GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How do secure you GT3 in a trailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bobbrock
Those are pretty cool.
The autometrics will work in the rear, but not the front - too low to the ground in the front. Best to use through the spoke tie downs in the front. I will post photos as soon as time permits.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Glazier is infamous around these parts
Try these straps very high quality and won't scratch you rims
http://www.truckntow.com/pc-18974-14...-set-of-4.aspx

Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
bobbrock is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Don't put it in a trailer. DRIVE IT TO THE LOCATION. That's the best way to get it there. I secure all of my cars thru the spokes on the rims and they do fine. Just don't leave it in gear or leave your e-brake on.
Why not leave it in gear or e-brake?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
In gear can ruin the transmission. E brake some don't care about but it's not needed and if you put your car away Hot. High chance it will freeze there. The tie downs work and the car will be fine.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
In gear can ruin the transmission. E brake some don't care about but it's not needed and if you put your car away Hot. High chance it will freeze there. The tie downs work and the car will be fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM
NMEX is infamous around these parts
Use the hooks. I been towing my GT3 for 1 year and I had not a single problem. Several race teams I know used them as well and no need for Tie downs on the tires.
One thinkg if you get the the right rear hook gets very close to the dry sump tank so instead of hooking from the top hook from bottom to top.( Onece you put them you will see what I am saying.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by NMEX
Use the hooks. I been towing my GT3 for 1 year and I had not a single problem. Several race teams I know used them as well and no need for Tie downs on the tires.
One thinkg if you get the the right rear hook gets very close to the dry sump tank so instead of hooking from the top hook from bottom to top.( Onece you put them you will see what I am saying.

Good luck
Do you have any pics?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lawjdc
The autometrics will work in the rear, but not the front - too low to the ground in the front. Best to use through the spoke tie downs in the front. I will post photos as soon as time permits.
Not so. They have worked well for me for a couple of years now. But I may not be diving the front end as deep as you, that is, not standing on the brakes as hard as you do, or climbing over the curbing. A friend of mine just got a set, and I see on their instructions where they suggest bending the fronts a tad. I do have some scrapes on the bottom end of one hook, but not severe enough for me to be concerned.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Hope this helps!

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

Filter thru the contents.. there is a bunch of good info.

Cheers

R

P.S.

Jack,

Tie down with car out of gear may relieve stress on tranny/drivetrain by avoiding "rocking" the gears as load shifts with suspension?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Originally Posted by Glazier
Thanks, those look great and I just ordered 2 sets and ratchets.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
cdy
cdy is infamous around these parts
I use the Autometric tie down rings front and back. If you tie through the front wheels, you will pull the toe setting off. The front Autometric ties were scraping the pavement on my lowered 996 GT3 during heavy braking, so I took them off and bent them to an "S" shape or "Z" shape and re-installed. Then, have some fixed length straps made to fit the front and hold your car just where you want it in the trailer. You only have to cinch the back that way. Don't criss-cross; it gives more strap area to stretch. Be sure to put your strap hooks up through the inside of the hook eye. When you hit bumps, the car suspension will compress and the tie-down strap hooks can jump out if you just hook them over the ring from outside. Better, get hooks with safety locks.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by forhamilton
Strap it diagonally across the top of the car from all four corners.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Triss is infamous around these parts
Do not strap it through the spokes of the wheels, and I would NOT recommend these hooks either. Always sling the straps around the wheels...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
JGibson is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Glazier
I think those are a great suggestion. I use those guys for a lot of things, since they provide nearly everything that you could want for moving a vehicle lol.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Ford GT and whenever it's trailered it is tied down by a set of (4) covers that go over each of the four tires. It's like a heavy nylon 'sock' that covers the upper half of each tire down just under the axle line of the wheel. From each of the sides of the cover (forward and trailing) is a tie-down strap that hooks to the trailer.
This prevents any damage to the wheel, and any unusual stress on bearings, and spreads the load of the tie-down and trailer movement across 1/2 the tire.
It's the only way I would tie down any car since it places load on the car in the place(s) the car was designed for it.
V.
P.S. The picture attached captures the idea but is a set of straps rather than a full nylon cover. Either will do.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Verde; 06-09-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added photo