Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Just how much better of a performer is the 997 GT3 over the 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
That would definately be a driver's race. I have yet to loose to a stock 996TT, but Mr.Blonde ran a faster 1/4 mile time with his 996TT than I did with my car.
Any non LUIS 996gt3 will lose to a 996TT....I wouldnt take on LUIS in a Geo Metro, he IS that good ...Kevin

Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Any non LUIS 996gt3 will lose to a 996TT....I wouldnt take on LUIS in a Geo Metro, he IS that good ...Kevin

Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned
tamaneri is infamous around these parts
luis got skills? i wanna see em =)

Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
frayed is infamous around these parts
I think looking at hp, 0-60 and 1/4 times sort of misses the point of the GT3.

While that stuff matters, when talking 'performance,' hp and acceleration times are just one part of the picture.

From my perspective, going to the track frequently (or, at least I used to), what the 996 GT3 needed was NOT more power, but a better chassis. In this respect, the 997 delivers. IN SPADES.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
To most car enthusiasts, including myself...the term "performance" is defined by three measurable components: acceleration, braking, and handling. The Nurburgring is considered the ultimate test of a street cars "performance" capabilites.

With the same driver, the 997 GT3 is only 6 seconds faster than the 996 GT3 around the Nurburgring even though is has the traction advantage of R-compound tires.

Do I believe those that say that the 997 is the superior GT3 overall? Yes, I absolutely believe that. But in terms of only "performance", and nothing more...they seem to be nearly identical.

That said, the 996 GT3 seems to be a tremendous bargain at its current price point.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-01-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
To most car enthusiasts, including myself...the term "performance" is defined by three measurable components: acceleration, braking, and handling. The Nurburgring is considered the ultimate test of a street cars "performance" capabilites.
Disagree. The nordschleife is well known to be slanted toward hp cars, and is certainly not a true measure of a cars performance on a short track like those in the US.

Further, your definition ignores how accessible the acceleration, braking and handling of a car. If on paper performance is all car enthusiasts are concerened about, then we would all be driving Z06s. This is why internet boards, car clubs, and mags exist, b/c a car's spec sheet is only part of the story, just like a loudspeaker's frequency response is only part of the story.

With the same driver, the 997 GT3 is only 6 seconds faster than the 996 GT3 around the Nurburgring even though is has the traction advantage of R-compound tires.
Don't get too excited about the dumbed down 19" MPSCs on the GT3. They aren't the same as the 18's. . .and you are comparing lap times years apart. But I'm not a big fan of MPSCs.

Flawed as it was, take a look at Excellence comparo from a few months back for a nice comparo from an enthusiast (Pete Stout) and a pro racer (Overbeek) on the same track, same day. I suggest you read particularly Overbeek's comments on the binary responses of the 996 relative to the tactile feel of the 997.

That said, the 996 GT3 seems to be a tremendous bargain at its current price point.
Agreed.

If the price difference b/t the two cars is of concern to you, then the 996 is the obvious buy and truly a bargain. I sold my 996 GT3 to move to the 997 chassis w/o hesitation after driving the 997.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Originally Posted by frayed
.Don't get too excited about the dumbed down 19" MPSCs on the GT3. They aren't the same as the 18's. . .and you are comparing lap times years apart. But I'm not a big fan of MPSCs. .
as much as you are not a fan of the Cups... they are a FAR SUPERIOR tire over the PSII 18's or 19's... and the power of the 997 helps also... but I will say it def is a better car....but how much better... some teams will pay $100,000 for a couple seconds faster around a track... what are you willing to spend when it is for fun?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
For fun? Uhh, well, that's why I bought the 997. It's a far better car on the street, that is, its a far more enjoyable car where most cars will rack up miles, and still a better car on track.

What's not to like?

I found the 996 GT3 to be a PITA on the street frankly. On track, it was fantastic! I wish it was as enjoyable on my daily canyon road commute as it was on my track days. If it was I would still have it.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
For fun? Uhh, well, that's why I bought the 997. It's a far better car on the street, that is, its a far more enjoyable car where most cars will rack up miles, and still a better car on track.

What's not to like?

I found the 996 GT3 to be a PITA on the street frankly. On track, it was fantastic! I wish it was as enjoyable on my daily canyon road commute as it was on my track days. If it was I would still have it.
for fun.. YES.. you didn't buy it for basic transportation did you?

I bet that thing is AMAZING at the track...would have loved to have one today when I was at the track

Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
super996TT is infamous around these parts
997 is a much better car

Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
rr4
rr4 is infamous around these parts

Do I believe those that say that the 997 is the superior GT3 overall? Yes, I absolutely believe that. But in terms of only "performance", and nothing more...they seem to be nearly identical.

The MPSC's that are outfitted on the 997GT3 and RS are not the "Cup Tires" that we are used to seeing. They are a new tires specifically designed for the 997GT3 and in Porsche's words, these tires "sacrifice dry grip for wet grip". They would be a slower tire than the traditional MPSC - even though they are a faster tire than what was put on the 996GT3.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Agreed. In my opinion they give up some of the tactile feedack of PS2s and don't have the grip of 'real' MPSCs. For track enthusiasts, a better solution is a set of 18's with dedicated R comps (I'm partial to Toyos, but would run Hooters if I trailered my car), and run a good street tire like a PS2 on the street. For guys who don't track, a PS2 is a superior tire for street use for a variety of reasons

In my thinking the only real application of current MPSC on the 997 GT3/RS is for those who casually go to the track and don't want to be bothered with tire/wheel swaps.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
ZRW
ZRW is infamous around these parts
Talking hmm.

Let's refine the debate a little.

In terms of absolute, uncompromising performance, there may not be much between the 996 and 997 GT3 strains...

But put 25 drivers of varying skill levels behind both cars, the 997 will yield faster laptimes and significantly so. The key is to keep drivers like Horst and Walter out of this mix.

I think Porsche has done an otherworldly job of making more of the GT3 performance envelope available to mortals with the 997 generation. To have done this without alienating purists is a bonus.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On tires - PS2s last longer. Behave better in the rain. Probably age better too.

But MPSCs elevate a car's dry weather performance envelope significantly. Superior. Period.

Cheers,

Z.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
I've owned two 996 GT3's and have driven both the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS.

To the average driver, a 996 is more car than most can ring 10/10ths out of a track.

A 997 GT3 has a better suspension and it helps the average driver more than the 996 setup did. In the hands of a Wolf Henzler or Patrick Long, they will be faster in a 997.

With that said, a recent Euro Magazine did a comparison and the "infamous" 0-60 time has the cars neck-to-neck. This debate will rage for years and my perspective comes from a Porsche fanatic that loves the older, ltw cars.

Yes, as Luis can attest, I've been waiting for the prices to drop and in the 60-70 range, a 996 GT3 is an unbelievable car but the 997 GT3 is the best Porsche built to date, hands down.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Flawed as it was, take a look at Excellence comparo from a few months back for a nice comparo from an enthusiast (Pete Stout) and a pro racer (Overbeek) on the same track, same day. I suggest you read particularly Overbeek's comments on the binary responses of the 996 relative to the tactile feel of the 997.
I agree. The Excellence gave great insight into the characteristics of the 2 cars. If you are looking for a pure track toy AND a good price then the 996 is the way to go. The 996 is an absolute bargain at $70k+. However, if you are looking for a more flexible car(DD vs. track use vs. wknd car) then the 997 GT3 is the way to go.

One is a scapel the other is almost like a swiss army knife.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just how much better of a performer is the 997 GT3 over the 996 GT3?