Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Calling all tall drivers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
naparsei is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rockitman
That's a real bummer for tall drivers and makes the 997 varient a no go for reasonable comfortable seating. No fun driving a car with the console jamming into your right calf and knee almost hitting the steering wheel. I knew there was a reason I will keep my 996 GT3 for life.
rockitman,
Hopefully there is a solution by now. I noticed this last fall when I drove a 997 turbo, and have heard other tall drivers have had a similar problem. I'm "only" 6'4" and it's an irritation for me, but I'd still buy a GT3 or RS if I could find one.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
The more and more I read your response's the more obvious it becomes I need to upgrade to a GT3 w/ uber seats.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 PM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
My 997 GT3 arrived last week but I have not picked it up yet...dealer prep and all that stuff...and I did have a chance to sit in it and fire it up. Sounds good but damn that clutch is heavy!

More to point though it does have sport adaptive seats, which I was a bit worried about as there have been some posts that these seats place the driver higher and closer to the steering wheel. Having sat in mine I wonder if these drivers had the seat adjusted correctly, as when I put the seat at it's lowest setting I had a couple inches headroom. I then raised the front of the seat to give better thigh support and I still had about an inch to spare. Ironically putting the backrest too far back positioned me to the lowering part of the roofliner so I had less headroom; ie. I had more if I had the seat less reclined and sat more vertical.

I am 6'5" and am happy that I fit in the sport adaptives, but I will update my opinion if necessary once I have had a chance to pick up the car and drive it later this week .

Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
I would like to hear about this, QUESTION are the sport adaptive seats in the GT3 the same as the sport adaptive seats in the Carrera S w/out the alcantara inserts though.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by HardCore Nice
I would like to hear about this, QUESTION are the sport adaptive seats in the GT3 the same as the sport adaptive seats in the Carrera S w/out the alcantara inserts though.
That is a good question...I was wondering that myself.

I just put the stock basic seats back in my C4S tonight as I will be trading it in (and it looks like a friend of mine will be buying the car...hopefully), and even with the seat fully down and back, from what I can remember of the GT3, I did not seem to be as low or as far from the dash in the C4S as I was in the GT3.

Again it might have just been wishfull thinking, but I will be able to tell more this weekend.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I just picked up my GT3 this afternoon, and have been busy out killing as many bugs as I can.

There are certainly lots of differences between the GT3 and the C4S that I traded in, but that (and pics) I will have to elaborate upon in a later post.

Comparing the room in the C4S with stock seats and the GT3 seats with Brey-Krause adapters, and the 997 GT3 with the sport adaptives, I seem to have the most room in the new GT3. With the stock seats in my old C4S my head was touching the roofliner, and I could have used a little more legroom and space for my right knee. I gained about 1 inch of headroom with the GT3 seats and Brey-Krause adapters and stock sliders, and a couple inches of legroom. In the 997 GT3, I have about 1-2 inches of headroom depending on where I put the seat, 1-2 inches more of legroom and alot more space for my right knee.

Now I just have to get used to the added room, the GT3 clutch, and scraping the hell out of that front diffuser.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough
In the 997 GT3, I have about 1-2 inches of headroom depending on where I put the seat, 1-2 inches more of legroom and alot more space for my right knee.
That's great news for the long of leg among us.

Please tell about the relative ease of heel-toe shifting in each of the three cars you have discussed.

I'm 6'4" and have one heck of a time trying to heel-toe in any 996 I have driven/owned (damn center console!). I've not had any meaningful seat time in a 997 to try my luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by W8MM
That's great news for the long of leg among us.

Please tell about the relative ease of heel-toe shifting in each of the three cars you have discussed.

I'm 6'4" and have one heck of a time trying to heel-toe in any 996 I have driven/owned (damn center console!). I've not had any meaningful seat time in a 997 to try my luck.
I found it near impossible to heal-toe in the 996 C4S until I put the GT3 seats and Brey-Krause brackets in. With the stock seats that center console is a pain and the steering wheel was constantly in the way as well. Fortunately though there is a console delete option for the 996 (not for the 997).

I have just started heal-toeing a little bit in the GT3, but I am still "breaking it in", and am trying to get used to the clutch release/engagement point and the short-throw shifter. Luckily neither the console nor the steering wheel is getting in the way of my right knee.

I have seem some heal-toe by really jerking their right knee in or out depending if they are just braking or heal-toeing...I do not think there is enough room for us tall guys to do that. But if you heal-toe by just rolling your foot it should be fine.

I personally just need a lot more practice.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
Many thanks for the info!