Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Radiator Tragedy in the GT3!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
eriru is infamous around these parts
about how much to replace radiator, here in mexico theres not much to get a second quote?

thks

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
sorry for your loss. thats why i made my own grille screens. take a look at this thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-screen.html

mine are made of stainless steel and came powder coated black. best part, the screens cost about $40 from OSH. but.. its a bit of work

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 10-07-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Great job, Daytona.

Does ANYBODY have a DIY for 996TT?????

Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
Geeez..same thing happened to mine about 2 wks. ago...in my '08 Boxster S

the coolant light came on briefly..... however the temp. gauge never moved from normal?? Coolant was a bit low... but engine temp. never changed...

then the a/c started blowing warm air....

Porsche said that a rock entered the front left vent and damaged the condenser and radiator. ... and both needed to be replace... labor and parts almost 2k!

I said to hold off until I came down to see it because I couldn't believe or understand how both could have been damaged by a rock..(figured it would take a bullet to go thru both!)

anyways ....I went down there and they hadn't taken anything apart yet..only they 'figured" it would be both because of the symptoms. I said again... that the engine temp. never moved about normal... so they said probably the condensor is the only problem then... and..then we both saw a small round rock sitting there inside the front vent....

they also gave me a great discount on the condenser/labor... so the whole thing was about $550... not great, but better than it could have been.

all in all,,, it was a good thing i went to look at it... not that they would have sold me a radiator also, but you never know...

good luck with yours.....

Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
sorry for you loss. thats why i made my own grille screens. take a look at this thread

mine are made of stainless steel and came powder coated black. best part, the screens cost about $40 from OSH. but.. its a bit of work

I actually used this same grill from OSh. Its was hard to work with because its a much thicker material which made it harder to form. But was well worth it. End result works great. It actually looks very close to the grille screen used on the airfilter scoops.. thumbs up to daytonaviolet for finding this...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I saw a GT3 at LimeRock (ALMS)last year get a radiator punctured and finished the last 30 laps on the race with no water fluids. There still is a little bit of air cooling going on and with 9 qts of oil that helps.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Mariof430 is infamous around these parts
I looked into the actual Porsche grills and the Car Graphic Grills, I think the Car Graphic Grills are better and they are a little cheaper!!! Either way get something and protect those radiators!!!! I'm really questioning why, we are having to do this and Porsche,as good as they are did not think of this!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
those screens look very cool! NICE JOB!!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Nice Mod !
sorry for you loss. thats why i made my own grille screens. take a look at this thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmag
Another option is make your own. I did that for a cost of about $20 and few hours for me to fab/install it. Since they are going to take a pounding anyhow, easy and cheap to replace. here's a pic:
Where did you get your materials, and how did you attach the screens?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
A local hardware store, OSH....

Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 AM
im not sure what rmag used, but i used a 2 part epoxy. i was very generous with the epoxy so if a big rock hits the screens, hopefully it will just deform and take most of the impact rather then falling off. its also someone sandwich in place and its made of stainless steal.. hopefully it will take a good rock beating.

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 10-08-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
im not sure what rmag used, but i used a 2 part epoxy. i was very generous with the epoxy so if a big rock hits the screens, hopefully it will just deform and take most of the impart rather then falling off. its also someone sandwich in place and its made of stainless steal.. hopefully it will take a good rock beating.

Thanks, this looks like a good winter project for me. Did the screen come Black or did you paint it?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks, this looks like a good winter project for me. Did the screen come Black or did you paint it?
it came black powder coated. actually, there are 4 color choices. white, black, silver and bare metal.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Grill Screen options

I was doing a Grill screen install DIY on my 3 and was having a problem finding the right screen. found this little gem of an outfit that had all the goodies to DIY screen, trim fasteners you name it. FYI.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Frank/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator Tragedy in the GT3!!!