Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gallardo Superleggera vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
doc2s is infamous around these parts
leggera claimed weight is 3000lb comletely dry. running weight is 33xxlb according to sport auto. rs weight is 32xxlb.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 PM
zona is infamous around these partszona is infamous around these parts
These are the links to two seperate comparisions.

Actual weights are included!

http://www.techtreak.com/2007/08/06/...-gt3-rs-video/

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...29612&bottom=0

PS- The U-Tube video is using the original Porsche press GT3RS. By now this car has many miles of all kinds of usage!
-z

Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zona
These cars are not in the same league.

The Lambo is AWD with 530hp at 3100lbs. The RS is rear wheel drive with 415hp at 3400 lbs. The way I look at it if I were a lambo engineer, I'd be scratching my head wondering why the little green monster is so close!

IMO the GT3 and RS have the perfect balance of HP, style, durability and handling. I dare anyone to name another car in the same category as the RS that can be driven everyday, in any weather, drive it to the track for some fun and stop by the grocery store on the way home. Oh yeah.........and still keep up with cars that have 100 more hp!

Some key points-
  • Porsche has stated that a street version of the GT3 3.8 motor would only produce 1-2% additional hp over the currently produced 3.6 and the cost to mass produce a 3.8 is not justified.
  • A 480hp GT3 would have had more power that a cup motor (450HP) and the same hp as a 997tt. Porsche has never produced cars that would compete head to head with the model line above it.
  • At the upper levels of professional racing, IMO the drivers are all pretty evenly matched. What makes the difference is not necessarilly $$$$$, although it helps. The difference is usually preperation. Every major series that the 997 races in, they have some kind of disadvantage. Cups and RSR's still use the factory unibody, struts and factory suspension points. The same unibody, suspension points and many parts as the street GT3/RS. You can even go to your local dealer and order the same racing parts as the pro teams use over the counter. This includes a complete RSR! Now try that for a ALMS F430 or a SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE Caddy! Most series rules are not made to help the Porsche win, but to help the competition compete with Porsche. I don't think I've seen a 997cup or 997RSR get "walked on" in the straights.....by any make of sedan.
  • I'd suggest that anyone that thinks the GT3/RS or even a 997 cup or 997RSR are slouches on the road or track got out and spend some time in, under, around, behind, infront and on top of one of these cars. Only then will you realize the awesome engineering of a design that is basically some 50 years old.
-Z
amen to that! i think it would be cool for a 450-480 hp GT3 but a 12.0@118 is f*ing fast as hell for a 415 hp car and is prob more than most can handle...its a phenomenal car, and thats why is won best car for the road and the track by motortend, and evo magazine.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Don Relentless
not too suprising. but magazine tests are to be taken as a grain of salt. these two cars are so different. the gallardo's 4wd system is so easy to drive that someone without alot of seat time in this car could track it well first day out, where as the gt3rs requires some skill and seat time. someone who really knows how to handle the rs could probably do alot better. this article is meaningless.
thats very true...

Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The SL should be compared more to a GT2, or something like a Ruf R Kompressor

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold

The Lambo is AWD with 530hp at 3100lbs. The RS is rear wheel drive with 415hp at 3400 lbs. The way I look at it if I were a lambo engineer, I'd be scratching my head wondering why the little green monster is so close!
Originally Posted by doc2s
leggera claimed weight is 3000lb comletely dry. running weight is 33xxlb according to sport auto. rs weight is 32xxlb.
I don't know where you guys got your stats from. The Superleggera weighs 2925lbs and the RS weighs 3031lbs.

Last edited by NAPO; 08-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 PM
My weights are with fuel and driver............since you really cannot tell which car is faster without them!
-z

Originally Posted by NAPO
I don't know where you guys got your stats from. The Superleggera weighs 2925lbs and the RS weighs 3031lbs.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zonda

IMO the GT3 and RS have the perfect balance of HP, style, durability and handling. I dare anyone to name another car in the same category as the RS that can be driven everyday, in any weather, drive it to the track for some fun and stop by the grocery store on the way home. Oh yeah.........and still keep up with cars that have 100 more hp!

