Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 confirmed but I get screwed out of greed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
Hey Rob,
Long time no see...Sorry to hear about that dealership BS....All I can tell you is try another dealer....oh and make sure it's yellow!
Jay

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
What if base 997 or S variants stayed the same but just the flagships were limited?
Sounds good to me!

Seriously though, I don't think Porsche should way over produce their base models either. It's bad for owners and bad for Porsche's image.

Available? Yes. Two for a dollar? No.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Oweyea
So I've been no. 1 on the list for the new 997 GT2 at Pacific Porsche in LA for 18 months and they called me today to say that even though I'm number one on the list I'm not getting it. They said that they're only getting one car period and that the owner decided to put it on the floor and see how much over MSRP they can get because production is limited to 200 units.

Now keep in mind that I've bought 5 new cars from them in the last 5 years over $600K and they do this BS move.

Needless to say, it's amazing how greedy they are!!

Any dealers out there want my future business?

Has it occurred to you that they may be doing you a favor? Most of Porsche's specialty cars have tanked in resale. The only one holding value today is the RS but I suspect the bottom will fall out of the car in the very near future. Porsche is now a main stream car manufaturer albeit a good one. Main stream cars rarely hold their value. They will never success in imitating Ferrari.

However, if you are intent on getting one, write or call Porsche NA. Let them know what happened and see if they step up and protect your purchase or at least possible get another car for you. There is no harm in trying.

Last edited by nberry; 06-21-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
Go buy a Ruf Rt 12 Turbo...it's in the same price ball park and a superior more exclusive car...I like having the roll cage for protection with those kind of speeds. If you can afford a GT2 you can afford a Ruf Rt 12 Turbo.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
BusyLivin is infamous around these parts
So I wasn't even given an option to bid over MSRP. They simply said we want to basically see what we can get on open market, "sorry".
This is pretty sad. Great way for them to ruin a great relationship.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
I agree, a Ruf is a great alternative. It's a real car with its own VIN (as I'm sure you're all well aware) and it's definitely an insane, exclusive, rare car.

But how is resale on Rufs? People may view them as tuner cars...or as real exotics.

That'd be my only question (and a big one at that)

Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Angry Time for a 6speed Blacklist?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

I'm on board with the whole supply and demand argument people have posted but my point is what happened to customer service and keeping your word? It's a sad state of affairs when it only comes down to a few extra bucks and little or no attention is dedicated to customer service.

I'm glad that the internet allows us the opportunity to "discuss" these issues openly and honestly.

As far as I'm concerned the best way to proceed is to not give them my future business. I'm not interested in getting into a legal battle over a luxury item nor do I want to buy a car from someone who's "forced" to sell it to me. However, I do believe that we have a responsibility as a community to disclose this type of activity as it allows us as a group to show businesses that their actions are being scrutinized by the most important people of all, their "customers".

Cheers,

Rob
My gut reaction from your first post was: If they can do this to a loyal & lasting customer, what would they do to a first-time customer who walked through the door to put money down on a new GT2? Answer: The same. Sad. I’m sure the idea of a “Blacklist” has been proposed on 6speed before…

While reading your thread-starting post, I felt like I’d been kicked in the groin. And while I can understand the whole supply and demand argument as well, your second post best sums up the most intelligent way to react.

Perhaps the best (or only) way to ensure this doesn’t happen to anyone who truly wants a special car is to put down multiple deposits at multiple dealers…like throwing darts…perhaps you’ll find an honest one in the bunch.

Last edited by Zeus; 06-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is infamous around these parts
Update

Hey guys it looks like my post did indeed strike a note with the Management of Pacific Porsche as they called me and were very upset.

Here is what they told me:

They continue to contend that as business entity they are allowed to price any car at what market conditions will allow. (Agreed, they sure can but I won't buy it!)

They said why should "we" sell the car at MSRP and then the client turns around after a couple of weeks and sells the car at a huge profit that we're not sharing in? They feel they got burned by a customer that did this recently with a GT3RS. (Isn't this common practice with all the Ferrari dealers? Don't they sell their cars to their best customers first at msrp? I assured them that was not my intent and that I fully plan to keep the car and eventually sell it back to them after a year like I did my other 4 cars I bought from them.)

