Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Videos from Watkins Glen Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
GT3 Nut is infamous around these parts
hahaha
that was me in the cup car. i was driving like a pansy!!! it was my 1st time ever at the glen and the 1st time in the cup car (that counts anyway - the very first time i drove it at vir the motor let go but thats another story) - with a freshly rebuilt (as in never run except on the dyno) motor and gearbox. also my aim dash kept freezing up and i had no guages. i actually was going to run in blue the first time out. for the last run on sunday i was running about 2:10. in red/black
anyway, excuses aside that video made me laugh when i saw it was my car you chased down. at least you can't say i didn't give you the passing signal right away - my arm was out the window before we finished that last turn. hahaha
i normally run in red. lets see what happens at vir or at least next time i am at the glen hahaha.
cool video and good driving.

Last edited by GT3 Nut; 07-12-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 AM
adam89911 is infamous around these parts
Ok, It appears that we have the driver of the green and silver cup car that it took me 2 laps to catch here as a member on 6speed.

It was clear to me and several other people on the forum that you were not driving your car to its capability. I am glad that you have explained the reasons why I was able to catch up to you. A 2:10 lap is a fast lap.

I was hoping to run a 2:10 but I am pretty sure that I could not turn a 2:10 until I get more seat time in my car. I am pleased with my 2:12.

No-one said anything about you not giving me the pass signal. I only said that some people do not watch their mirrors in white. The video clearly shows you giving me the pass. Perhaps you miss understood my post.

I will be at the VIR event in September with the Potomac region. I have a personal goal of a 2:09. I look forward to the chance to chase you again. I feel that when you have a visual goal in front of you it allows you to get into that zone and not be distracted by futile things.

I am sure that your car will be broken in and you will be more comfortable in the car. With those 2 things accomplished, I may reach my goal of 2:09 and still not catch you.

I will have fun trying!!!

Adam

Last edited by adam89911; 07-13-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I look forward to VIR as well. My goal there is 2:02 in the cup car. I use to run 2:05-2:07's in my 996 GT3 Street car (the 2:05's were running on slicks). I will be in red however, so I am not sure if we will meet up on the track.
2:09 is attainable in the 996 GT3 street car on MSPC. It is very fast for that car and tires though. If you can do that you should be running black at the minimum and possibly red depending on your amount of track time.
Look forward to meeting you.
By the way, the thing about the passing signal was meant to be funny. You can see my arm going out the window in your video - as you said- as we are going around turn 6. I didn't take your post about passing signals as directed at me.
Have fun and keep up the good driving!
See you in September.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I look forward to VIR as well. My goal there is 2:02 in the cup car. I use to run 2:05-2:07's in my 996 GT3 Street car (the 2:05's were running on slicks). I will be in red however, so I am not sure if we will meet up on the track.
2:09 is attainable in the 996 GT3 street car on MSPC. It is very fast for that car and tires though. If you can do that you should be running black at the minimum and possibly red depending on your amount of track time.
By the way, the thing about the passing signal was meant to be funny. You can see my arm going out the window in your video - as you said- as we are going around turn 6. I didn't take your post about passing signals as directed at me.
See you in September.
Matt- Didn't realize you were at the Glen ... see you at VIR

Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Yea, I did not think you did! Because it wasn't.

It was directed at Mr. 997 GT3 (Ryan) who likes to play spin the merry-go-round.

HA!!!!!!

Will meet up at VIR and make the introduction. Would love to turn 2:05 at VIR. But as you say my tires may not support it.

Later,
Adam

Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Yea, see you guys at VIR. Let me sign up right now.
BTW, thanks for the PM, adam. I'll contact you shortly.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adam89911
It was directed at Mr. 997 GT3 (Ryan) who likes to play spin the merry-go-round.

HA!!!!!!
Yea Yea Yea...keep talking

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
See you in September.
^^^ That is pretty damn fast.
I will be in red however, so I am not sure if we will meet up on the track.
BTW, couple of M3 guys are renting out the summit main and we gonna do it again sometime in October when weather gets cooler. Will invite you guys.

Last edited by datax; 10-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Count me in!

Just let me know the date. I will probably have to take off work. I am not a self made millionare that can conduct business operations from my blackberry while sitting at the track with my feet up.

BTW, Ryan where did you get your chair you were using at the Glen. I like the foot stool option?

