Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Just how much better of a performer is the 997 GT3 over the 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM
rr4
rr4 is infamous around these parts
The car in Excellence WASNT STOCK. It was modified and even then a stock 997GT3 was turning better lap times than the modified 996GT3 in that article. The 996GT3 in that article was gutted, and its suspension was modified and it STILL couldn't track like the STOCK 997GT3 could.

That Excellence article was so full of crap. They couldn't stop babbling on and on how good the 996GT3 feels compared to the new one yet EVEN modified it couldn't touch the 997GT3's lap times. What do you think is going to happen when the 997GT3 is modded to the extent that 996GT3 was?? Guys give me a break. The 996 was a good GT3 but it isn't as good as the 997's.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by frayed
Disagree. The nordschleife is well known to be slanted toward hp cars, and is certainly not a true measure of a cars performance on a short track like those in the US.
What? Then, why every single performance cars bother to test on the ring?

Anyway, I think I like this thread since GT3 is possibly my next car and I've been researching a lot about it. Test drove one (996) last weekend and it was a blast.

Also, I just want to add that MPSC (whether it's porsche N spec or regular one) is more performance orientated than regular PS2s. Call Mitchellin if you guys want and ask for the compounds they uses and whatever. 4 or 5 out of 6 seconds that 997 GT3 being ahead of 996 is due to the tires. No doubt. Tires are single most important part especially on a big track like ring that is 22km long with so many corners.

I agreed with 997 GT3 = tone down (user friendly) version of 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS. Porsche put a lot of people off with putting a sunroof on that car as well as Nav and other pretty stuff; at the same time, forcing a lot of people (a purists who cares only about performance and drivings) to buy the 997 RS versions.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
frayed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by datax
Testing on the Nordschleife provides valuable feedback on performance, but it's not a total measure of a car's performance. As I stated above, its well recognized as a hp track. It's an 8 minute track with lots of high speed sections that slant laptimes to higher hp cars. To get a better picture, you need to look at the Hockenheimring times as well.

Also, I just want to add that MPSC (whether it's porsche N spec or regular one) is more performance orientated than regular PS2s. Call Mitchellin if you guys want and ask for the compounds they uses and whatever. 4 or 5 out of 6 seconds that 997 GT3 being ahead of 996 is due to the tires. No doubt. Tires are single most important part especially on a big track like ring that is 22km long with so many corners.
I've driven all of those Mitchellins as well as Hoosiers, Toyos, and Kumhos. I've yet to drive on the Nitto road race tires. I don't think anyone is advocating that the Mitchellin PSCs don't increase performance over PS2s. Not sure what your point is. BTW, I've owned and tracked a 996 GT3 with PS2s and MPSCs, and now have a 997 GT3 with, of course, the N spec watered down MPSCs.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about

Anyway, I think I like this thread since GT3 is possibly my next car and I've been researching a lot about it. Test drove one (996) last weekend and it was a blast.

I agreed with 997 GT3 = tone down (user friendly) version of 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS. Porsche put a lot of people off with putting a sunroof on that car as well as Nav and other pretty stuff; at the same time, forcing a lot of people (a purists who cares only about performance and drivings) to buy the 997 RS versions.
i don't see how the 997GT3 is anymore toned down than the 996GT3... in ROW models there are NO SUNROOFs... NAV is a option and could be added to all of the models you've listed above (996GT3, 997GT3RS)... mind that both 997GT3 and RS has Traction Control and such... i really doubt only purists will buy the RS (actually its the other way around)... the way i see it is purists like me who wants to actually enjoy the car could not get one because most allocations went to people trying to make cash or garage queen lovers... i mean just check how many RSs are forsale in the US already with little to no miles on them and what asking $40,000 over MSRP??? thats just a waste of a amazing car... just my 0.02

Alan

Last edited by 6088TTS; 05-10-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
i mean just check how many RSs are forsale in the US already with little to no miles on them and what asking $40,000 over MSRP??? thats just a waste of a amazing car... just my 0.02

Alan
I wish it was "only" $40k. Try $60k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
I bet they are still selling RSs like a hot cakes.

i don't see how the 997GT3 is anymore toned down than the 996GT3... in ROW models there are NO SUNROOFs... HAV is a option and could be added to all of the models you've listed above (996GT3, 997GT3RS)... mind that both 997GT3 and RS has Traction Control and such... i really doubt only purists will buy the RS (actually its the other way around)... the way i see it is purists like me who wants to actually enjoy the car could not get one because most allocations went to people trying to make cash or garage queen lovers... i mean just check how many RSs are forsale in the US already with little to no miles on them and what asking $40,000 over MSRP??? thats just a waste of a amazing car... just my 0.02

Alan
The porsche dealer said sunroof cannot be delete on 997 GT3s. And, I didn't know there's an sunroof option for the RS.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM

The porsche dealer said sunroof cannot be delete on 997 GT3s..
Correct. The post above is referencing ROW models, not US models.

