Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Brake fluid longevity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Brake fluid longevity

I have 8K miles on my GT2. Does anyone have any thoughts about the OEM brake fluid. Alternatives? How often does it need to be changed? I plan on tracking the car about six times a year.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
How often does it need to be changed?
I think at a minimum Porsche recommends changing the fluid on the 15,000 mile service or every two years.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:25 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
It varies depending on how you use the car (harder use usually requires more flushes). There are some great aftermarket fluids out there such as ATE SuperBlue, ATE Type 200, Motul 600, or Castrol SRF. The Castrol SRF is the best fluid available but is expensive and cannot be mixed with anyother normal DOT4 type fluid or it will harden into a gel. I suggest Motul 600 or ATe SuperBlue to all of my clients. They can be mixed with normal fluids in emergencies and provide enough temp resistance for most "sane" drivers.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Larry Herman is infamous around these parts
If you're tracking the car, change your fluid every 3 months. Brake fluid can absorb enough moisture in that time frame to possibily lower the boiling point significantly. For the street, every 2 years is usually sufficient.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
How difficult is it to change the brake fluid?

Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 AM
With a commercial bleeder, quite easy. Without one, a pain & you're better off with 2 people to do it. One to operate the brake pedal, and one to open & close the brake bleeder nipples. You should empty the master cylinder reservoir first so that you start with clean fluid. I built a vaccum bleeder years ago, and it takes longer to jack up the car & remove the wheels than it does to change the fluid. It attaches to the bleeder screw & just sucks the fluid through.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:57 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Larry,

what does "in the paint shop" mean?

Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Factory Paint Shop - stick a fork in it.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by watt
what does "in the paint shop" mean?
It means that the body is built, and it is being painted. After that, they assemble it, drive the ***** off of it for 20 miles & put it on the boat. Hopefully it will be here by early June.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:36 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
ah thank you. i like carrara white

noel,

what does "stick a fork in it?" mean. you guys are giving me a real education today!

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
It's an American term, "stick a fork in it, it's done"... ergo Porsche have done cooking the paint on Larry's car.