Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What does a low cost track car cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Buy a Spec Miata Race Car $10-15k and race it with the other $5k. You'll learn to drive like nobodies business. Than buy the $50k RS America and whip some people around the track
+1
I autocross with the local Miata club once in a while. They have my respect with the times they post.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
MGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JoeyG
e36 M3!!!!!

/ Thread. ....

Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
360cs.......................

Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Somebody likes Porsches.... :P

As others, I would recommend a Miata. There's a reason they're so popular.

Or maybe a used Evo, prices have come down. Even lightly modded they make sick power.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SmurfM3
You can get a competitive Spec Miata for $15k. They're extremely reliable and teach you how to drive like no other car. I went from a complete newbie to a force to be reckoned with in 2 years. I get about 32 races in per season for only $10k or so in expenses (spread out over 8 race weekends). They are really cheap to run compared to other track cars.

I passed lots of Porsches, a Ferrari F430 on race tires, and a Viper last Friday at Laguna Seca in mine. It was an advanced group, too.

This was back at Infineon Raceway about a year ago:

It's got a few more dents in it now, though. It's okay, though. A paint job is only $400 and bodywork is cheap as well.
is this shawn?
if so we were chatting at rylan's trailer last friday.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
SmurfM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
is this shawn?
if so we were chatting at rylan's trailer last friday.
Hey John. Indeed, it is Sean. How's it going?

I was hoping to see more of you in the last session since you lined up a couple cars behind me. Then, I think you just disappeared since you got black flagged for sound again.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Can't go wrong with a Miata with that budget...

Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, it is definitely a bargain and it teaches you to drive. I tracked an '05 STi before and found out exactly how much I was relying on power and AWD to make up for my mistakes when I hopped in the Miata for the first time...

Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
Vote # 17 for spec miata here. ( I rent one so I don't have to mess with its transport, care, and feeding.) Best deal in racing at the present IMHO. Cheap car = big fields to race with. No matter how fast or slow you are there will always be somebody (and usually several somebodies) to fight with the whole race.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Which region do you race in? I don't rent mine but I have a mechanic prepare it and deliver it to the track. Towing is really, really tiresome. I had to tow it from Davis to Monterey for a trackday last Friday and I was definitely reminded why I pay someone to transport my car to the races.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Spencer is infamous around these parts
My question would be, are you planning on simply tracking the car at DE's or do you want to do wheel to wheel racing??? Big difference IMO.

Buying a kart is another affordable option.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
My son brings two Nissan SE-R Cup cars to the local track events. Usually there is one available to rent for $700 a day including track support. Arrive and drive a car that will beat most street Porsches on track. Next event is Sept. 8-9 Willow Springs.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
yes, 94 dB or so after i tried to fix the air box.
you didn't make PDC on monday at TH?

Originally Posted by SmurfM3
Hey John. Indeed, it is Sean. How's it going?

I was hoping to see more of you in the last session since you lined up a couple cars behind me. Then, I think you just disappeared since you got black flagged for sound again.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by mooty
yes, 94 dB or so after i tried to fix the air box.
you didn't make PDC on monday at TH?
All 3 races at Thunderhill this season are already over, so Thunderhill is taking a back seat to the other tracks now. Now, I'm focusing on Laguna and Sears Point. I have a race at Sears this weekend so I will be testing Thursday. I will go back to do 2 more race weekends at Laguna in September and October.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 AM
John, I really like how you are actually DRIVING your RS like it's a car and not a museum piece. There will always be new cars (for the forseeable future) but life is short and you might as well enjoy them since in the end they're depreciating assets and just pretty hunks of metal if they sit in the garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does a low cost track car cost?