Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Calling all tall drivers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
Calling all tall drivers...

Is there anyone here that owns a 997 GT3 or GT3RS, have a GT3 racing seat, over 6'5", and have a helmet? If so do you fit comfortably in a normal driving position or is your seat reclined, if it reclines? FUTURE down the road purchase to aid in the longetivity of my neck and track events without reclining seat. Anything or any knowledge would be awesome. BASICALLY what Im asking is does a GT3 seat sit lower than a standard Adaptive, or a standard seat?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
I don't own one, but I knwow that the racing seat is quite a bit lower, so you'll prolly fit...i dont kno if reclineable...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
I'm 6'7" and in my 996 GT3 with recaro GT3 seats, I needed to use the brey-krause seat lowering bracket in order for my head to clear the roof liner wearing a helmet. I also removed the lower center console so that my right knee is farther away from the steering wheel (I can splay my legs farther apart w/o the console being there.)

Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
any way to lower the standard US GT3 seats and still retain the fore/aft adjustment?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PJS
any way to lower the standard US GT3 seats and still retain the fore/aft adjustment?
What do you mean by "standard US GT3 seat"?

Do you mean the "GT3 seat" which is the fixed back Recaro racing shell or do you mean the "standard" stock seat which is available in the US GT3, as opposed to the "sport adaptives", etc?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I mean the fixed back Recaro racing seat that come's in the 997 GT3's.

Last edited by HardCore Nice; 07-20-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
In theory the Recaro GT3 seats are for ROW only...for some reason we cannot order them on our cars here except as an aftermarket option. Semantics I know but I just wanted to know what seats you were talking about.

There are currently a couple of styles of GT3 seats and soon to be a third, if you want to call what will be available in the GT2 and other 997's next year a "GT3 seat"...technically a reclinable "race style" seat.

The old (996) style GT3 seat can be mounted on various adapters from Brey-Krause and Recaro themselves. I think there are even a couple aftermarket shops who can make adapters for you.

The Brey-Krause adapters move the seat down and inch or so and back a couple inches, and allow for some change in angle (front seat height). They can be mounted to the stock sliders, or they can be mounted to the floor using even more adapters from Brey-Krause.

I assume that the new (997 or GT) GT3 seat can use the same adapters.

The stock brackets and sliders on the Recaro GT3 seats have the seat very forward and very upright...closer to the dash and roof than even the stock non-GT3 seats. Really uncomfortable unless you are a midget...no offense to the vertically challenged!

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 07-20-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
odd to quote myself I know... my apologies... I meant the standard US seat in the 996 GT3... not the ROW Recaro seat...

sorry about the mix up

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Not to sound a little slow in the membrain but ROW Recaro's/"GT3 seats" are essentialy the one's sold off of Suncoast or GMB or Vivid Racing or Pelican Parts correct. Then the Brey Kraus brackets in conjunction with those or whatever combination would offer us vertically enclined driver's a bit more helmet room correct.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
PJS
Originally Posted by HardCore Nice
Not to sound a little slow in the membrain but ROW Recaro's/"GT3 seats" are essentialy the one's sold off of Suncoast or GMB or Vivid Racing or Pelican Parts correct. Then the Brey Kraus brackets in conjunction with those or whatever combination would offer us vertically enclined driver's a bit more helmet room correct.
I believe you are correct...
The "racing style" seats in combination with the BK lowering brackets will give you a little more room...

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
6'5 and i fit fine in mine with a helmet due to the fact the seat is lower than the 996gt3

Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HardCore Nice
I mean the fixed back Recaro racing seat that come's in the 997 GT3's.
all USA mkt GT3 has the normal seat that has reclining backs.

the racing shell seats you refer to, are euro seats, you have to buy them aftermarket. they DO NOT come with the car.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 PM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
Perhaps being short isn't so bad

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
naparsei is infamous around these parts
AFAIK, you can't delete the console in the 997 as you could in the 996; there's a lot more HVAC stuff back there now. This was the case when the 997 first call out, perhaps that has changed. If you are 6'7" you will find your right knee/shin hits the console, and depending on where you are long (porportionally), you may have issues with either the wheel/your leg, or the shifter/your knee. Of course, I'm sure you know the issues Try the F430, there's lots of room with the stock seats, and a ton with the racing seats.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by naparsei
AFAIK, you can't delete the console in the 997 as you could in the 996; there's a lot more HVAC stuff back there now.
That's a real bummer for tall drivers and makes the 997 varient a no go for reasonable comfortable seating. No fun driving a car with the console jamming into your right calf and knee almost hitting the steering wheel. I knew there was a reason I will keep my 996 GT3 for life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Calling all tall drivers...