Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Black dirt/haze on GT3 Rear Bumper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Black dirt/haze on GT3 Rear Bumper?

I get a layer of black haze on my back bumper that covers the whole bumper after about 200 miles of driving.
My car is white so it shows pretty easily but it seems odd.
I was thinking either it's running rich, burning oil (oil level hasn't changed in 1000 miles) or maybe tire residue from these soft compound tires.
Anyone else with a 997 GT3 notice this.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
hahaha i got the same thing. It just means your actually driving it!

Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Jim Bacus is infamous around these parts
Yes, I get it too... I think it's brake dust.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:00 PM
John Velasco is infamous around these parts
it's just dust!

jv

Old 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bruce
I get a layer of black haze on my back bumper that covers the whole bumper after about 200 miles of driving.
My car is white so it shows pretty easily but it seems odd.
I was thinking either it's running rich, burning oil (oil level hasn't changed in 1000 miles) or maybe tire residue from these soft compound tires.
Anyone else with a 997 GT3 notice this.
Don't be alarmed. It's a combination of exhaust residue and road grimme. What should be of concern if there isn't a good wax on it protecting it from that abuse. After your next wash, spray some detail spray on the bumper. Put on a ziploc sandwich bag and rub the area you've sprayed. If you feel anything, it needs to be clayed, polished, and waxed. Over time, all the impurities start to damage the paint. This can also be seen if you look closely on the bumper. The orange specs are the impurities I'm talking about. Once the bumper is polished and waxed, you'll notice it doesn't get as dirty and cleanup is a cinch.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 PM
rich_daystrom is infamous around these parts
I get the black dust layer on my white GT3 and also to a much lesser degree on my yellow C2S Cabrio.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I would gladly tell you what I think it is, I need a ride first though :P jk

Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Thanks for the input. I keep it clean and waxed so I'm good but it seemed strange, the TT doesn't do it. I guess the aerodynamics suck the exhaust back.

Ruf GT2, I know i owe you a ride. I'm still breaking it in which is taking too long with my traveling and surgery but not to worry.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 AM
SrfCity is infamous around these parts
It could also be the tires chewing away before your eyes

Old 09-09-2007, 02:24 PM
John Velasco is infamous around these parts
You know I thought about that! I just want to live in my "Tires aren't going away at 3500 miles" fantasy a little while longer!

jv

Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
Just the sign of tell tale happiness...it means your GT3 is being enjoyed. It shoudl cause no problems so long as you wash regulary and have it waxed. Do not try to wipe the residue away without washing though. That will scratch the paint with all the dirt/brake, and exhaust soot particles. Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bruce
Thanks for the input. I keep it clean and waxed so I'm good but it seemed strange, the TT doesn't do it. I guess the aerodynamics suck the exhaust back.

Ruf GT2, I know i owe you a ride. I'm still breaking it in which is taking too long with my traveling and surgery but not to worry.
LOL was just messing around, hope all is well, give me a shout whenever!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by TCM
Just the sign of tell tale happiness...it means your GT3 is being enjoyed. It shoudl cause no problems so long as you wash regulary and have it waxed. Do not try to wipe the residue away without washing though. That will scratch the paint with all the dirt/brake, and exhaust soot particles. Hope this helps.

Yes it does, thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
LOL was just messing around, hope all is well, give me a shout whenever!
It's not much fun below 4200 so in a few weeks or so we'll do it.