Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Test drive....first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Hiper is infamous around these parts
GT3 Test drive....first impressions

I test drove a friend's 2007 GT3 yesterday, and although I had pretty much made up my mind on getting a GT3 before the test drive, I think I am having second thoughts now

I've been reading about the car everywhere, and have always been under the impression that the car is very fast.....not 997TT fast, but close enough, especially after seeing so many 6speeders, owning several other supercars that are as fast or even faster than the GT3, considering the GT3 as wicked fast!

After driving the car yesterday, I seriously felt that this car is underpowered! Now I know that it might sound like a bit of an exagerration to say that the GT3 is "underpowered", but it did feel so IMO. The regular Porsche Turbo (and non-turbo) "lag" that occurs at initial WOT still exists here, although you'd only expect it on a Turbo and not a naturally aspirated engine such as the GT3. At higher RPMs the car is fine, but at lower speeds it felt a bit weak.

Now from past experience and ownership, can someone please help me out as to what exactly can be done to improve the feel and power on this car? I really love it and still want one, but only if I can seriously do some minor bolt on modifications that can dramatically increase power. Keep in mind that I will also be tracking the car every once in a while.

Thanks guys

Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
ToddPhilly is infamous around these parts
Hmmm. I wonder if it was the variable valve timing that made it feel like a lag at initial WOT??? I know the torque curve for the motor in the GT3 isn't very linear at low rpm. Why not go for the new GT2 ?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
Hiper, there are a few factors at play that may give the impression of it being slower than other supercars:

1. The gearing is frustrating for street driving and reduces the impact of the acceleration. The gears are so tall that 2nd goes beyond 125km/h and third is well beyond 175km/h. This frustration should turn into elation once on the track as my short geared twin turbo was always between gears on most tracks I visited.

2. The powerband is way up top, from 5,000rpm and above. It astonishes me that Porsche was able to produce as much torque below 5k that the engine does, given the storming top end push and small motor capacity. Think about what it takes for Ferrari, GM, Lambo, etc. to produce 415hp.

3. Having come from a turbo, it takes time to get used to pushing the engine up to 8,000rpm+. I still find myself short-shifting at a mere 6,500 There is a surge at 5k rpm and another at 7.5k rpm that just pulls like a train.

4. The car is so stable, the acceleration feels easy to manage. There is no doubt this is a fast car, anything that does 115+mph in the 1/4 mile is a quick car, but many times I've looked down at the speedo in shock at the speeds I was up to without even realizing it. I think the tall gears also play into this impression, the car just shouldn't be going that fast in 3rd gear.

5. The engine may not be broken in yet. There is a huge difference in my car from when I picked it up to now (1,500km) and I hope the progress continues. The engine is loosening up and the gearbox is getting much better.

All in all, this is not a torque motor so you can't expect twin turbo torque, but I'm impressed with the low rpm pull around the city and I feel almost guilty indulging in the second half of the rev band from time to time.

Like most tall geared cars, it's 3rd and 4th gear that become monumental where you can destroy a ribbon of ashpalt with those two devestating gears. Cruise down the highway in 3rd gear at 4,500rpm and nail it; that's when the GT3 comes into its own.

The acceleration, richness of sound and sheer excitement represent a car that should cost much, much more. As you can tell, I'm very happy with this car and my concern of a lack of torque coming from a turbo has been a non-issue.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
VVT gives you that feeling of Turbo Lag. My NSX has it in a bad way.

BTW, Based on you experience I think you would be happier in a GT2 or a TT. It seems that you prefer the sensation of TQ to the peformance of HP.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fcracer
Hiper, there are a few factors at play that may give the impression of it being slower than other supercars:

1. The gearing is frustrating for street driving and reduces the impact of the acceleration. The gears are so tall that 2nd goes beyond 125km/h and third is well beyond 175km/h. This frustration should turn into elation once on the track as my short geared twin turbo was always between gears on most tracks I visited.

2. The powerband is way up top, from 5,000rpm and above. It astonishes me that Porsche was able to produce as much torque below 5k that the engine does, given the storming top end push and small motor capacity. Think about what it takes for Ferrari, GM, Lambo, etc. to produce 415hp.

3. Having come from a turbo, it takes time to get used to pushing the engine up to 8,000rpm+. I still find myself short-shifting at a mere 6,500 There is a surge at 5k rpm and another at 7.5k rpm that just pulls like a train.

