Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gallardo Superleggera vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Gallardo Superleggera vs GT3RS

have you guys seen the latest issue of EVO? they have a really massive test of uber Lambos (Countach 25th anniversary, Diablo VT, LP640 and Gallardo SL)... then after that they compare the Gallardo SL with a 7GT3RS on track

the Gallardo murdered the RS' laptime by close to 2 seconds (around Bedford autodrome)

i'll try to scan the article if i get a chance...

Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
what did you expect, it has over 100 more hp

Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Boyko23 is infamous around these parts
Wait for the GT2 and then you will see real murder...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I still maintain the 997 GT3 as underpowered. Shoulda been at least a 3.8. And what's worse is that you cant really get much more out of it. GT3 + 480 or so hp would be the shiznit.

I still cant beleive it got raped by a gallardo. I dont like lambos. But mag tests, as always are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Boyko23
+1....the GT3RS and SuperL arent evenly matched.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boyko23
+1..................

Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I still maintain the 997 GT3 as underpowered. Shoulda been at least a 3.8. And what's worse is that you cant really get much more out of it. GT3 + 480 or so hp would be the shiznit.

I still cant beleive it got raped by a gallardo. I dont like lambos. But mag tests, as always are to be taken with a grain of salt.
They might be underpowered but they can handle their own with regular Gallardos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9x-A40wJQ

Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute

I supposed all the Cups are suffering from underpower as well (and not winning races.)
Horsepwower isn't everything But Balance is. And these cars are perfectly balanced. I suggest you go drive one at the track.

Last edited by vincentdds; 08-09-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
They might be underpowered but they can handle their own with regular Gallardos.

hell yea man! dont you know it luis! your car is such a beast.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I supposed all the Cups are suffering from underpower as well (and not winning races.)
Horsepwower isn't everything But Balance is. And these cars are perfectly balanced. I suggest you go drive one at the track.
Dont be getting all sensitive. Racing series are all about equal opportunity, whoever has the most money wins, and most people that have Porsche Race cars have a lot of money and therefore win. They handle like crazy and get walked on the straights.

But again these are racing series, racing motors rebuilt after every so many hours, and racing cars, racing trannies, race drivers, there is a world of difference.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LUISGT3

not to be an *** but a gallardo spyder is significantly slower than a coupe.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
not too suprising. but magazine tests are to be taken as a grain of salt. these two cars are so different. the gallardo's 4wd system is so easy to drive that someone without alot of seat time in this car could track it well first day out, where as the gt3rs requires some skill and seat time. someone who really knows how to handle the rs could probably do alot better. this article is meaningless.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Dont be getting all sensitive. Racing series are all about equal opportunity, whoever has the most money wins, and most people that have Porsche Race cars have a lot of money and therefore win. They handle like crazy and get walked on the straights.

But again these are racing series, racing motors rebuilt after every so many hours, and racing cars, racing trannies, race drivers, there is a world of difference.
"A world of difference"???

Weren't you griping about horsepower?
The Cup cars have exact same engine, tranny and chasis as the GT3/RS. All the developments in Porsche Motorsports carry directly over to their street cars. The only major difference is how these cars being prep to run.
Why should they put the costly 3.8L RSR engine into the GT3s when these cars are selling off the shelf. Seems like anyone that gripes about lack of power are the ones that never or barely driven a GT3. The bottomline is it's a perfectly balance car and Porsche have no problem selling them at 415hp.

Last edited by vincentdds; 08-09-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
zona is infamous around these partszona is infamous around these parts
These cars are not in the same league.

The Lambo is AWD with 530hp at 3100lbs. The RS is rear wheel drive with 415hp at 3400 lbs. The way I look at it if I were a lambo engineer, I'd be scratching my head wondering why the little green monster is so close!

IMO the GT3 and RS have the perfect balance of HP, style, durability and handling. I dare anyone to name another car in the same category as the RS that can be driven everyday, in any weather, drive it to the track for some fun and stop by the grocery store on the way home. Oh yeah.........and still keep up with cars that have 100 more hp!

Some key points-
  • Porsche has stated that a street version of the GT3 3.8 motor would only produce 1-2% additional hp over the currently produced 3.6 and the cost to mass produce a 3.8 is not justified.
  • A 480hp GT3 would have had more power that a cup motor (450HP) and the same hp as a 997tt. Porsche has never produced cars that would compete head to head with the model line above it.
  • At the upper levels of professional racing, IMO the drivers are all pretty evenly matched. What makes the difference is not necessarilly $$$$$, although it helps. The difference is usually preperation. Every major series that the 997 races in, they have some kind of disadvantage. Cups and RSR's still use the factory unibody, struts and factory suspension points. The same unibody, suspension points and many parts as the street GT3/RS. You can even go to your local dealer and order the same racing parts as the pro teams use over the counter. This includes a complete RSR! Now try that for a ALMS F430 or a SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE Caddy! Most series rules are not made to help the Porsche win, but to help the competition compete with Porsche. I don't think I've seen a 997cup or 997RSR get "walked on" in the straights.....by any make of sedan.
  • I'd suggest that anyone that thinks the GT3/RS or even a 997 cup or 997RSR are slouches on the road or track got out and spend some time in, under, around, behind, infront and on top of one of these cars. Only then will you realize the awesome engineering of a design that is basically some 50 years old.
-Z

Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned
bmorrell is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zona
These cars are not in the same league.

The Lambo is AWD with 530hp at 3100lbs. The RS is rear wheel drive with 415hp at 3400 lbs. The way I look at it if I were a lambo engineer, I'd be scratching my head wondering why the little green monster is so close!

IMO the GT3 and RS have the perfect balance of HP, style, durability and handling. I dare anyone to name another car in the same category as the RS that can be driven everyday, in any weather, drive it to the track for some fun and stop by the grocery store on the way home. Oh yeah.........and still keep up with cars that have 100 more hp!

Some key points-
  • Porsche has stated that a street version of the GT3 3.8 motor would only produce 1-2% additional hp over the currently produced 3.6 and the cost to mass produce a 3.8 is not justified.
  • A 480hp GT3 would have had more power that a cup motor (450HP) and the same hp as a 997tt. Porsche has never produced cars that would compete head to head with the model line above it.
  • At the upper levels of professional racing, IMO the drivers are all pretty evenly matched. What makes the difference is not necessarilly $$$$$, although it helps. The difference is usually preperation. Every major series that the 997 races in, they have some kind of disadvantage. Cups and RSR's still use the factory unibody, struts and factory suspension points. The same unibody, suspension points and many parts as the street GT3/RS. You can even go to your local dealer and order the same racing parts as the pro teams use over the counter. This includes a complete RSR! Now try that for a ALMS F430 or a SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE Caddy! Most series rules are not made to help the Porsche win, but to help the competition compete with Porsche. I don't think I've seen a 997cup or 997RSR get "walked on" in the straights.....by any make of sedan.
  • I'd suggest that anyone that thinks the GT3/RS or even a 997 cup or 997RSR are slouches on the road or track got out and spend some time in, under, around, behind, infront and on top of one of these cars. Only then will you realize the awesome engineering of a design that is basically some 50 years old.
-Z
Great post! I agree, these cars are two totally different things. And if you want to talk about money, the Gallardo SL is $$$ above a GT3 RS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gallardo Superleggera vs GT3RS