Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Finally! Porsche to launch its own Dual Clutch Gearbox!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
Finally! Porsche to launch its own Dual Clutch Gearbox!!

Porsche is set to launch its own DSG-style dual-clutch gearbox that will be called ‘PDK’, short for Porsche Doppel Kupplungen or Porsche Double Clutches. Though Volkswagen was one of the first carmakers to offer dual-clutch systems on its cars, Porsche was actually one of the pioneers of the innovative transmission.

The sports carmaker used the design for some of its race cars during the 1980s, and now it’s set to be available in Porsche’s production cars, as reported by What Car magazine.

Gear changes will be activated via F1-style paddles behind the steering wheel that control two separate clutches, one for the odd numbered gears and the other for the even ones.

There’s no word on when it will first appear on the market or for which vehicles, but considering acceleration will most likely be quicker than regular manual boxes we suspect most of the lineup will get the double-clutch option. Earlier reports suggested that a seven-speed unit would debut in the new 911 Turbo, but the gearbox apparently wasn't ready in time.

one for the odd numbered gears and the other for the even ones. How does that work???

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I heard that it'll debut with the new face-lifted Carrera. The turbo would get it late '09 but no word on GT3/2.

Last edited by 03-turbo911; 06-27-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 AM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
HUH? this ought to be interesting.....

Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iceman996
one for the odd numbered gears and the other for the even ones. How does that work???
The TCU will have the next gear ready. DE-clutch one gear at the same time as it engages the next. Millisecond gear shifts for head snapping acceleration.

I already have a deposit down on the first model my dealer gets.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
B7R
B7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura about
No production dates are confirmed yet for cars equipped with PDK
However, I believe that PORSCHE is set to present this new innovation some time soon.
I also heard that it would only be offered on the normal 911 range, and not on the GT3/GT2 category.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
the technology is just amazing

go ahead to your local audi dealer, and drive an audi TT 3.2 DSG

then wind through the gears

THEN

go to your local BMW/ferrari /audi R8 dealer and drive an SMG/F1 car/R-Tronic

the SMG/f1/R-Tronic tranny has a BAD jerking through the gears , which is the clutch disengaging, then engaging....

the dsg does not do this...
it ALMOST feels like a CVT transmission, meaning one long gear...

and whats even more impressive is the downshifts....

the computer learns how YOU drive (each key has its own memory), and will learn , by your position on the gas pedal, if your NEXT move will be a down shift or an upshift, and so it tells the other clutch what gear to have engaged....

Last edited by DNugget991GT3; 06-27-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
the transmission is EXTREMELY expensive technology...
even though the dsg is available on the audi tt, it is an accepted statement, that the tranny itself in those cars is very fragile, in terms of handling high HP...

please keep in mind, the only other machine at the moment with DSG is the Bugatti Veyron

the Audi R8 doesn't even offer you DSG

Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
also, as far as i know through my leaked sources, the PDK tranny will be offered on face-lifted 911's, with direct injection...

i believe, that initially it will only be offered on NON all wheel drive models....

these are just rumors though

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think its going to be a very popular option. Not my cup of tea though - at least now - but when I get older maybe.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
I already have a deposit down on the first model my dealer gets.
Not hating on you but this struck me as so funny. Your deposit is basically on the transmission regardless of the model?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Cant wait to try it out on a Porsche

Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
DSG for sport cars sucks!!!!
DSG is for normal or daily cars....
My father is a daily driver a A3 v6 with DGS and is fast but you cant buy a Porsche with that gear box!
my bro has a M6 with SMG III and when you push the paddles...your wheels spins in 2nd and 3rd gear! and you can adjust the velocity of the gear change!

DSG is a dual clutch gear box....1st clutch for 1st 3rd and 5th gear...and the 2nd clutch for 2nd 4th en 6th gear!!! is not a sport gear box!!!

compare the DSG with SMG III or E-Gear (lambo) or F1 (ferrari)!!!

is for normal cars!!! you dont feel anything when you change a gear!!!
is very smooth and confortable....and when you have a true sport car you dont look confort...or a smooth gear box....

Old 06-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned
IslandMD615 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Paris_CarreraS
DSG for sport cars sucks!!!!
DSG is for normal or daily cars....
My father is a daily driver a A3 v6 with DGS and is fast but you cant buy a Porsche with that gear box!
my bro has a M6 with SMG III and when you push the paddles...your wheels spins in 2nd and 3rd gear! and you can adjust the velocity of the gear change!

DSG is a dual clutch gear box....1st clutch for 1st 3rd and 5th gear...and the 2nd clutch for 2nd 4th en 6th gear!!! is not a sport gear box!!!

compare the DSG with SMG III or E-Gear (lambo) or F1 (ferrari)!!!

is for normal cars!!! you dont feel anything when you change a gear!!!
is very smooth and confortable....and when you have a true sport car you dont look confort...or a smooth gear box....
dude chill out...

Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skojasevic
the transmission is EXTREMELY expensive technology...
even though the dsg is available on the audi tt, it is an accepted statement, that the tranny itself in those cars is very fragile, in terms of handling high HP...

please keep in mind, the only other machine at the moment with DSG is the Bugatti Veyron
The PDK and Veyron transmissions have zero relation to the DSG gearbox. Veyron uses DCT. Porsche attempted to use DSG but it wasn't good enough and more importantly, cannot handle the torque. The PDK is more likely a relative of the RSR efforts by Ricardo (who also built the Veyron DCT transmission).

You can actually buy a GT2 and GT3 sequential manual from Ricardo now:

http://www.ricardo.com/engineeringse...?page=products

Veyron tranny:

http://www.ricardo.com/media/pressre...e.aspx?page=38

Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned
IslandMD615 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jlingk
The PDK and Veyron transmissions have zero relation to the DSG gearbox. Veyron uses DCT. Porsche attempted to use DSG but it wasn't good enough and more importantly, cannot handle the torque. The PDK is more likely a relative of the RSR efforts by Ricardo (who also built the Veyron DCT transmission).

You can actually buy a GT2 and GT3 sequential manual from Ricardo now:

http://www.ricardo.com/engineeringse...?page=products

Veyron tranny:

http://www.ricardo.com/media/pressre...e.aspx?page=38
wow good info man. i was just thinking yesterday about how i could get a sequential gear box replaced for my tiptronic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally! Porsche to launch its own Dual Clutch Gearbox!!