Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Comparison test between 997TT, GT3, GT3 RS and C2S w/ X51. Surprising results.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JWGT2
Well said...it's truly tough to quantify the overall involvement and feel you get in GT3/RS.
Aye but if only those cars had some powa

See you tomorrow bud.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
It was a small course.

The testers stated that; "the compact loop at Bedford provides an excellent mixture of open and tight radii, first/second/third/fourth gear turns, two straights to display grunt, heavy braking zones and some high speed transitions. The fastest car here would be the fastest on any other circuit bar an oval - of that there can be no doubt."
Isn't bedford where teh Cayenne TT and EVO VIII made some identical times 3 years ago?

Anyway, I guess that's some great numbers out of the 997S and shows what a beast the 997 is when it comes to performance with the least effort.

For sheer driving around the track or mountains I would probably pick the GT3 for the wide power band, instant throttle response, less weight, rear wheel drive, sound and rev happiness. If I could only have one car though and didn't have to consider practicality I can't think of a better car than the TT. IMO the GT3 is somehow a one-trick-pony since it's amazing for enjoying the act of driving and engagement in it but it's not great when you commute or travel. The TT instead can take you places with minimal effort and require less attention allowing you to enjoy the trip.

Two very different cars with different purposes. Shows though that one doesn't cancel the other.

Effectiveness vs engagement. Tough one.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Hahahhaaha 0-60 4.5 sec for the GT3? that alone shows these numbers are 100% not accurate. Something was up with that car or the driver. I think we can all agree we have ALL seen GT3s close enough to a full seconed faster then that to 60.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I have been preaching this for a while now that the TT is as fast or faster on track than the GT3, imagine on equal tires. However the GT3 is a better car for a real race where as the TT would only be good for a time attack style race with a few laps.

GT3 is still a great car and better looking IMO. I just think the TT has been underestimated on the track.

This begs the question, will there be a 997 Turbo S? (I posted this in the 997 TT section but got no response) because it would surely have to be faster than the GT3 on track.

All the more reason Porsche is going to have to up the anti in the power department on the GT3's in the near future.

Of course this is mag racing and only one mag test at that, but there is lots of evidence that supports the claims.

EDIT: I do have some questions about this test though because I wouldnt expect a C2s to be so close to any of these cars. I expect the TT to be as fast on equal tires but it shouldnt be close on PS2's vs MPSC's. So I do still have doubt about this test, but still stick by my claims based on ring times by same driver same tires (obviously optimal conditions)

Last edited by heavychevy; 08-25-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Similar to the AMG, the TT is fast but you don't feel it.
Every TT I've ever driven sure felt fast. And if it doesn't feel fast then cudos to Porsche. The car is doing it's job.

Now go ahead and chip that TT for $2500 and compare the results. Let's see what $2500 in mods on a GT3 will do to lap times.

The GT3's are cool cars. I think they look better than the TT's for sure. But if you can turn your car into a 600hp monster for under $10K, drive it to work everyday in comfort in all weather conditions, and still crush people at the track... I can't imagine buying anything else.

If rear wheel drive is your fancy, that's an easy fix on the TT. Try and make a GT3 all wheel drive

Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
DD's point is what I have been saying all along. The TT is just warming up while the GT3 is at its peak. Add a few bits here and there and the TT is now in 599/CGT performance territory. The Gt3 is still back playing with the R8's and 08 Vettes. The TT feels plenty involving when you are 20-30mph faster going into the braking zones than a Gt3.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Was it the same driver?

Christian

Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM
jsdkms is infamous around these parts
GT3RS all the way for me - no TT.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jsdkms
GT3RS all the way for me - no TT.
Thanks for letting us know.

Personally, I like them all. Just thought it was an interesting test and outcome.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-25-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Personally, I was surpised that the TT matched the GT3 on such a short course. I would think a tight course would favor the GT3.

Can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ritesh
Mag racing - I love it.

The TT is quite impressive on paper. However, IMHO the GT3/GT3RS is alot more fun/involving to drive. I prefer the involvement of the 3 to the fast/GT feel of the TT.
I'm with you...I completely agree...GT3 for life

Old 08-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
The C2S and TT were tested with street tires, vs the Cups on the Gt3/RS. Another factor to consider
Thanks. That's a very important bit of information that I accidentally left out.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:12 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
People are paying what $40,000 over MSRP for the RS? What am I missing?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:18 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nberry
People are paying what $40,000 over MSRP for the RS? What am I missing?
To have the only RS you'll see on the road for months at a time....

Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I read this article from GT Porsche magazine. They had all the cars at the same time tested in the same conditions. The measurements are valid, as far as I see.

The conclusion was that the GT3 was the best of the bunch, in terms of value and driving excitement.

The turbo and 997S w/ x51 generally had the same turn speeds, but the turbo would catch up to the gt3's track time on the straights.

The comment which made me smile was this:
"So what did we learn from this exercise? That a Powerkit equipped Carrera 2S has enough straight-line performance to engender some caution from Gt3 owners at the traffic light GP. But also that its short gearing pretties the picture somewhat, and that it simply cannot translate that pace into a lap time that demeans either GT3 (GT3 and RS)."

Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparison test between 997TT, GT3, GT3 RS and C2S w/ X51. Surprising results.