GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 / Laguna Seca noise limitations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Chris Huck is infamous around these parts
GT3 / Laguna Seca noise limitations

Hoping for some input -

I have a customer with a stock 997 GT3 who ran at Laguna Seca this past weekend and was dismayed to find none of the stock GT3's that were running were within noise restrictions and were continuously black flagged for being too loud!

So - lift off the throttle near where they were measuring and no black flag but that cost 3 seconds on the lap!!!

He said the cup cars had big ugly noise restrictors taped or bolted on but they looked like Frankensteins' exhausts.

Any ideas on keeping a clean "street" look while reducing the sound and not jeapordizing performance?

Evidently the GT2 will have a noise restrictor? Any input on compatibility with a GT3 or maybe there are other options?

Any help is appreciated!

Chris

Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Thats fukin lame, good luck. Id put a loudener just to rebel.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
I've run LS both with my stock 996GT3 mufflers and Cargraphics mufflers, which are quite a bit louder at WOT. Have never been blackflagged. I've driven, and been behind 997GT3s, and don't consider them to be louder than mine by a long shot. Are you sure he was running completely stock? Any of the bypass pipe kits would have put him over easily.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
I ran at Laguna Seca last weekend with the POC group. Stock 997 GT3 exhaust is too loud (more than the allowed 92db) exiting turn #5 and heading up the hill past the sound *****. The solution? For me it was to take turn #5 in 4th gear, take a nap up the hill in 4th gear past the sound meter, then downshift to third just before turn #6 and power up the hill in third shifting to 4th gear. I figure I was losing a few seconds a lap, but nothing else seemed to work.

2 other 997 GT3's had the same problem, but no problems with the 996 GT3's that I am aware of.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
Track out hard after turn 5 and short shift immediately. Half throttle until 200 yards past booth. Should only cost you 1.5 to 2 seconds per lap. Last session of the day go for your fast lap WOT. Some track day organizers can get slight increases depending on dates. 92db is pretty low. I blow that after a good burrito.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
chris, is your customer in a white GT3 with red graphics?

i was in an orange RS, 96.8 dB.
then i think it was your ciient who advised me to stuff foam pads into the air intake. that brought it down to 94.x dB.

i clocked a 1:42:7xx lifting up T5. take T5 in 3rd gear, WOT until car is at exit berm, short shift into 4th, move way left, then i just stayed in 4th to take T6.

but the new pavement really caused severe push. i litterally have to lift completely to get car to turn at T6.

i think if you stuff foam into intake, then make a small elbow for the exhaust and turn it driver side, track out after T5 then move track left at sound station. i think that will do it.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I got black flagged on a 103db day, 2 over, as all the others said, you just have to lift, also if you can find a tip to add and angle out drivers side, that will help.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
This is F'in the USA, leave the sound ****'s to Europe. It's a freakin race track, if the neighbors don't like the noise, they shouldn't have moved next to...well, a F'ING RACE TRACK!!!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Hey, I thought my Burns/supertrap muffler looked pretty good on my cup car. The best part was I could run WOT in 4th right past the sound meter.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I ran practicing that last weekend and had one of the nasty ugly space ship looking exhausts out of my 997 Cup you guys are referring. All the guys complaining about having to lift in turn 5 are crazy. The little lost there was more than gained back by running full throttle the rest of the track. This hurt no ones times. The pro driver running ran legal laps in a 996 GT3 Cup in the low 34's and took 1/2 second off his time max running up the hill after 5 full speed. My 997 Cup lost approx 40-50hp with my exhaust system and my decibles were in the upper 80's. Legal but that is how you lose time on Laguna. Best lap for me was a 1:33.2. I am sure the hp difference cost me about 2-3 seconds but don't really care.
We as a group need to learn to run legal so tracks as fun as Laguna Seca don't dissappear out of our lives. No matter how much people think "you shouldn't have moved in next to it if you didn't want to hear it" we will never lose those people complaining about tracks. Laguna is one of just a handful left near residential properties and let's try to keep it. Too much noise and the "very rich" that do live around it will close it.
We get to run Laguna 5 days a year with our pro cars and it's a blast. The track really loses nothing running just a little slower so drive it hard, muffle it and have fun. The cars you guys are running are just as fun 4 miles per hour slower, believe me.
The push you felt going around 6 is pretty normal. Your RS was fine, that track was pretty hot and slick right there for the weekend and more than 1 car over shot that corner last weekend.
The Orange RS driver I wanted to talk to but he dissappeared early and I was dissappointed. My team had Supertraps and lots of stuff he could have purchased for the weekend to keep his weekend alive. Too bad he left I wanted to see the car roll more

Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
H2Oskier, i was the orange RS driver.
friday was great, despite the sound issue. i am based in norcal so goto LS a lot and usually i can deal with the sound prob. and i agree with your take on not to get to feisty with the county and lose the track.

i left early b/c i was not running with POC, full. i was running with speed venture. but they put too many newbies in the group, i got 5 clean laps all day. so i was a bit disappointed. but i had a good time drooling in the paddock over all the cup cars ;-)

glad that the push at T6 was consistent to everyone. my car never had that much push. i kept looking under the rear thikning maybe the rear sway bar or mounitng bracket broke off ;-) i then tested the car again at thunderhill yesterday, it was neutral again !?!?!

"Too bad he left I wanted to see the car roll more..."
what does that mean? sorry my english is pathetic.
i hope you aren't saying to see my car on it's roof.

Last edited by mooty; 08-28-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Just wanted to see it on the track more. I'm a big fan of the car and I know my 997 Cup is better on the track but my RS is one of my favorite cars ever. Very nice at high speeds and comfort for woman...........It's also got a much better Stereo System in it than the Cup Car. Thunderhill is fun as well. I haven't been there for a long time.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Just wanted to see it on the track more. I'm a big fan of the car and I know my 997 Cup is better on the track but my RS is one of my favorite cars ever. Very nice at high speeds and comfort for woman...........It's also got a much better Stereo System in it than the Cup Car. Thunderhill is fun as well. I haven't been there for a long time.
got it.
it is my fav car as well. much better than my 996gt3, even with moton CS setup.

will you be at infineon with PRC/POC? i only have TT licence with POC, so wont be driving at infineon club race and not having a race car is another problem

but i do plan to get there to watch and drool some more.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I race Laguna Oct 21st in my real series. I think the Infineon Drivers Cup is the week after and don't think I want to race 2 weeks in a row out of state. If you want to drool go to our race the weekend before. The Factory RS Spyders, RSR's our GT3's along with the entire American Lemans group is there.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mooty
got it.
it is my fav car as well. much better than my 996gt3, even with moton CS setup.

will you be at infineon with PRC/POC? i only have TT licence with POC, so wont be driving at infineon club race and not having a race car is another problem

but i do plan to get there to watch and drool some more.
Mooty,

you need a Cup car!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 / Laguna Seca noise limitations