Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Ruf RT12 vs 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Ruf RT12 vs 997 GT3

i also posted this in the 997TT forum...

hope you guys don't mind the double post. sorry for the poor camera work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aEbORZtis

Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Very nice. I expected the difference in acceleration to be more decisive, though. But, regardless of how you look at it, RT12 is a great car!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
that looked pretty decisive to me. The RT12 is RIDICULOUS!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Originally Posted by maxwell
that looked pretty decisive to me. The RT12 is RIDICULOUS!!!
I was expecting the RT12 to start gaining immediately. In the video, the RT12 does not gain too much for the first 3 to 4 seconds. But then again, it could just be because he was not on full-throttle and/or in the wrong gear.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
the RT12 is F-----G FAST!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:26 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by jlee
I was expecting the RT12 to start gaining immediately. In the video, the RT12 does not gain too much for the first 3 to 4 seconds. But then again, it could just be because he was not on full-throttle and/or in the wrong gear.
Truth be told, in say, 1st and 2nd gears, the Ruf doesn't feel THAT much faster than other supercars. For one, boost is electronically limited in 1st gear, AFAIK. I was definitely on full-throttle. I'd say that vs a stock 997TT, the difference at the start would be even less, given the Turbo's torque. Its really towards the top of 3rd, and then especially in 4th and 5th that the Ruf sets itself apart from stock cars.

The other thing too is that it shows how much difference a head start makes, once you're in anything with over 400HP. The GT3 was on the gas for what, maybe less than 2 seconds before I got on the throttle. Yet that was enough to build up a good head of steam that it took a while for the RT12 to overcome.

This is why-- as many have pointed out-- fixation on 0-60mph times is meaningless with these cars, because beyond a certain point, there's not going to be much difference. But its the top end that separates the merely quick (Evo's, M3's, etc) from the fast (GT3's, turbo's) from the really fast (Enzo, CGT, RT12, etc) from the destroy-all-in-their-path monsters (TT Vipers, Protomotive/EVOms custom builds, big turbo Supras, etc).

its a pity that my friend holding the camera didn't continue to film the view of the GT3 as it receded in the rear view mirror, because that really would have illustrated the difference. In fact, after the race, a friend of mine that was riding in the GT3 said "I thought the car (GT3) was broken!".

Last edited by hesperus; 08-27-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by hesperus
Truth be told, in say, 1st and 2nd gears, the Ruf doesn't feel THAT much faster than other supercars. For one, boost is electronically limited in 1st gear, AFAIK. I was definitely on full-throttle. I'd say that vs a stock 997TT, the difference at the start would be even less, given the Turbo's torque. Its really towards the top of 3rd, and then especially in 4th and 5th that the Ruf sets itself apart from stock cars.

The other thing too is that it shows how much difference a head start makes, once you're in anything with over 400HP. The GT3 was on the gas for what, maybe less than 2 seconds before I got on the throttle. Yet that was enough to build up a good head of steam that it took a while for the RT12 to overcome.

This is why-- as many have pointed out-- fixation on 0-60mph times is meaningless with these cars, because beyond a certain point, there's not going to be much difference. But its the top end that separates the merely quick (Evo's, M3's, etc) from the fast (GT3's, turbo's) from the really fast (Enzo, CGT, RT12, etc) from the destroy-all-in-their-path monsters (TT Vipers, Protomotive/EVOms custom builds, big turbo Supras, etc).

its a pity that my friend holding the camera didn't continue to film the view of the GT3 as it receded in the rear view mirror, because that really would have illustrated the difference. In fact, after the race, a friend of mine that was riding in the GT3 said "I thought the car (GT3) was broken!".
Thanks! What you said makes perfect sense.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
oh, and for what its worth (a lot actually, i think ,) my friend who was holding the camera got to ride both the RT12 and the GT3 on that day; his first time ever in such powerful cars.

while he will never forget the ride in the Ruf, since we briefly touched an indicated 200mph at one point, based on what he was saying afterwards, it was the ride in the GT3 that was more visceral and exciting.

the Ruf is a thrill because you know that you're in a really fast car and you're hitting the double ton on the speedo, and you're eating alive a GT3 that's got the loud pedal flush against the carpet... but the seat of the pants ride in the GT3-- the way the body moves, the taughtness of the suspension, and above all the SOUND-- make it not only exciting in a different way, but also in a way that is somehow... "more" so than the Ruf.

a final point-- i've driven both cars on the Nurburgring last year. I love the RT12 to bits, make no mistake; its still my "favorite" car in our stable... But if i could drive the 'Ring again, i'd take the 3's keys over the Ruf's every time

(well ok, if it was raining, i'll take the RT12's AWD and PSM then! (am no Schumacher rainmeister here!!! ))

Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Scott '96 993c2 is infamous around these parts
About what I'd expect. Nice vid ... thanks for sharing.

Scott

Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
that's sick.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 AM
90PSI is infamous around these parts
hesperus- Awesome vid. Do you mind re-posting a couple interior pics of that beast you have? Those houndstooth seats really do it for me!