Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Toyo R888 Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
New Toyo R888 Feedback

First off, I ran 245/40/18 and 305/35/18. So the sidewall was a bit larger than stock, but the rolling diameter was about the same. I mounted them on CCW wheels. Don't remember the exact weights. but the fronts with the R888s mounted where about 2-3lb heavier, while the rears were 2-3lb lighter than stock 19"s. Unfortunately my first runs with the tire i also changed sway bar setting and switched to pagid black pads, so I had a few variables going.The only other tires I can compare it to are the N-spec MPSCs which came with my Gt3, and The "regular" MPSCs I used to run on my turbo.

I found turn in wasn't as responsive as MPSC. The response wasn't as immediate (could be due to larger sidewall). I did like that they didn't need nearly as much time to warm up as the MPSCs. After a lap I was comfortable pushing the car hard. They were also more predictable than the N-spec MPSC. They feedback was better..and slip angle greater. I could slide the rear end without worrying about a sudden break away...so a bit more progressive. I did notice that at high speed threshold breaking...140+ -> 40 I had EXTREME tailwag. Not sure if this was the tires or my pad/setup change. But it was downright un nerving! Had the tail end almost swing all the way around on me. I'm going to put the Tarett Toe Links and check/change toe to see if this fixes the problem ... so not sure if was the tires. Other than that i was happy with the tires. While probably not as fast as the normal MPSC, I liked them more than the n-specs. Probably next set of tires will be "normal" 18" MPSC to compare. Will update more after setup changes. Also had a chance to drive them through 2 rain storms. Car handled fine...no worse than the n-spec MPSC. Didn't hydroplane at all...although not a lot of standing water.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info. Did the stock MPSC do the tail wag when you did 100+ to 40 MPH? Also - do you have PCCB's? If that is you in the avator then obviously not.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Maybe the swaybar was set too stiff and threw off the balance causing the tail waging??

Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ritesh
Thanks for the info. Did the stock MPSC do the tail wag when you did 100+ to 40 MPH? Also - do you have PCCB's? If that is you in the avator then obviously not.
No PCCBs. Had "normal" tail wag with the MPSCs. I doubt the braking issue was a result of the tires and more the setup changes I did, but since I did them all at once, need to isolate it.

Originally Posted by Griza
Maybe the swaybar was set too stiff and threw off the balance causing the tail waging??
One of the changes I actually made was to go from full stiff in the back, to middle setting, and middle to one from full stiff on the front.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
I like the Toyo R888s much (with the 996TT), really like that you don't have to warm them up like Pilot Cups. Also an "easier" tire to drive fast (more predictable)..but yeah the Pilot Cups have a tiny bit more grip.

The noise they make means that maybe they are not suitable for everyday cruising though

But love the price, here I can get them 1070 euros a set when a Pilot Cup deal from the cheapest place is like 1400 euros.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Tail swagging could be due to unshaved tires. With the RA1's, most would shave the tire to 6/32 or less for track work and this may hold true for the R888's also.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bli8
Tail swagging could be due to unshaved tires. With the RA1's, most would shave the tire to 6/32 or less for track work and this may hold true for the R888's also.
RA1: unshaved = 8/32
RA1: enduro shave = 5/32
RA1: race shave = 3/32

i think R888 full tread = 6/32, no ?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Good review, i've heard some complaints from our tech department that the tire is simply to loud to be a DD tire, esp compared to the RA1. What are your thoughts?

Did they same to get quicker as the day went on?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
Good review, i've heard some complaints from our tech department that the tire is simply to loud to be a DD tire, esp compared to the RA1. What are your thoughts?

Did they same to get quicker as the day went on?
Yes, very loud on the street, but the engine drowns them out a bit

Just got back from the track again with the tires. All I can say is they performed awesome. I think I prefer them more than the cups! Dropped lap times by over 2 seconds compared to "n-specs". They are a bit squirrelly as mentioned before, but that was only at full tread. After wearing them down a bit, performed great. I'd recommend shaving them. I know 2 other people who ran them shaved and they said they performed probably within 1/2-1 second from the Hoosiers. Unfortunaly after seeing them shave, I won't do it. They had the luxury of trailering to events, while I drive to them. Don't think they'd last too long. Small sacrifices

Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
doc2s is infamous around these parts
rmag,

who sells them sahved in 18" fitment? thanks.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by doc2s
rmag,

Actually depends on where you are located. On the west coast, you can get them through Les Schwab Tires, in addition to various race shops.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by doc2s
rmag,

Paul at Radial Tire in Silver Spring MD

Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 AM
doc2s is infamous around these parts
thank you.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
The Speed World Challenge teams have been invited to test these tires with TOYO at Miller Motorsports Park in October, as this will be the spec tire for the '08 season. While I will be there testing with a Viper Comp Coupe, I am sure that GMG (board sponsor) will be there with their 997 Cup? James and gang will surely put the new rubber through the tests and hopefully provide a full report comparing it to the outgoing RA-1.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What's the difference in MPSC and N-spec MPSC??? And how can you tell which ones you have???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Toyo R888 Feedback