think AAA can register a new out of state vehicle, has to be done at the DMV. I called my AAA office in the OC and they wouldn't do it.

Also DMV won't take a credit card for payment of fees, has to be a debit card or check.

Last edited by soarteeth; 04-20-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by soarteeth
I don't think AAA can register a new out of state vehicle, has to be done at the DMV. I called my AAA office in the OC and they wouldn't do it.

Also DMV won't take a credit card for payment of fees, has to be a debit card or check.
You are correct on both accounts. DMV has to handle all out of state cars, because they want to do safety inspection personally. However I have been told the Highway Patrol can also do the safety inspection.

JCM