They told me that since I "dragged their name through the mud" it's hard for them to "step up" with the owner and work a deal for me at MSRP. (Agreed, he's pissed and isn't doing me any favors). But they did say that "if" they get more than one car they'll give me a chance to bid for it but not at MSRP. (Thank you, at least now they're giving me a chance!)

In conclusion here is where I stand:

Should we as a group "Black Ball" Pacific Porsche? Absolutely NOT!

- Besides this incident Pacific Porsche has "always" done me right. So they screwed up in my opinion but I'll still do business with them because they've done me right "much more" than they've done me wrong.

- In "general" the folks at Pacific Porsche have been incredibly ethical and have actually bent over backwards to make things right for me on several occations.

Should we as a group be pissed by the "general" industry practice of msrp + market premium on new vehicles? Absolutely, MSRP is set so that the entire supply chain gets a nice profit. This market adjustment simply takes away good will from their best customers and transforms it to additional profit for the dealer. What I mean here is that customer loyalty is reduced when they starts to require these "market adjustments". If you walk in off the street and have never done any business with a dealer, sure you're just the general public and are most likely just trying to make a quick buck on a hot model. But if you're on their top 10 best repeat customers, come on guys give us a little here! It simply leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Costco who has one of the most profitable business models in the world, didn't go and charge me a "market adjustment" on my Play Station 3 when people were selling them at a huge premium on eBay! That's why I'm super loyal to them!

Thanks for all your comments and support.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by Oweyea; 06-23-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
If I were in your shoes, this would be my argument with the dealer:

--You (dealer) have every right to profit, in the same way the "flippers" do
--BUT, you promised me the first car at MSRP

If the dealer had told you, and every customer "we are only getting limited # of GT2's, so were are NOT taking deposits but will sell to highest bidder" there would be no problem--I agree they have every right to profit. But they should not agree to sell you (or anyone) the allocation at MSRP and then cancel the deal...that's the issue !

My $.02

Bill

Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Hey guys it looks like my post did indeed strike a note with the Management of Pacific Porsche as they called me and were very upset.

Here is what they told me:

They continue to contend that as business entity they are allowed to price any car at what market conditions will allow. (Agreed, they sure can but I won't buy it!)

They said why should "we" sell the car at MSRP and then the client turns around after a couple of weeks and sells the car at a huge profit that we're not sharing in? They feel they got burned by a customer that did this recently with a GT3RS. (Isn't this common practice with all the Ferrari dealers? Don't they sell their cars to their best customers first at msrp? I assured them that was not my intent and that I fully plan to keep the car and eventually sell it back to them after a year like I did my other 4 cars I bought from them.)

They told me that since I "dragged their name through the mud" it's hard for them to "step up" with the owner and work a deal for me at MSRP. (Agreed, he's pissed and isn't doing me any favors). But they did say that "if" they get more than one car they'll give me a chance to bid for it but not at MSRP. (Thank you, at least now they're giving me a chance!)

In conclusion here is where I stand:

Should we as a group "Black Ball" Pacific Porsche? Absolutely NOT!

- Besides this incident Pacific Porsche has "always" done me right. So they screwed up in my opinion but I'll still do business with them because they've done me right "much more" than they've done me wrong.

- In "general" the folks at Pacific Porsche have been incredibly ethical and have actually bent over backwards to make things right for me on several occations.

Should we as a group be pissed by the "general" industry practice of msrp + market premium on new vehicles? Absolutely, MSRP is set so that the entire supply chain gets a nice profit. This market adjustment simply takes away good will from their best customers and transforms it to additional profit for the dealer. What I mean here is that customer loyalty is reduced when they starts to require these "market adjustments". If you walk in off the street and have never done any business with a dealer, sure you're just the general public and are most likely just trying to make a quick buck on a hot model. But if you're on their top 10 best repeat customers, come on guys give us a little here! It simply leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Costco who has one of the most profitable business models in the world, didn't go and charge me a "market adjustment" on my Play Station 3 when people were selling them at a huge premium on eBay! That's why I'm super loyal to them!

Thanks for all your comments and support.

Cheers,

Rob
So, they might offer you another car, but not at MSRP ? And you think this is a satisfactory answer ? If thats your conclusion, I'm confused why you even bothered starting this thread. They are still offering you a car at their "market" price, but you will continue to do business with them despite your loyalty over the years ?

