Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Radiator Tragedy in the GT3!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Gofishracing is infamous around these parts
Are there any screens that attach from front to avoid bumper removal and to make it easier to clean behind screen? That would be perfect.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I think you would have to fabricate your own. These look like they may attach to from the front, not sure, they have frames around them. the site I posed below, you can by trim to frame the screen and clips to attach it if you want to go that route. FYI i have no affiliation just found the parts helpful.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Gofishracing is infamous around these parts
those look perfect !- I can't find them yet- I have been trying to fabricate with mesh and edging I use for front spoiler. Not satisfactory yet.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 02-15-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
mounting the screens

some glue, some screw

1. Any concensus as to which method is better? Seems the screws would facilitate repairs in the event of a large stone striking the screen.

2. If you do screw the screen on, do you just use a self tapping sheet metal screw? Do you just screw in to the fiberglass or do you use speed nuts on the backside?

3. If you do use screws, are the easily visible from the outside? Should you try to use black screws?

4. If you use screws, what size?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I am going to post my DIY in another week or two. I had orders some powder coated screen, but when it came I think its to course so i just ordered some stainless steel screen, I will then pull the nose off and see what is what.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
I am going to post my DIY in another week or two. I had orders some powder coated screen, but when it came I think its to course so i just ordered some stainless steel screen, I will then pull the nose off and see what is what.
toad, That would be wonderful. I really look forward to it.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
mmaigret is infamous around these parts
Looking forward to the DIY write-up toad-- thanks for sharing.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
You'll probably laugh at me for saying this, but you would be surprised how much some types of mesh can cut your air flow! I would get something specifically designed for this sort of application.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by mmaigret
Looking forward to the DIY write-up toad-- thanks for sharing.
Its going to be few weeks but I will post with pics. Its cold as S*%T out right now. I ran all last year with two types of screen just laying in the air vents. never did have a heating problem but planed on doing this a bit more professional So give me a bit more time to get it done. I just got the stainless steel screen I ordered. check it out. I used the middle one but you can pick
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...GroupID=SCREEN

Last edited by toadinlaw; 02-19-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Its going to be few weeks but I will post with pics. Its cold as S*%T out right now. I ran all last year with two types of screen just laying in the air vents. never did have a heating problem but planed on doing this a bit more professional So give me a bit more time to get it done. I just got the stainless steel screen I ordered. check it out. I used the middle one but you can pick
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...GroupID=SCREEN
Toad, You still working on your screens? Really look forward to seeing your pics.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Toad, You still working on your screens? Really look forward to seeing your pics.
Yes, Since my last post, I took one weekend to install my traqmate, last weekend I went to Hilton Head, it was 75 degrees so no work then. I come back to Ohio and its 17 degrees. I am going to get started this week I have two types of screen some large some small I will start a new thread with some picks as I go starting with the screen product and anything I come across on the bumper removal. Planning on using the DIY on bumper removal already posted hear. BTW once I get the screens installed I just ordered Ajustable Toe Links and locking plates from from Tarett Engineering, and I will do a DIY on that also.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes, Since my last post, I took one weekend to install my traqmate, last weekend I went to Hilton Head, it was 75 degrees so no work then. I come back to Ohio and its 17 degrees. I am going to get started this week I have two types of screen some large some small I will start a new thread with some picks as I go starting with the screen product and anything I come across on the bumper removal. Planning on using the DIY on bumper removal already posted hear. BTW once I get the screens installed I just ordered Ajustable Toe Links and locking plates from from Tarett Engineering, and I will do a DIY on that also.
Sounds great. Look forward to it.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Md11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really nice
I just finished doing my screens (the same material used as recommended from Daytonaviolet - thanks Daytonaviolet they look really good and fit the overall looks of the car very very well).
Be warned it is very time consuming to cut the screens properly to fit the narrow rim on the outside air inlets (the center is easy), make them look even from the left side to the right side and not interfere with the air duct mounted on the radiators. One of the lessons learned when glueing them onto the rim is to sand the rim abundantly not only on the top lip but also around the lip on the vertical part of the inlet (horizontal section when mounted on the car), there will be a little overrun of the epoxy and if not sanded well, the overrun will not stick. I used 1 minute epoxy to glue them on and on the one side where I forgot to sand the air inlet the epoxy does not stick well.
I have made some extra screens to fit the GT3 pumper inlets if anyone is interested, let me know - by far the most time consuming part of it.
On one of the threads there was a guide for removing the pumper. In addition to the guide, remove the headlights and the fog lights, inside the left headlight housing is the quick disconnect for the headlight washer system - a blue clip. On the side turn signal lights, you only need to remove one screw accessed from the wheel well, easiest done when removing the front wheel well cover screws then you can bend the plastic liner which will make the removal of that screw a lot easier.
One last recommendation is to get the most essential tool to make this job a lot easier. Get the work stand from Harbor freight $19.99 it will make the gluing part a million times easier and prevent you from scratching the paint on the pumper. Here is the web page: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38778
Good luck guys!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Md11skipper
I just finished doing my screens (the same material used as recommended from Daytonaviolet - thanks Daytonaviolet they look really good and fit the overall looks of the car very very well).
Be warned it is very time consuming to cut the screens properly to fit the narrow rim on the outside air inlets (the center is easy), make them look even from the left side to the right side and not interfere with the air duct mounted on the radiators. One of the lessons learned when glueing them onto the rim is to sand the rim abundantly not only on the top lip but also around the lip on the vertical part of the inlet (horizontal section when mounted on the car), there will be a little overrun of the epoxy and if not sanded well, the overrun will not stick. I used 1 minute epoxy to glue them on and on the one side where I forgot to sand the air inlet the epoxy does not stick well.
I have made some extra screens to fit the GT3 pumper inlets if anyone is interested, let me know - by far the most time consuming part of it.
On one of the threads there was a guide for removing the pumper. In addition to the guide, remove the headlights and the fog lights, inside the left headlight housing is the quick disconnect for the headlight washer system - a blue clip. On the side turn signal lights, you only need to remove one screw accessed from the wheel well, easiest done when removing the front wheel well cover screws then you can bend the plastic liner which will make the removal of that screw a lot easier.
One last recommendation is to get the most essential tool to make this job a lot easier. Get the work stand from Harbor freight $19.99 it will make the gluing part a million times easier and prevent you from scratching the paint on the pumper. Here is the web page: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38778
Good luck guys!
Did you take any pictures you can share.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Md11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really nice
No, I did not take any pictures, the pictures from Daytonaviolet show clearly what the screens look like. Let me know if you have any questions on removing any of the parts for this job and I will describe the job to the best of my abilities.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator Tragedy in the GT3!!!