Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 confirmed but I get screwed out of greed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 PM
bumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond repute
This sucks Rob. How about starting a website w/your story and comments - sure others will chime in as well.

http://www.pacificporschesucks.com is available

Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 AM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
For $200k, it really should be limited production, but 200 is kinda small. 500 should be the limit and it would still retain its value just as well.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Most dealers would sell their kids up the river to make a few extra bucks. There are some out their with morals but it's getting rarer and rarer. You obviously were a good customer and they still want to grab the quick 100 g profit (maybe). At least they didn't give you that "other" BS story that "the owner decided to keep it for himself", which lasts about 10 miles. As for Porsche "limiting" production, they did that last time and it blew up after the people with FU money got theirs. Dealers thought everyone was willing to pay the already inflated sticker plus over for a long time and the cars sat. The same thing will happen here unless they price it right, which is doubtful, b/c Porsche is greedier than the dealers. They should just give up trying to compete with Ferrari on the resale/exclusivity thing and leave that losing battle to the likes of A-M and Lambo. Why they aren't happy to make an excellent product at a nice profit and not put the screws to their customers in some ways is beyond me. We should stop kidding ourselves about 996, 997 and future model resale as things have changed big time from the 993 onward and it will NEVER go back. There's too many people out there with money wanting new, willing to pay for it and then dump it when the next thing tickles their fancy. I wish you luck in getting the car you were supposed to have and hope they get stuck with one or 2.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Just love how dealers love to ***** slap their loyal customers....

Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
Porsches aren't supposed to be Ferraris. They are supposed to be attainable and within reach, that's how Porsche has always been -- affordable sports cars with amazing performance.
Porsche has always made affordable and attainable models... today's 987 and base 997 lines, for example.

The over $100K base price "specialty cars" (Turbos, GT cars) can and should be built in somewhat limited quantities so value and specialty are retained.

"A guy's sleepin' and can't get a car" - too bad. "A poser decides he wants to buy something today for $125K" - buy something else. Neither Porsche or its buyers need surplus $100K+ cars sitting on lots. Someone can always get the Porsche experience with a new 987/997 (or a used flagship model, for that matter).

Porsche saw what happened with the 996TT... cars sitting on lots, ultimately selling for $10K+ off, and their low value in the used car market. Any way you cut it, this devalues/tarnishes the brand. Some Porsche models must stay somewhat rare and exclusive. That's the nature of an exclusive marque such as Porsche.

Porsche's (considerable) bread and butter is made on Cayennes, 987s and 997s. They don't need to over produce the specialty cars.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
997 Gt2

I have a deposit and have been told that I have the number one spot at my dealer for the new GT2. However, they will not commit to sell to me at MSRP.
Something tells me they are going for a highest bid/market pricing strategy. I've purchased 2 new cars within the last 3 years with all major service performed at this dealership. Seems like my deposit and business at this dealership is inconsequential

Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
I think this is Porsche NA fault. Take Lotus for example...can't mark up from MSRP...can reduce, but no mark up. Also my experience at Ferrari is that if you are on the list and willing to "wait" for your car to be made...its MSRP. They take care of all the over paying customers and when the market slows and your car is "delivered" as per your order, then you p/u and stroke and msrp check.

Did the dealership give you interest on your $5k???? Think they need to do that per Cali law...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
was your salesman don smittle?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by oak
was your salesman don smittle?
He was mine, but Carl is making the decisions regarding the GT cars.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Rob
Porsche has always made affordable and attainable models... today's 987 and base 997 lines, for example.

The over $100K base price "specialty cars" (Turbos, GT cars) can and should be built in somewhat limited quantities so value and specialty are retained.

"A guy's sleepin' and can't get a car" - too bad. "A poser decides he wants to buy something today for $125K" - buy something else. Neither Porsche or its buyers need surplus $100K+ cars sitting on lots. Someone can always get the Porsche experience with a new 987/997 (or a used flagship model, for that matter).

Porsche saw what happened with the 996TT... cars sitting on lots, ultimately selling for $10K+ off, and their low value in the used car market. Any way you cut it, this devalues/tarnishes the brand. Some Porsche models must stay somewhat rare and exclusive. That's the nature of an exclusive marque such as Porsche.

Porsche's (considerable) bread and butter is made on Cayennes, 987s and 997s. They don't need to over produce the specialty cars.

If you had read the rest of my post you would see that I acknowledged this already

Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
For $200k, it really should be limited production, but 200 is kinda small. 500 should be the limit and it would still retain its value just as well.
If you're talking about this separate post, then yes, I see we share similar views. But limited build quantities shouldn't be, umm, limited (no pun) to a $180 - $200K GT2. The Turbo and GT3 should be limited, too. Maybe less so than a GT2, but still built with some exclusivity in mind. $120K+ is enough money to spend to expect some exclusivity and resale. My $.02...

From what I've heard from the dealer I bought the GT3 from, Porsche has realized its mistakes regarding over production of certain models and is modifying future output schedules. For this, I'm glad.

Last edited by Rob; 06-21-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Rob
If you're talking about this post, then yes, I see we share similar views. But limited build quantities shouldn't be, umm, limited (no pun) to a $180 - $200K GT2. The Turbo and GT3 should be limited, too. Maybe less so than a GT2, but still built with some exclusivity in mind. $120K+ is enough money to spend to expect some exclusivity and resale. My $.02...

From what I've heard from the dealer I bought the GT3 from, Porsche has realized its mistakes regarding over production of certain models and is modifying future output schedules. For this, I'm glad.

You're absolutely right, that should be kept in mind to protect the buyers, but one of the major appeals of the Turbo as opposed to an AM for example is that it's, as edmunds.com says, "Every man's every day supercar".

Over-production of anything is never good for the market!!

What if all cars (Turbo, GT3 non-RS) were only available from special order? That might keep the price and production down?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

I'm on board with the whole supply and demand argument people have posted but my point is what happened to customer service and keeping your word? It's a sad state of affairs when it only comes down to a few extra bucks and little or no attention is dedicated to customer service.

I'm glad that the internet allows us the opportunity to "discuss" these issues openly and honestly.

As far as I'm concerned the best way to proceed is to not give them my future business. I'm not interested in getting into a legal battle over a luxury item nor do I want to buy a car from someone who's "forced" to sell it to me. However, I do believe that we have a responsibility as a community to disclose this type of activity as it allows us as a group to show businesses that their actions are being scrutinized by the most important people of all, their "customers".

Cheers,

Rob

Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Rob
You're absolutely right, that should be kept in mind to protect the buyers, but one of the major appeals of the Turbo as opposed to an AM for example is that it's, as edmunds.com says, "Every man's every day supercar".

What if all cars (Turbo, GT3 non-RS) were only available from special order? That might keep the price and production down?

I think they mean "Every man can easily drive it quickly and daily". Certainly, every man can't afford a Turbo, even though their cost is more reasonable than certain other high performance cars. I know one thing... "every man" doesn't want to loose a ton on resale - hehe.

Of course we're gonna loose money on these cars. But loosing more than what we should for cars of this class just puts a bad taste in one's mouth. Because of the 996TT over production, I came real close to not buying another expensive Porsche. That possibility is not good for me or Porsche.

I don't think "special order only" availability is necessary in this league, but build slightly less than the anticipated demand, not equal to or more.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
What if base 997 or S variants stayed the same but just the flagships were limited?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 confirmed but I get screwed out of greed!