Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Comparison test between 997TT, GT3, GT3 RS and C2S w/ X51. Surprising results.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nberry
People are paying what $40,000 over MSRP for the RS? What am I missing?
No Nick, the real question is what are THEY missing!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
You can't measure everything on performance. There are a lot of intangibles. You know the Vette guys are saying the same thing about us!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
chunpng is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
Hahahhaaha 0-60 4.5 sec for the GT3? that alone shows these numbers are 100% not accurate. Something was up with that car or the driver. I think we can all agree we have ALL seen GT3s close enough to a full seconed faster then that to 60.
Urrrr... 3.5 seconds for a GT3 to go 0-60? I don't think so. 4.5 seems a tad high, but I'm not sure the GT3 breaks into the 3 second range.

CP

Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The test was very well done...except for the tires, fit cups on that TT and look out.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
You can't measure everything on performance. There are a lot of intangibles. You know the Vette guys are saying the same thing about us!
Excellent point! The Vette forums are full of guys who brag about beating TTs and GT3s every day of the week. Does that make a Z06 a better car? Not in my book.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chunpng
Urrrr... 3.5 seconds for a GT3 to go 0-60? I don't think so. 4.5 seems a tad high, but I'm not sure the GT3 breaks into the 3 second range.

CP
Did I say a full seconed? I do not think so. Since we are basing this all on magazines. Almost every magazine that tested the 997 GT3 got a 3.8 0-60 time for the GT3.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:37 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
If the GT3's were on cups, that explains the slow 0-60 times. It's my understanding that Cups require some running to warm up. Then they become nice and sticky. Obviously you're not going to get that in quick 0-60 sprints. Put those same cars on PS2's and the times will go down, but the track times will go up. Put the TT on the same Cups and it's 0-60 times will go up and track times will go down. This does seem to be the best comparison so far, but no test/comparison is ever perfect and the fact that these cars were all on different tires proves it. But as mentioned, the added drag of the wing and the wider hips really shows in the triple digit speeds. Put the RS suspension onto the GT3 or TT and it would be very interesting to see what happens to track times in those vehicles.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
This does seem to be the best comparison so far
Did you get to read the article? I haven't and cannot say these numbers mean anything coming from the UK!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Put the RS suspension onto the GT3 or TT and it would be very interesting to see what happens to track times in those vehicles.
I guess we'll just have to wait till they test the GT2 then

Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Great compilation of stats. I wonder how a real race woud turn out.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SLATETT
Great compilation of stats. I wonder how a real race woud turn out.
It was a race! The same driver(s) drove the 4 different cars (GT3, RS, C2S w/ x51, Turbo) on the same track on the same day. All four cars are pictured together on the track. Great article. It's featured on the last GT Porsche magazine.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
I would take a GT3-RS over a 997TT any day.

Turbos are fast around the track because those VTG Turbos spool up fast and give you great response coming out of corners and pulling down the straights, but no way that its entry speed into corners matches the GT3/RS as it is much heavier and has an inferior suspension setup. The fact that the Turbo is fast enough to compensate for its weight and lack of handling does not necessarily make it a great track car. With the GT3, you can feel everything that is going on with the car, and for many drivers, they can easily yield better times in a GT3 because the handling characteristics can inspire more confidence.

The GT3-RS is worth the money for those who truly appreciate the car. Obviously many here do not. The car has a homologation-spec suspension which is used on the 997 RSR, which allows for minimal camber change even at lower ride height through the use of different carriers and multi-link "wishbone" setup. The wheel carriers are made of hollow cast magnesium and save several pounds per corner in unsprung weight, while providing optimal geometry through enhanced suspension pickup points.

Thr Turbo is a great everyday GT. The GT3 and GT3-RS are a better driver's car.

And I disagree with the statement that 0.6 seconds is insignificant around a short course where the lap time is around 1 minute and change. After two laps, it's 1.2 seconds. After 10 laps, it's 6 seconds... and that's a lot in racing! Do you have any idea what race teams would spend to shave 0.6 seconds off of their cars?

But who cares about all this nonsense when you can have the best of both worlds and buy a GT2 (or a Carrera GT)?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
This test was done in UK, right!?
Knowing how seldom it doesn't rain there, I bet it was raining that time and/or the track was damp. If so, it would yeild huge advantage for the PS2's vs. the cups AND the AWD of the tt...

Nice test, regardles! Thanks for posting!!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Juha
This test was done in UK, right!?
Knowing how seldom it doesn't rain there, I bet it was raining that time and/or the track was damp. If so, it would yeild huge advantage for the PS2's vs. the cups AND the AWD of the tt...
You GT3 guys will come up with anything to be faster than a TT at this point won't you?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
You GT3 guys will come up with anything to be faster than a TT at this point won't you?
Why of course!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparison test between 997TT, GT3, GT3 RS and C2S w/ X51. Surprising results.