I love this stuff, I should write a book.

Adam

Old 07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
rsrracer is infamous around these parts
Guys, for reference, a fast lap in a 996 Cup at the Glen is sub 1:59 and VIR full is sub 1:58.

Keep it up and you will be there.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by rsrracer
Guys, for reference, a fast lap in a 996 Cup at the Glen is sub 1:59 and VIR full is sub 1:58.

I knew that VIR fast for a 996 Cup was sub 2:00 for non-pros - but 1:58....
Okay I did have a goal of 2:02 for my first outing at VIR in my Cup. I expect to reach that, then I will incrementaly work at the 1:58. As far as the Glen, I have only been there once now, so I will try for maybe 2:04-2:05 next time and go from there.
So rsrracer, are those your times? I hear you are very fast from Tom B.
I don't know if you remember me, but you instructed me a while back at VIR in my yellow GT3 (you had a red 996 turbo at the time). Maybe you could actually do a DE once in a while and share some of your experience with me again.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Difference between GT3 street and Cup Car

Hey rsrracer,

Whay would you say the lap time difference is between a street GT3 and a Cup Car. Both driven by the same driver, in the same conditions.

I saw the comparision between the 997 GT3 RS and the 997 Cup car. They claimed a 5 second difference. I would assume that if you take a standard 997 GT3 the difference would be 10 seconds.

So from your figures on a fast lap of VIR(sub 1:58), my goal in a my street GT3 of 2:09 is attainable and about what the car should be running. I would be very happy with a 2:05 like Matt, but I am not running slicks.

I am with Matt on requesting your assistance at a DE to help us with fine tuning our driving.

Later,
Adam

Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Kirkorca, What run group were you in? Car looks very familiar...

I had my own issues that weekend and ended up driving the last two days in "limp" mode with a bad Mass air sensor. It got so bad that I was having trouble passing 944s and older 911s... Cars in the shop now under warranty and should be repaired and back home by Monday this coming week...

Mike #915

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 AM
rsrracer is infamous around these parts
Its been a while since I attended a DE but I would be willing to come again to instruce some GT3 drivers (cup or street)

Regarding the question of the respective lap times between cup and street, this is highly variable and depends upon the track and the tires on the street car.

Assuming both the cup and the street 996 GT3 had fresh slicks and asuming both had proper suspension setup (i.e. stock but well set) the cup car would be 4-5% faster. I.E. a 2:00.00 at VIR in a cup car would be a 2:05 or 2:06 in a street car.

I have not been in a 997 Gt3 (cup, Rs, or regular) but I think the performance differences between the RS and the standard GT3 are exaggerated. This takes nothing away from the RS but unless Porsche is dramatically understating the power of the RS the other differences would not amount to 5 seconds a lap. Maybe a 1% difference which would be 1.2 seconds at a Glen or a VIR.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Its been a while since I attended a DE but I would be willing to come again to instruce some GT3 drivers (cup or street)

Regarding the question of the respective lap times between cup and street, this is highly variable and depends upon the track and the tires on the street car.

Assuming both the cup and the street 996 GT3 had fresh slicks and asuming both had proper suspension setup (i.e. stock but well set) the cup car would be 4-5% faster. I.E. a 2:00.00 at VIR in a cup car would be a 2:05 or 2:06 in a street car.

I have not been in a 997 Gt3 (cup, Rs, or regular) but I think the performance differences between the RS and the standard GT3 are exaggerated. This takes nothing away from the RS but unless Porsche is dramatically understating the power of the RS the other differences would not amount to 5 seconds a lap. Maybe a 1% difference which would be 1.2 seconds at a Glen or a VIR.
Thank you rsrracer,

That would match up what Matt turned at VIR in his Street GT3 with slicks, 2:05. I will be running MPSC , so I will stick to my goal of 2:09. I will push the limits on the carts next to the track and probably crash one of those. Would rather crash a cart than my GT3.

It would be great to get some good instruction. If only for 1 run session. I got a run session with Mike Levitas from TPC and he shaved 4 seconds off my time at Mid Ohio.

It is nice to see that Porsche owners can exchange information and skill techniques to better everyone. It makes the whole event more fun and it helps the club keep the reputation it has earned.

I hope you can make it rsrracer!

Adam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Videos from Watkins Glen Event