4. The car is so stable, the acceleration feels easy to manage. There is no doubt this is a fast car, anything that does 115+mph in the 1/4 mile is a quick car, but many times I've looked down at the speedo in shock at the speeds I was up to without even realizing it. I think the tall gears also play into this impression, the car just shouldn't be going that fast in 3rd gear.

5. The engine may not be broken in yet. There is a huge difference in my car from when I picked it up to now (1,500km) and I hope the progress continues. The engine is loosening up and the gearbox is getting much better.

All in all, this is not a torque motor so you can't expect twin turbo torque, but I'm impressed with the low rpm pull around the city and I feel almost guilty indulging in the second half of the rev band from time to time.

Like most tall geared cars, it's 3rd and 4th gear that become monumental where you can destroy a ribbon of ashpalt with those two devestating gears. Cruise down the highway in 3rd gear at 4,500rpm and nail it; that's when the GT3 comes into its own.

The acceleration, richness of sound and sheer excitement represent a car that should cost much, much more. As you can tell, I'm very happy with this car and my concern of a lack of torque coming from a turbo has been a non-issue.

You pretty much covered it all. I also had to relearn how to drive this car coming from the GT2. Make sure the car is broken in and rev it like there's no tomorrow. You 'll learn to love it.

Last edited by vincentdds; 09-05-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
SrfCity is infamous around these parts
Good description there fcracer. And Hiper, I'd suggest you not get one

Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by ToddPhilly
Hmmm. I wonder if it was the variable valve timing that made it feel like a lag at initial WOT??? I know the torque curve for the motor in the GT3 isn't very linear at low rpm. Why not go for the new GT2 ?
ToddPhilly, I agree with you...The car's torque changed dramatically above 4,000RPM, and especiallly so above 5,500! I think I'd probably have a different opinion if i'd driven the car on a highway for a bit longer...

And as for the GT2...who knows, I'll be going to the Frankfurt Motor Show on the 10th and will hopefully see the car on the 11th After seeing the pics of the white one posted on here somewhere, I think it makes it easier to decide

Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
I just got an '07 GT3, and agree 100% with fcracer.

I knew-before my first drive-that it would be a different experience. My first (short) drive confirmed what you felt....keeping revs low (new car), it felt totally gutless compared to my 996 TT ( get it moving, dump it into 2nd gear, let torque take over !).

Now that I've driven it many times--and as Vincent said, re-learned how to drive--it is incredible. Sound, handling, braking, shifting (as well as build quality and interior) are all superior to my 996 TT. You just have to drive it differently....keep it 4-8k vs. 2.5-5.5k in the Turbo. I was also surprised at how close the power really is....I still think my Turbo is faster, but driving them back-to-back wasn't as far off as I thought they were.

Bill

Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by fcracer

Thanks for the info fcracer! Very informative and useful

I agree with you on everything you said. The car felt much faster above 5,000RPM and was very stable! 3rd and 4th gear are the monster gears in this car, although I was not able to get it above 110mph As for the tall gears, I've owned a couple of tall geared cars in the past (6 speed gallardo and Viper GTS), and they felt much faster and powerful off the line, were torque kicked in around 2500RPM or so and not as much at 5000RPM.

Thanks again for the info buddy

Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ritesh
VVT gives you that feeling of Turbo Lag. My NSX has it in a bad way.

BTW, Based on you experience I think you would be happier in a GT2 or a TT. It seems that you prefer the sensation of TQ to the peformance of HP.
Ritesh, I thought about a GT2, but the GT3 is about 1/2 the price, as much fun probably, but slightly slower which we all know. I tend to flip my cars within a short period, and I really don't want to take a big drop in residual value after 1 year on the GT2, since I think the GT3 will hold its value more.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by SrfCity
Good description there fcracer. And Hiper, I'd suggest you not get one
why not?! I still love the car, just need advice on more power!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Once broken-in, most will soon realized that it's the combination of superb handling,throttle response, grips and braking that makes this car very fast on the streets and tracks..After 1500 miles this car will make you happy.

Last edited by vincentdds; 09-05-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
toddbee is infamous around these parts
there is a big difference in power after it is broken in. it seems alot quicker and seems to rev up faster

Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
zicoramone is infamous around these parts
I think both ToddPhilly and Ritesh are absolutely right. You are obviously a GT2 or TT driver. What you have described on your post it's the exact speech of the turbospeed guys. That's ok, we all have different tastes. For me there is nothing better than a GT3/RS package. For you, however, I'm afraid you only be satisfied with a turbocharged Porsche. So, go after a 997 GT2 and you will be happy. Very.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
simple answer - buy a GT2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive....first impressions