Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Car Rigistration in CA nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 PM
akinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud of
Car Rigistration in CA nightmare

Scenario: a 2007 model car with less than 1000 miles was purchased from out of state.
Car is paid in full and is now in California.
DMV tells you you can not register the car (see below) what do you do?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
So what do they do when you buy a new vehicle in California?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
fayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura about
Don't you just have to get a smog check at this point? (And probably pay tax on it too.)

Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
just kick california out of the union and send it up to canada.... move to texas...call it a day

Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 PM
AaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the rough
Get some dealer plates or borrow some.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 AM
TaxGuy is infamous around these parts
I've registered several cars in California that were purchased out of state. You just need a smog check. You have to pay the registration and sales tax. You're supposed to register the vehicle within 10 days of bringing it into th state I believe.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
soarteeth is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fayence
Don't you just have to get a smog check at this point? (And probably pay tax on it too.)

I purchased my GT3 from out of state and had no problems getting it registered. You need to get a smog check, have the out of state title, fill out a form and pay the taxes and registration fee. It took about 45 minutes to get it done at the DMV. If you paid any tax or registration fees in the state you bought your GT3 in make sure you have receipts. Out of state taxes paid can be credited to what you will owe to Arnold.

Go to www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm for the steps involved.

You have 20 days to get it registered.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I bought a 2003 GT2 in Mass. with 800 miles on it. Shipped it to California and had it registered. You have 20 days after it arrives to register. You need a smog check and a safety check (done at DMV). There are also several DMV forms you need to fill out (all are on their web site), plus a bill of sale. You have to pay taxed on your bill of sale purchase price and DMV registration fees also based on bill of sale price.

In addition in the engine bay you should see a silver plaque that says the car meets emmission, including California. That is what they will be looking for at the DMV. All USA Porsche's meet emmission for all 50 states.

Now if you thought you could register without paying taxes, you now know about the 7,500 mile rule (bummer).

Good luck,

JCM

Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 AM
emilgh is infamous around these partsemilgh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TaxGuy
I've registered several cars in California that were purchased out of state. You just need a smog check. You have to pay the registration and sales tax. You're supposed to register the vehicle within 10 days of bringing it into th state I believe.
That's correct. I did that 3 times in 2006.

- Challenge Stradale (Had 300 miles on it)
- A8L (Had 700 miles on it when I bought it -- 4k by the time it got to CA -- it was our support vehicle for th 2006 Bullrun)
- F430 (Had 100 miles on it)

Bought the cars from out of state without paying taxes. Shipped them in to CA. Took them for a smog. Drove them to DMV for visual inspection. Went inside with inspection form and paid taxes. Done.

Last edited by emilgh; 04-19-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 AM
akinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud ofakinla has much to be proud of
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies.

However, I spoke to several supervisors over the phone at 2 different DMV offices as well as an independent rigistration service and they all said the same thing. CA does not allow you to register a current year car (2007) with less than 7500 miles and that I would have to ship it back to the state it came from and register it there.
Dumm.
So what now? Help.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
If you got it from a dealer, they should step in and help you out a bit.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
What about the rule on that page that states:
"Check the Label
To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California. "

Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Something doesn't sound right about that. Even my office manager brought a 2007 vehicle in from NV and registered it here in CA.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
keoni1978 is infamous around these parts
make an appt and go into the DMV. Something doesnt sound right. smog, DMV onsite inspection, pay taxes and that should be it. If I remember correctly, you dont even need an appt for inspection. GL

Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
All you need is a smog check and vin inspection from the dmv. And you can register your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Rigistration in CA nightmare