Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Oops...spun my GT3 at Watkins Glen Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Just a little too fast into the bus stop, that's all.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Glad you are okay mate.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
JClark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fcar348

i have more trouble with the bus stop than any other part of any northeast tracks. its very high speed entry makes judgement difficult for me. i usually loose time there but then make it up on the right hander that follows. that is easier to deal with b/c youre accelerating thru it vs braking which allows for more leeway.
The bus stop is the only corner on any racetrack I've ever been on where I glance at the speedo to help give reference of speed and braking. Other than the brake distance signs, there arent many visual keys to use. Depending on my tire use, I'm down to 90mph (street tires) or 98mph (DOTRs) when I point it towards the first apex. I cant tell you any other entry speeds of any other corners off the top of my head. My data says the fastest way through the corner is to be braking long after you turn-in.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sasportas
I really enjoyed your video. Maybe I'll see you at the Glen in July if you go with Schattenbaum. Anyway, curious as to what tire you are running now. Also, have you changed the sway bar and alignment settings.
Alignment is still set same as last time (1.7,2.2) and haven't changed the bars yet. Switched to protosport slotted rotors. Buying 18" CCW's this week. Probably going to try the new Toyo R888 (RA1 replacements) tires ...

Can't make Shat Glen event ... Got 3 SP main track events coming up in July

Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adam89911
First of All!!! I was driving the 04 GT3 that took the video of Ryan Spinning.

Ryan is generous with his accolades on my driving skills. Ryan and I had been playing all day Friday on the track. We were also playing with 2 other 996 GT3's. Ryan is a very accomplished driver and has only spun 2 times in his sweet 997 GT3, it just so happens that I was directly behind him both times(sorry Ryan).

I have video of about 3 or four laps behind him at Watkins Glen. His car sounds so good that you can hear it in my videos. There were several parts on the track that I did gain on him. I think that it is because I drive at speeds over 100 mph for a living. My seat time is in a much less prepared vehicle and I get to feel every little movement before it happens. I think this gives me a better ability to push my car and judge when it is getting to the limit.

I ran 1 lap at 2:12 because I saw a GT3 cup car ahead and it took me 2 laps to catch and pass him. Most of my laps were the same as Ryan.

I would love to say that my 996 GT3 is as fast or faster than his 997 GT3. BUT, as all of you can and will see (when I post my video) I only gain on him coming out of the corners or when I am drafting him.

There were 5 996 GT3's, 2 997 GT3's, 4 996 GT3 cup cars, 1 997 GT3 RS, and a 996 GT2 at the event with us.

It was a blast and it was great to enjoy the track with similarly skilled drivers. I am very happy that Ryan did not do any real damage to his car. Maybe he will sell it to me when he is done with it.

Later and happy driving,

Adam
Sounds like fun!! Hope to see you guys at the track sometime. Are you guys only do the PCA events? My first track day in a GT3 will be on 26th at summit main. Can't wait.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM
adam89911 is infamous around these parts
I will be at Summit Point Main on the 27th with the Northern VA Corvette Club. I figured I could show those Z06 guys the real benefit of driving a GT3.

I am not sure if Ryan is going but I will be bringing a couple of my friends.

Adam

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
Crazy spin...glad you made it out OK!

-Awais

Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by datax
Sounds like fun!! Hope to see you guys at the track sometime. Are you guys only do the PCA events? My first track day in a GT3 will be on 26th at summit main. Can't wait.
I'll be there July 14-15 With PCA Potomac, then July 23-24 with Ferrari Club, then probably PCA Metro NY July 30-31. Not sure if I can pull off the Corvette Club ...

What group is running on the 26th?

Last edited by rmag; 07-05-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by adam89911
I will be at Summit Point Main on the 27th with the Northern VA Corvette Club. I figured I could show those Z06 guys the real benefit of driving a GT3.

I am not sure if Ryan is going but I will be bringing a couple of my friends.

Adam
Kick some Chevy a$$

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Glad everything was alright. It's great to see Porsche owners out there doing what the car was made to do!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rmag
I'll be there July 14-15 With PCA Potomac, then July 23-24 with Ferrari Club, then probably PCA Metro NY July 30-31. Not sure if I can pull off the Corvette Club ...

What group is running on the 26th?
Ryan,

Wow, you have a lot of track days lined up. You must have hooked on driving. I'm jealous! Myself and couple of guys from M3forum rented out the summit main from 9am to 5pm on 26th so we don't have any group or club. Just bunch of friends. I'll let you guys know next time we rent the track again so that we could do some mini-GT3 cup...opps...mini-GT3 track day, I meant.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by datax
Ryan,

Wow, you have a lot of track days lined up. You must have hooked on driving. I'm jealous! Myself and couple of guys from M3forum rented out the summit main from 9am to 5pm on 26th so we don't have any group or club. Just bunch of friends. I'll let you guys know next time we rent the track again so that we could do some mini-GT3 cup...opps...mini-GT3 track day, I meant.
Sounds awesome! How many guys do you usually have when renting out the track? Need one more

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by rmag
Sounds awesome! How many guys do you usually have when renting out the track? Need one more
We have 10 guys. They won't let us use the track if we have more than 10. Also, maximum car allow on the track at any giving time is 5 because we don't have corner workers, fire truck and so on. But, you still end up with decent amout of seat time. It's great way to get to know the car I guess. Will definately let you guys know before next rental. We are planning to do it every other month. Some of the guys have open wheel cars like Formula Ford etc so they are more eager about this kind of things.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
adam89911 is infamous around these parts
Renting Summit Point

I was in contact with the person who sets up the rental days and she told me 5 cars at a time. I asked her if it was 5 cars on the track or on the complex at at a time. I told her that I wanted to bring 15 people and have three groups of 5 cars on the track at a time.

She has not returned my e-mail and I do not want to be rude. Ryan you are one of the guys I was going to invite. I also have a 997 Cup car and a 993 RSR coming so I am sure someone will be able to be get some good video of everyone.

Adam

Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
at my last glen track day a new M3 with a lot of work did the exact same thing as you but he totalled his car pretty bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oops...spun my GT3 at Watkins Glen Video