Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

how long do they hold their value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Grant is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by smdteefpuler
I know a fleet manager in california and he said that over the next few years of the 997 body style, the TT and GT3 production numbers will decrease and continue to stay low. He said Porsche only makes about 60,000 cars total every year, and they want to increase the production of Cayennes, Caymans, and Boxsters. Thus less TT and GT3.
Not sure about that, since Cayennes, Caymans, and Boxsters aren't made at the same factory as any of the 997 variants (Cayman and Boxster made in Finland and Cayenne made in Eastern Germany)- I would think production would be independent from each other. They may decide to build more 997/997S than GT3/TT, but not even sure why that would be the case...

Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
The regular 997 certainly don't hold the value very good either. But the GT3/RS will. At least better than 996GT3. The 997TT IMO won't be as bad as 996TT, but the value will still go down pretty quick. I even see a brand new black 997TT for $4000 off MSRP for sale in my local dealer now. If Porsche still keep making more than 1500 of it per year, the resale value will be going down very quick for sure, maybe not as bad as 996TT, but still big hit.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned
smdteefpuler is infamous around these parts
yeah it didnt make sense to me at first, but the guy who told me is a fleet manager, so he must know what hes saying

Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Until the next one comes out.
this answer makes the most sense to me. I guess we are good to 2010!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 AM
frayed is infamous around these parts
Use history as your guide.

The conservative bet, based on the least speculation, is that Porsche will continue doing what it has done in the past. I expect my GT3 to depreciate just like the one I had before it, but perhaps with a bit of a break b/c the 997 looks and performs so much better (in the real world) than the 996 GT3, and doesn't suffer from the 996 stigma as mentioned above.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frayed
Use history as your guide.

I expect my GT3 to depreciate just like the one I had before it.
Frayed, you are in the unique position of having owned both and experiencing the switch over. Could you share with us the depreciation trend that you noticed with your 996?

Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
if you dont drive it, you wont lose much. 996gt3 with less than 1000 miles are going strong at high 80's.

if you drove and enjoyed them, you lose $$$, but you did enjoy them. my had 50k miles, dump'd it for $50k.

you can get in line for my RS, which will have 30k miles in another 6 months.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by DrPeter
Frayed, you are in the unique position of having owned both and experiencing the switch over. Could you share with us the depreciation trend that you noticed with your 996?
Sorry, not a lot of info from here. Don't remember how much depreciation I endured, other than it was around 15k over the course of a year. I bought, drove, and sold my 996 during the steep part of the depreciation curve.

If you can't endure the initially steep part of the curve, then sell now while you can at around MSRP. Otherwise drive the hell out of it; life's short and there are constant reminders around all of us how fragile it is.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
for my various 6gt3, on avg, 20-25k per year of hit for the first year.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Ill take your car

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by frayed
If you can't endure the initially steep part of the curve, then sell now while you can at around MSRP. Otherwise drive the hell out of it; life's short and there are constant reminders around all of us how fragile it is.
Thank you for your insights. In reviewing the posts, this thread is kinda coming off as I am more concerned more about money than my GT3. That is not the case at all.

As with many others on this board, when my GT3 came in and I sat in it and drove it, I was ecstatic. It is rare to have that cool of feeling in adult life. Of course in my mind I plan on keeping it forever (just like I thought of all my previous porches.) Alas, forever seems to not last as long as it used to. We cant all be Jerry Seinfeld.

So given that we will sell our cars someday which we will eventually, I am left to wonder what could be the maximized driving/resale curve? If I can save $5000 by selling it 6 months earlier than I normally would have then we would all like to know that.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for your insights. In reviewing the posts, this thread is kinda coming off as I am more concerned more about money than my GT3. That is not the case at all.

As with many others on this board, when my GT3 came in and I sat in it and drove it, I was ecstatic. It is rare to have that cool of feeling in adult life. Of course in my mind I plan on keeping it forever (just like I thought of all my previous porches.) Alas, forever seems to not last as long as it used to. We cant all be Jerry Seinfeld.

So given that we will sell our cars someday which we will eventually, I am left to wonder what could be the maximized driving/resale curve? If I can save $5000 by selling it 6 months earlier than I normally would have then we would all like to know that.
Im looking at one from the dealer white and its going for 5k over MSRP is a 2007 and has 900 miles on it. Dont know if this helps you.

I think you can surely get MSRP and maybe a few grand more depending on the miles at the moment.

What color is it? If you plan to put crazy miles I would get rid of it before you hit 10k miles or you will take a hit that I think is guranteed.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Wouldn't we all.

In another venue, it's called market timing, and it doesn't work. If you were asking for a comparison between one year's 996GT3 and another's, history might be relevant. IMO, between a 996GT3 and a 997GT3, totally unknown.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah, market timing. Tough if not impossible to predict other than in broad terms. Obviously resale is a supply/demand issue. Right now demand outstrips supply, evidenced by high resale values and continued wait list for the few 2008s coming into the US.

I posted on rennlist that I was contemplating selling my car (thinking of a second home, the $$ would be quite useful to make that happen). I got 5 pm's from folks quite interested, in a 24 hr period (but it helps to have picked the best color/option combo you could possibly hope for ).

If you sell now you can get most your money out of it.

If you sell after release of the initial info on the new GT3, you'll see notable depreciation, likely following that of the 996 GT3. In between today and that time? Not sure.

Then there are long term values. I think the prior car will remain the red headed step child of the 911 lineage and will be a great value. . . and the 997 variant has a better chance of retaining a strong % of its msrp over the long haul.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think the 997 will lose 'as' much as the 996. "Why old fart?" you ask!
Because as much as I loved the performance of the 996 (it will be one of the most desired 996s) I always had problems with the looks of the front end. I had a 993 and I worship at the throne of the traditional 911 looks. The 997 captures that for me and I dont plan on selling for a long time. I kinda had the sale of the 996 in the back of my mind. I like the looks ALOT but didnt just get chills with it. This one I do. I loved the performance of the 996 GT3 and the song was intoxicating-but both the looks AND the performance of this one capture my driving soul. By the way I paid 90K for mine and sold for 85 but it was a Manthey 410 conversion- I dont notice the 997 having much more motor than the 996 Manthey but the handling is more confidence inspiring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how long do they hold their value?