Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Oil level gauge reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
2007GT3 is infamous around these parts
Question Oil level gauge reliability

I picked up my new black/black/black (the wheels are body color) 2007 GT3 last week, and I have noticed that the oil level gauge appears to measure the oil level unreliably. After about 120 miles, I checked the oil, and it was on the lowest bar and flashing. I added about .5 qt of Mobil 1 0W40, which brought it up to full (three bars illuminated). This itself seemed odd, given that it's my understanding that each of the measurement bars accounts for about .5 qts of oil.

Since then the gauge has measured from full (3 bars) to 1 bar. All the measurements were taken in the same place (my garage, which is level concrete), so it can't be due to different measurement angles. There is no obvious indication of oil consumption (i.e., smoking), so I'm beginning to wonder if there is an oil level sensor out of whack. For example, after a drive this afternoon, I checked the oil level in my garage, and it was at 1 bar. Then I turned off the engine for a minute, restarted it, measured the oil again, and it was showing full (3 bars).

Has anyone had this kind of issue? Might it be a faulty oil level sensor or something in the ECU. I wonder if there might be a diagnostic code that might be thrown to indicate some problem.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
i've noticed exactly the same thing with my GT3's oil gauge... it sometimes gives different readings 5 minutes apart...

Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
chk the oil hot, drive it, park, ignition on, wait a few minutes, measure it. it should be DEAD accurate. if it is not, something is wrong with your particular car. have your dealer fix it.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Alan Ryall is infamous around these parts
gt3 oil level

mine does the same thing.Take the reading hot and at idle and it measures low,at last mark. Shut down and immediately restart and we measure full.I am sure we are seeing a refill of the oil sump on the second reading.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
The electronic gauge on my '04 is inconsistent as well. I do not rely on it all. I use the dipstick.

A year or so ago, the dealer tech found this when he told me the oil was overfull. I noted to him that the gauge just the day before told me I was a little low. We checked via dipstick, and it showed I was a little low. I kept an eye on it for awhile after that, and determined not to use the electronic measurement.

Last edited by LTCJMRamos; 05-07-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Mine goes between 2 and 3 bars as well however as long as you are between the markers you are ok and can add on the bottom line 1/2 qt and check again you dont want to overfill...make sure car is hot and on leverl surface etc etc like others stated...