Anyone else confused here ?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RufMD
So, they might offer you another car, but not at MSRP ? And you think this is a satisfactory answer ? If thats your conclusion, I'm confused why you even bothered starting this thread. They are still offering you a car at their "market" price, but you will continue to do business with them despite your loyalty over the years ?

I know I am. That dealer sounds hostile at this point.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 AM
chokeu2 is infamous around these parts

I certainly am as well. And as a person who is trying to make a final decision as to what to buy, I pay a lot of attention to these threads; simply because I was considering purchasing new from a dealer. But the pattern I'm seeing is showing me that not even Porsche dealers can be trusted, so it is better to purchase from someone like a fellow 6speeder.

It took a lot of work for me to get consensus from my wife to agree for me to purchase a P-car, I refuse to even have the possibility of a hassle from a dealer. As of this reading, there is an gorgeous Turbo here in Atlanta that I'm going to visit, as soon as I get off the road. I just do not think a dealer can really be trusted for the sake of providing customer service after the sale.

That said, I really do not see why in the world you would consider doing anymore business with these guys! They screwed you, yet they had the nerve to say that you drug their name through the mud, and then acted as if they would do you a favor by allowing you to bid on another car. Thats a slap in the face not a favor. These guys do not deserve your business, or the business of any new customers for that matter.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:40 AM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !

Jas, I am confused as hell with what has happened. No matter how badly I want the GT2 I would not buy a tire valve from them if they did that from me.
Oweya I dont see how you feel you resolved the issue. You didnt throw mud at them you stated what they did, which was unfair.
Plenty of other dealerships to buy from so you dont have to go to Pacific.

They are pissed because of what a client of theirs did with his GT3RS and made money, boohooo someone made more money than them on a car, cry me a river puhleeeze.
They want the GT2 on their floor so they can juice it as high as they can, good for them. That does not condone them taking the car you were waiting for in order to do it.
Oh and how nice of them to tell you that if they get another GT2 they would be "willing" to let you bid over MSRP on that one, show them your middle manicured finger and take your business elsewhere.

Bajo

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Jedidiah is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I certainly am as well. And as a person who is trying to make a final decision as to what to buy, I pay a lot of attention to these threads; simply because I was considering purchasing new from a dealer. But the pattern I'm seeing is showing me that not even Porsche dealers can be trusted, so it is better to purchase from someone like a fellow 6speeder.

It took a lot of work for me to get consensus from my wife to agree for me to purchase a P-car, I refuse to even have the possibility of a hassle from a dealer. As of this reading, there is an gorgeous Turbo here in Atlanta that I'm going to visit, as soon as I get off the road. I just do not think a dealer can really be trusted for the sake of providing customer service after the sale.

That said, I really do not see why in the world you would consider doing anymore business with these guys! They screwed you, yet they had the nerve to say that you drug their name through the mud, and then acted as if they would do you a favor by allowing you to bid on another car. Thats a slap in the face not a favor. These guys do not deserve your business, or the business of any new customers for that matter.
+1... this whole concept of a dealer pushing you into thinking your the bad guy because you wanted to make public that they screwed you, is just way over my head.

Frankly, I would be so insulted that I would make it my mission to make sure that everyone I knew that wanted to purchase a p-car should avoid them like the plague.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is infamous around these parts
So let me clarify.

I'm still not at all "satisfied" with their decision!

As I stated in my 3rd line they can charge a markup but I won't buy it! And I'm completely against the whole "market adjustment" principle.

But I do have an obligation to report that they did come back and offer me an opportunity to bid on the car, which is a new concession on their part albeit a lame one.

And what they call "dragging their name through the mud" is simply pointing out their business practice which anyone on this forum can call them up and verify.

So, "NO", I'm not satisfied but I have to be fair as I myself own a business and reporting the “facts” is important in these types of situations. If my last post came across that I was happy at the outcome then it's my mistake.

In the end I'm not going to be a one dealer guy anymore. They've lost that privilege but I'm also not so stuborn that I won't ever work with them either.

As the saying goes: "keep your friends closer and your neighborhood greedy Porsche dealer even closer"!

Last edited by Oweyea; 06-23-2007 at 12:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 confirmed but I get screwed out of greed!