Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What does a low cost track car cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
if you want a FAST cheap track car...go for an Evo...a buddy has a black on black for sale for less than 28k and all that needs are some shocks, bars and harness' really...thing rocks...

Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
94 RX7 with 42K miles. Streetable track car.

JRZ suspension, CF hood, Mazdaspeed rear wing, Sparco seats, M2 rear cage, M2 CF intake, M2 large intercooler, M2 down pipe, M2 cat back exhaust (Cat removed for track, but can be added back in for street), Work forged wheels, AP racing brakes, etc.

Still has AC, radio/CD.

Stock seats are also there if need be.

$20K.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
SmurfM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
if you want a FAST cheap track car...go for an Evo...a buddy has a black on black for sale for less than 28k and all that needs are some shocks, bars and harness' really...thing rocks...
Thing is, the Evo doesn't really teach you how to drive. Aaron from SpeedVentures (trackday organizer) was just telling me how boring the cars are to drive after a while. I found the same to be true of my STi. They are very fast and can be setup to handle very well, but they are not nearly as involving to drive as a rear-wheel drive sportscar. It's too much of a point-and-gas type of thing for my liking.

Evo's and STi's are brilliant street cars and they are really fast on track for what they are. However, they lack a lot of steering feel and driver involvement. The power, AWD, and ABS make you learn slower.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The car $3k. The parts of classifieds and ebay $7k. 310 rwhp and 2700lbs weight.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
IMO as much as I love EVO's for rally sprint and gravel races they are not fun track cars. They are fast and effective but the car makes you ignore danger and just use grip instead of handling.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
Those cars all look nice but I'm talking way less money... Here's the short version of my story, the wife says if I get a Ferrari, I can't keep the 997S, and I still want to go to the track.. So I'm trying to figure out how cheap I can get a car for that will not make me hate myself for getting rid of the 997S....

Get rid of the wife, with those savings, you can get the ferrari and keeep the 997!!!

sorry, to easy to pass up on

Good luck with your search

Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Can you be more clear? RACE car (like the ones Luis is posting) or a TRACK car?

I think an Evo would be a great choice for a track car. Newer (05, 06), Turbo, AWD, cheap to maintain (its a mitsu!), and FAAAAAST for the money.

DO IT......DO IT......

Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
ArcticFox is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Buy a Spec Miata Race Car $10-15k and race it with the other $5k. You'll learn to drive like nobodies business. Than buy the $50k RS America and whip some people around the track
That would be my recommendation too...

I almost pulled the trigger and went this route. However, when I realistically looked at my free time, or lack thereof, I determined that I did not have enough time to race, and that I would just be pissed off that I had a racecar, and no time to race it. So I bought a GT3 and just do a HPDE once in a while.

Good luck with the search!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
SmurfM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ArcticFox
That would be my recommendation too...

I almost pulled the trigger and went this route. However, when I realistically looked at my free time, or lack thereof, I determined that I did not have enough time to race, and that I would just be pissed off that I had a racecar, and no time to race it. So I bought a GT3 and just do a HPDE once in a while.

Good luck with the search!
I know what you mean. When I bought my Spec Miata, I went from doing a handful of track events per year to spending 8 weekends racing at the track and many more days testing and instructing to hone my skills even more. The Miata will teach you how to drive, but as you said, racing only makes you want to spend more time at the track so that you can be competitive.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Buy a Spec Miata Race Car $10-15k and race it with the other $5k. You'll learn to drive like nobodies business. Than buy the $50k RS America and whip some people around the track
Listen to the wise man. He speaketh from experience.

My plan is to wring out my SM and then when I blow the motor - then I get a crate motor and turbo it. 175 WHP and 2100 lbs in a caged race car is an ideal combo.

Last edited by Ritesh; 09-08-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SmurfM3
John, I really like how you are actually DRIVING your RS like it's a car and not a museum piece. There will always be new cars (for the forseeable future) but life is short and you might as well enjoy them since in the end they're depreciating assets and just pretty hunks of metal if they sit in the garage.
you are right, but i took me a LONG time to realize that.
i had 3 miatas and 1 sm in 2003-2003 when i first started tracking. i would have gone racing with kim, but i have a nagging wife

she has no idea i track as much as i do. i just tell her i have to go visit clients hahahaha.

i had the car for 4.5 months, it's got 9800 miles now. and i work from home so no commute and i have other cars too. but i can't stop driving it.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 PM
DAM
DAM is infamous around these parts
I'll take that 911 off your hands and you can have the keys to my 951.

It would be a toss up for me between e36 M and 951 for a track car

Old 08-31-2007, 05:46 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
this one looks pretty clean luis....

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Your Search Turned Up 1 Hits.
This Page Will Show You The Final Hit. 944 Spec Racer for Sale
Category:Porsche Race/Track CarsAd Number:1088Price:14,500.00Date Posted:08/09/2007Expires On:09/08/2007
FeaturesYear:1984Make:PorscheModel:944Miles:Engine:GasolineStereo:Body Style:2 doorTransmission:Manual 5 speedColor:WhiteDrivetrain:2 Wheel Drive

Description
I'm selling a fully prepared 944 Spec Racer. The car was completely built from the gound up the compete in the growing 944 Spec racing series. The car is POC/PCA/NASA legal.

Everything that could be replaced and upgraded has been. No expense spared. Price includes two sets of TOYO spec tires mounted on cookie cutters.
One set is shaved still shows the stickers, the other is unshaved and has minimal time on them.

Here's a link for more details and pics www.944specracing.com

Seller InformationType of Seller:Private SellerCompany:
San Diego, CA 92111
Telephone:E-mail:nealwright@olstamp.com Web Site:http://944specracing.com

Old 09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
3arna is infamous around these parts
i've got a 2000 996 c2 track /street car for sale all the best upgrades all you have to do is chek the tire pressure's and go pm me if your are interested. 42,500

Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
What would I have to spend to get a fairly low cost track car... One that is street legal enough to drive up to the track... It needs to be something at least good enough for me to not miss my 997S that much if I sell it, but cheap enough to justify selling my 997S...

If you want a real track car then the choices above are great , but why not just sell the Gallardo .
Add a full trick suspension to the 997 .
Get Supercharger kit , exhaust system , plenum
and buy the Ferrari .

The Porsche will be faster than your other cars and handle better for the ocasional track days you want to enjoy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does a low cost track car cost?