Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3 TPMS Is Wacked!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Pista seems like a good choice w/ data acquisition and all. But they listed here for only $1799 plug and play.

http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
yeah, that's right. I think mine was 3k or less fully installed with a few extra pots.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
rr4
rr4 is infamous around these parts
There is a TSB for the instrument cluster coming in a few weeks.
A few cars - mine included - have poorly calibrated gas guages, it goes from full to half tank in like 100km, and then it takes forever to go from half tank to 1/4. There is a fix that requires reflashing of the software that handles the instrument cluster, this may also be affecting the TPMS as well.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
So there'll be recall fix on the instrument clusters?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
This is how all of them are, when setting tire pressures you do not want to do it by the "numbers" screen, what you want to do is go into TPC system and info tyres, and set them by the +/- screen. Ideally you want them all to +0 as it doesnt want you to add or remove any air. most are probably about -3 or -4 when set with your own gauge, which translates to 3 to 4 lbs low. A good diea is to set them to +1, as that gives you a little room to flucuate.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschespeeddem
This is how all of them are, when setting tire pressures you do not want to do it by the "numbers" screen, what you want to do is go into TPC system and info tyres, and set them by the +/- screen. Ideally you want them all to +0 as it doesnt want you to add or remove any air. most are probably about -3 or -4 when set with your own gauge, which translates to 3 to 4 lbs low. A good diea is to set them to +1, as that gives you a little room to flucuate.
I'll try that thanks, it's aggravating seeing the warning all the time.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned
smdteefpuler is infamous around these parts
you mean set the TPC display to +1 for all four tires? How do I do this?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smdteefpuler
you mean set the TPC display to +1 for all four tires? How do I do this?
Using the lower left steering wheel stalk, go into the TPC system, then go into Info Tyres, i believe. That will put you at the +/- screen. (-) means add air, (+) means release air, until you are at about +1 at all 4 wheels.

Bruce- Did this work for you?

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 08-03-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !

That screen just shows you what the psi difference is between the actual pressures at that moment and the set pressures.

You can not make any adjustments as to what you want the range to be before it gives you a warnimg.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned
smdteefpuler is infamous around these parts
same here, the screen just displays info, doesnt actually allow me to adjust anything.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by smdteefpuler
same here, the screen just displays info, doesnt actually allow me to adjust anything.
From what I understand, that screen tells you if you are too high or too low based on what the system wants to see. If it wants to see, say, 37, tire is at 34, it will, in theory show a -3. The only adjusting is done via tire pressures to alter the display to show +0 to +1. It doesnt care what anyone's tire pressure gauge says, the warning will be on if it doesnt see what it wants to, and unfortunately that's about all we have to go on, and if you set them up to where the screen that displays the pressures shows what the door sticker says, the warning will still more than liely turn at some point. Honestly, I'm not quite sure why they still have a sticker on the door with the specs, when the car knows its own specs.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Guys by adjusting, porschespeedem meant adjusting the actual air pressures to the tires until the display show-1,0, or+1. You can't adjust anything w/ the toggles.

I added air until all for tires displayed +1. Haven't have a warning light since.

Last edited by vincentdds; 08-06-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
From what I understand, that screen tells you if you are too high or too low based on what the system wants to see. If it wants to see, say, 37, tire is at 34, it will, in theory show a -3. The only adjusting is done via tire pressures to alter the display to show +0 to +1. It doesnt care what anyone's tire pressure gauge says, the warning will be on if it doesnt see what it wants to, and unfortunately that's about all we have to go on, and if you set them up to where the screen that displays the pressures shows what the door sticker says, the warning will still more than liely turn at some point. Honestly, I'm not quite sure why they still have a sticker on the door with the specs, when the car knows its own specs.
That's what I thought he might have meant after i posted.

The only problem with that solution is the tires will be running up to 6 lbs. over or under what my accurate tire guage tells me is the correct pressure.
If i followed this solution I would be running 35 psi front left, 32 psi front right, 34 psi rears, all cold pressures.
That's too much of a variation and too far from the stated cold pressures in the manual.

Is this problem limited to the GT3 or generally for all 997's?

I would think a software update would fix this.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce
That's what I thought he might have meant after i posted.

The only problem with that solution is the tires will be running up to 6 lbs. over or under what my accurate tire guage tells me is the correct pressure.
If i followed this solution I would be running 35 psi front left, 32 psi front right, 34 psi rears, all cold pressures.
That's too much of a variation and too far from the stated cold pressures in the manual.

Is this problem limited to the GT3 or generally for all 997's?

I would think a software update would fix this.
I totally understand where you're coming from, the car has a mind of its own. And it is not just GT3 limited, all 997s have this setup, also 987s. It is a very inconsistent method of setting it, and it does leave "actual" pressure via a real pressure gauge all over the board.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I totally understand where you're coming from, the car has a mind of its own. And it is not just GT3 limited, all 997s have this setup, also 987s. It is a very inconsistent method of setting it, and it does leave "actual" pressure via a real pressure gauge all over the board.
What's the point of the system allowing you to "set" the pressure once you have adjusted all tires manually if it wants it's own specific pressures.

The manual's description of the TPMS is also severely lacking and says that the cars computer system can not be fully described in the manual.
Where else should it be fully described.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT3 TPMS Is Wacked!