And, I didn't know there's an sunroof option for the RS.
There isn't.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
The arquments here a getting pointless.

The 997 GT3 feels no less "raw" than the 996 GT3. With the improved exhaust note, it actually sounds more like a Ferrari Challenge Car, which a 355 Challenge car is more raw than either Porsche.

Again, very few people can drive either car at it's limit. The 996 GT3 will get you in trouble a bit more quickly due to the suspension versus the 997 GT3. Also, the 997 GT3 RS is actually more preditcable due to the wider base. Sans a ltw flywheel, the cars are virtually identical.

As stated eariler in this post. Both are phenominal cars. For mid 60's and up, the 996 is an incredible value. If you can swing the extra 40-50K, the 997 GT3 is a better car.

I am more than happy to take anyone that volunteers their 996 or 997 GT3's for some hot laps at Road Atlanta and determine which is a better car. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day off from work.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:18 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ritesh
I wish it was "only" $40k. Try $60k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem
its just foolish seeing all these DRIVER'S CAR go to people trying to make a few quick bucks off of them... ITS SAD and totally wrong!!!

Alan

Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 AM
I bet they are still selling RSs like a hot cakes.

The porsche dealer said sunroof cannot be delete on 997 GT3s. And, I didn't know there's an sunroof option for the RS.
no one said the sunroof could be deleted on the 997GT3 US cars... and there is no Sunroof option for the RS... everything about my post was refering to ROW models... either sunroof or not i bet 99.9% of all GT3 owners would NOT feel a difference... and i am actually extremely happy to have the sunroof (it adds more down force when you tilt it) and its amazing when opened and going through a tunnel at the same time... IMO there is nothing bad about it (only a BONUS)...

Alan

Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
(it adds more down force when you tilt it)

+1

Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DHinkle
The arquments here a getting pointless.

The 997 GT3 feels no less "raw" than the 996 GT3. With the improved exhaust note, it actually sounds more like a Ferrari Challenge Car, which a 355 Challenge car is more raw than either Porsche.

Again, very few people can drive either car at it's limit. The 996 GT3 will get you in trouble a bit more quickly due to the suspension versus the 997 GT3. Also, the 997 GT3 RS is actually more preditcable due to the wider base. Sans a ltw flywheel, the cars are virtually identical.

As stated eariler in this post. Both are phenominal cars. For mid 60's and up, the 996 is an incredible value. If you can swing the extra 40-50K, the 997 GT3 is a better car.

I am more than happy to take anyone that volunteers their 996 or 997 GT3's for some hot laps at Road Atlanta and determine which is a better car. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day off from work.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you Mr. Dinkle. Aside from the exhaust note, which I love as compared to the 996GT3, the 7 is much more refined than the 6. The 6 feels more raw because the of suspension and how it can bite you. The 7 is well sorted and the bottom line is it's easier to drive.

I was able to turn faster laps the first time in a 7 than a 6 that I was much more familiar with. My impression was mainly due to the way the 7 absorbs the imperfections in the track and allows one to stay on the power longer and deeper than with the 6.

The power band in the 7 is also much more linear than with 6 where you get a thrust at about 6k to redline.

Aside from performance, the 7's interior is much better with perceived better build quality. The exterior looks of the 7 are better as well (aside from the rear wing where I prefer the 6 wing vs. the 7's taco shaped wing).

All that being said, when you compare what you can get with a $70-80K 996GT3 as compared to what is out there, I would have to say that the 996 GT3 is a performance value that cannot be beat!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Formula1
All that being said, when you compare what you can get with a $70-80K 996GT3 as compared to what is out there, I would have to say that the 996 GT3 is a performance value that cannot be beat!

Yep, eggszachary. That's why I sold my base 997 and got into a 996 GT3

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
The 7 is more refined in the sense that it is not as raw (NVH), but OTOH, it offers as much if not more feedback to the driver and is actually a stiffer car (stiffer shell and stiffer springs). NVH is not something I crave.

Less NVH, more sorted suspension, better build quality, better interior and exterior by a notable margin, faster, sounds better, and optional pull-your-eyeballs-from-your-skull-PCCBs, more progressive less binary better steering, shifter and brake action, what's not to like?

The 6 is a bargain and for bargain hunters is the obvious choice. But lets not kid ourselves. As a previous 6 owner and having now owned two 7s, the price independent choice is clear.

My only reservation is reported understeer on track with the 7 (I haven't been on track yet; next week).

Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
I didn't experience any understeer with the 7. Agreed on the 7 being stiffer.

Get back to us next week Frayed and let us know if you witnessed any understeer. Which track?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just how much better of a performer is the 997 GT3 over the 996 GT3?