Some key points-
  • Porsche has stated that a street version of the GT3 3.8 motor would only produce 1-2% additional hp over the currently produced 3.6 and the cost to mass produce a 3.8 is not justified.
  • A 480hp GT3 would have had more power that a cup motor (450HP) and the same hp as a 997tt. Porsche has never produced cars that would compete head to head with the model line above it.
  • At the upper levels of professional racing, IMO the drivers are all pretty evenly matched. What makes the difference is not necessarilly $$$$$, although it helps. The difference is usually preperation. Every major series that the 997 races in, they have some kind of disadvantage. Cups and RSR's still use the factory unibody, struts and factory suspension points. The same unibody, suspension points and many parts as the street GT3/RS. You can even go to your local dealer and order the same racing parts as the pro teams use over the counter. This includes a complete RSR! Now try that for a ALMS F430 or a SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE Caddy! Most series rules are not made to help the Porsche win, but to help the competition compete with Porsche. I don't think I've seen a 997cup or 997RSR get "walked on" in the straights.....by any make of sedan.
  • I'd suggest that anyone that thinks the GT3/RS or even a 997 cup or 997RSR are slouches on the road or track got out and spend some time in, under, around, behind, infront and on top of one of these cars. Only then will you realize the awesome engineering of a design that is basically some 50 years old.
-Z

+1 Sooo true great post

Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 AM
doc2s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NAPO
2925 is without any fluids, just to make the car look impressive. stats are from several magazine test drives. sport auto comes to mind.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The Porsche driven by Randy Pobst in Speed GT gets walked on the straights all the time, it's just not fast in a straight line.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I guess it all depends on what you consider "fast".

But your right.............that "slow" 997cup is leading in the Speed World Challenge, um..... I believe it won on the low speed tracks of Watkins Glenn , Lime Rock and finished second on that ever slow track of Mid Ohio. I guess the straights were too narrow to walk by!

Lets see.........which car won the championship last year?

C'mon Heavy.......get with the program!

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The Porsche driven by Randy Pobst in Speed GT gets walked on the straights all the time, it's just not fast in a straight line.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute

But your right.............that "slow" 997cup is leading in the Speed World Challenge, um..... I believe it won on the low speed tracks of Watkins Glenn , Lime Rock and finished second on that ever slow track of Mid Ohio. I guess the straights were too narrow to walk by!

Well it is the slowest car on the 996TT section of this forum and among all the E-racers.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
They dont get walked on the straights and it couldnt have been a 3.8
the cups are using 3.6's so the street car had to be a 3.6 as per rules.
If and when the mkII comes out it will be a 3.8 as the cup car will be a 3.8
And when you consider most of the Speed world challenge rules dont
favor the gt3 its amazing that it does what it does. THis isnt about
cubic inches

Last edited by OldGuy; 08-13-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

You are obviously looking at the results and not watching the races. Randy's car gets walked on the straights all the time by the corvette of lou giglotti, the viper of archer and the caddy's. He is just a better driver and the car handles better.

If you think racing is all about straight line acceleration, it's you that needs a program.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM

I am watching the complete series of races. Giglotti hasn't won a pole or a race all season. The Caddy's and Archer's Viper have only won one race each! Probt's 997 has two wins and a pole. He started 4th at Watkins Glenn (that means he passed 3 cars on a very fast track to win!) and for his other win he started on the pole and was passed by no one!

Don't get me wrong, all the tube frame cars in this series are fast, and they should be. But the unibody 997 is just as fast (in a straight line), handles better and stops faster than all the other makes in the series.

Lets examine the races, since you state that I am only looking at the results-
-Giglotti out qualified and finished higher in the first three races than Probst- so Probst was not passed by Lou in the first three races since Lou finished higher!
-Giglotti qualified lower than Probst in the next four races and finished lower than Probst- so Giglotti did not pass Probst.
These are just facts for your Giglotti walking scenerio.......he has not passed Probst this year.........at all!

Now lets look at Probst's races-
Sebring- qualified 8th/ finished 7th
Long Beach- qualified 6th/ finished 6th
Miller Motorsports park- qualified 5th/ finished 4th
Charlotte- qualified 3rd/ finished 3rd (Michael Galati 997 on Pole)
Watkins Glenn- qualified 4th/ finished 1st
Toronto- qualified 1st/ finished 1st (Probst on Pole)
Morsport- qualified 3rd/ finished 2nd

So as you can see from the races, Probst's 997 has not been passed for position at any time this year and has not finished lower that he qualified!

BTW- The 997's have won two poles, ony the tube frames 'Vettes (not Giglotti's) and 'Caddy's have equaled this number. 0 poles for the Vipers.

Oh yeah.......Probst is a very fast driver but as I stated before, at this level of racing the top drivers are pretty evenly matched. This holds true for most of professional motor racing.

What else would you like to discuss!
-z

Originally Posted by heavychevy
You are obviously looking at the results and not watching the races. Randy's car gets walked on the straights all the time by the corvette of lou giglotti, the viper of archer and the caddy's. He is just a better driver and the car handles better.

If you think racing is all about straight line acceleration, it's you that needs a program.

Last edited by zona; 08-14-2007 at 12:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gallardo Superleggera vs GT3RS