Oops...spun my GT3 at Watkins Glen Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
glad to hear you and the car are ok

Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
My friend spun his 944 Turbo at the Glen last month right in front of me. It's one thing to see it on tv, but quite another in person.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 PM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
it's interesting to see the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 at Turn 4 and the back straight (fastest section at WGI), it really shows the acceleration difference between cars, which is practically nothing.

The 997 pulls away because the 996 decides to brake earlier.

Rmag, even with hot slicks, that pace would be difficult to sustain through the bus stop. It's great that you and the car came out ok.

2:14 is a decent time at WGI.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
it's interesting to see the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 at Turn 4 and the back straight (fastest section at WGI), it really shows the acceleration difference between cars, which is practically nothing.

Rmag, even with hot slicks, that pace would be difficult to sustain through the bus stop. It's great that you and the car came out ok.

What's up, Rad? It was great to see you last weekend.

Great clip, Ryan. Thank god nothing big happened. Always nice to see GT3 owners taking their cars to a track.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Glad to see you and your car are ok, be safe man

Old 07-04-2007, 12:25 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

I was thinking the same thing, Almost looked like the 996 may have been catching up a little bit, thought it was a turbo though because that sounds more realistic.

oh and if you ever get in that situation again, dont try and keep the car on track, just go ahead and shorcut through the grass,, if you didnt have too much steering input you wouldnt have spun, you came close to a really really bad situation that time. if there is grass and your dont have control cut your losses and use it. More people spin trying to keep the car on track instead of using the runoff areas, it's named runoff for a reason (as opposed to spinoff)

But glad you walked away with no damage.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-04-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:34 AM
JClark is infamous around these parts
Glad you're ok! Spinning is a great way to teach car control if you dont hit anything. What kind of mph are you carrying through the bus stop? It looks like you are really confident on the brakes (bp @ the 350 or so?) and carried maybe 2-3 too many mph on entry forcing you to lift for the left bend?

Thanks for posting. Good to see more of these cars getting a workout on the track.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Juha
Wow!

Glad you came out ok and your car was not damaged!

The track looks really cool/demanding but damn, it looks like there's no room for error there at all!
Absolutely no room for error. I got real lucky ... usually at the Glen if you spin you get a blue racing stripe from the armco .

Yea, the 996 GT3 definitely kept up with me on the straights (and turns) ... he was a better driver (his best laps where in the 2:12s while mine where in the 2:13s). He was following me for a few laps so I could get some outside video of my lines. I went in way too hot for cold (or warm tires). Speedo on the straight said around 155mph (actual from data logger around 146mph). I entered the bus stop at 101mph which was around 10-15mph faster than I would take it on heated tires....hence the results.

Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Ryan,
I am also glad to see you drive the snot out of your GT3
What other reason to own one

Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
man..... everytime I see a video like that it makes me realize how easy it can be to loose control. Totally scary.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
im taking my gt3 to glen in sept for 1st track experience with it.

i have more trouble with the bus stop than any other part of any northeast tracks. its very high speed entry makes judgement difficult for me. i usually loose time there but then make it up on the right hander that follows. that is easier to deal with b/c youre accelerating thru it vs braking which allows for more leeway.

i would love to get some skidpad time with gt3 prior just to see how it handles at limit. used to get feel for limit of boxster and 348 spider on deserted roads. cant test gt3 at all on street since limits are so high. will be going very slow at first.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fcar348
its very high speed entry makes judgement difficult for me.
yea, judgement is hard because the straight is coned off, but you tend to see all the track ahead of you. You really need to get some markers and stick to them.

i usually loose time there but then make it up on the right hander that follows. that is easier to deal with b/c youre accelerating thru it vs braking which allows for more leeway.
Wise choice.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
i would love to get some skidpad time with gt3 prior just to see how it handles at limit. used to get feel for limit of boxster and 348 spider on deserted roads. cant test gt3 at all on street since limits are so high. will be going very slow at first.
I'm going to do exactly that this Saturday, gonna go the skid pad and destroy some rubber!
Main purpose is to find the limit and learn to feel when im approaching it.
Secondary purpose is to learn to handle the car when the limit is reached -> Sideways action!!
And then the rest is just to have FUN!

I spun my car at the kink at Moroso two weeks ago and that inspired me to get out to the skid pad and learn!
The skidpad won't teach me how to avoid getting into a spin situation but hopefully I will learn more car control in oversteer situations.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
wow pretty epic, thanks for posting the vids glad everything turned out okay.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
adam89911 is infamous around these parts
Ryan Spinning off Track

First of All!!! I was driving the 04 GT3 that took the video of Ryan Spinning.

Ryan is generous with his accolades on my driving skills. Ryan and I had been playing all day Friday on the track. We were also playing with 2 other 996 GT3's. Ryan is a very accomplished driver and has only spun 2 times in his sweet 997 GT3, it just so happens that I was directly behind him both times(sorry Ryan).

I have video of about 3 or four laps behind him at Watkins Glen. His car sounds so good that you can hear it in my videos. There were several parts on the track that I did gain on him. I think that it is because I drive at speeds over 100 mph for a living. My seat time is in a much less prepared vehicle and I get to feel every little movement before it happens. I think this gives me a better ability to push my car and judge when it is getting to the limit.

I ran 1 lap at 2:12 because I saw a GT3 cup car ahead and it took me 2 laps to catch and pass him. Most of my laps were the same as Ryan.

I would love to say that my 996 GT3 is as fast or faster than his 997 GT3. BUT, as all of you can and will see (when I post my video) I only gain on him coming out of the corners or when I am drafting him.

There were 5 996 GT3's, 2 997 GT3's, 4 996 GT3 cup cars, 1 997 GT3 RS, and a 996 GT2 at the event with us.

It was a blast and it was great to enjoy the track with similarly skilled drivers. I am very happy that Ryan did not do any real damage to his car. Maybe he will sell it to me when he is done with it.

Later and happy driving,

Adam

Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
glen

I really enjoyed your video. Maybe I'll see you at the Glen in July if you go with Schattenbaum. Anyway, curious as to what tire you are running now. Also, have you changed the sway bar and alignment settings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oops...spun my GT3 at Watkins Glen Video