Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Turbo V RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:13 AM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
lol speaking of which... i saw a 997TT spung out, hit the guardrail and took out the front bumper a couple of weeks ago at Watkins Glen...

Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I like the banter. That's what the forums are all about. RS vs TT for you Turbo4ever I can only say I think you have made up your mind and TT is your best bet. I happen to have them all the 964 Old guy talks about, The 600hp TT, The GT3 RS and the GT3 Cup and when I go to the garage to run and errand, pickup my son from school drive to my office. Hands down, no questions asked I grab the keys to the GT3 RS 8 of 10 times. Might be less if the cops allowed my Cup on the street. And ihatepotholes I also know someone than bundled up their TT on the track.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
O G,
I'm trying hard to take this banter with a grain of salt. The original thread was RS vsTT, I gave my input as a turbo owner. you take banter as a dis, that's always a problem online. it's also easy to make erroneous assumptions.
lastly, to be clear am I not allowed to post a dissenting opinion on the GT3 board? that's hardly in the spirit of 6 speed' let alone Texas don't you think?
fwiw I'm an old guy too, my racing license expired a long' long time ago.
peace out.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 09-16-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
TT-Gasman - ignore the assumptions. Make yourself feel better and put someone to sleep.

The OP was not about which one was better but which one would suit the OP's daily driving situation the best. Many have determined even the GT3 owners that the TT would suit the OP much better than a GT3. We ALL drive porsches and we purchased them for the reasons that suit us the best. Some track, some street and some do both. Some are fortunate enough to have both and then some and some of us just have one or the other which in itself we are very fortunate. So lets enjoy these cars on the street or the track but in here "STOP THE *****IN"

BTW - just a curious question for the GT3 guys. I want to stir up something.

If my TT ran the same time as your GT3 on the same track on the same day and ran it everytime you ran your GT3. Would it make the GT3 a better track car? Because in the end it's about the lap times is it not? I know that you have better power band usage, suspension and feel BUT if the times were the same isn't that all that really matters?

Forget the "Ring" since it caters to the TT's power on the straights. Obviously the 997 GT2 seems like a 2WD Turbo with the GT3RS suspension so we can't count that as a step up TT. It would appear it would be more of a Turbo GT3-RS.

As the "Mini" clubs says - HAPPY MOTORING...

Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
You can lap for 3 hours in a GT3 and not know it. The times with TT's are typically done with PRO drivers. These guys can muscle anything around. The lack of headaches and ease of use are what make the GT3's a better car. They weigh less and feel like 1/2 the car. As with all tracks there is a straight-o-way and this is where all TT's accel. I live in the NW with a small bad track but when a TT can hit 155-160 in our straight and either of my track cars can't get near that. My little RS America will only go about 140-145 max in straight but it will catch up for the rest of the track. Nimbleness and Quickness thats all. I really like my TT so don't get me wrong. I just don't grab the keys anymore because it's not near as fun to drive. Yes you are correct about the GT2 and I don't think there are really more than about 100 drivers in the world that should track that 2 wheel Push 525 hp 3000lb rocket ship the correct way. Patrick Wong (RS Spyder driver ALMS) drove one at Miller Motorsports this past year, got out of the GT2 and questioned the Porsche Factory guys standing next to him. "They sell this thing to the general public? Wow that's going to cause some serious problems"

Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
H20SKIER - I agree with you on many accounts. Sometimes I think things get heated up over minor things but its always nice to read the banter.

The RS Spyder is coming October 8th at Hennesey Porsche in Roswell, GA. I plan on attending. I want some pictures and autographs That RS Spyder is a beauty!!

Can I get one of them?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Did you put your deposit in for one. The RS Spyder that is. Hopefully you did that would be cool in the garage. Those cars are cool they are in the paddock at all of my races and they are just awesome. Watching them practice at Sebring in March was insane. Audi's are ok as well.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
No deposit - I would love to have one - but that would be a WEE stretch.

I am excited to get close to one and shoot some photo's and meet the driver(s)..

Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RS 197
?????? You compare a C2S to a GT3. You might as well compare it to a Mazda MX 6. It has more in common.

Do me a favor and do a little research on a GT3. They are far superior in every way shape and form. They share very little with the C2S.

Please don't ever compare the two again. They have nothing in common, all the C2S is good for is sales volume. Porsche sells enough of them so they can build a few real cars for the few who understand......

The Turbo is a totally unique being. You have to love the lag and the snap and the all wheel drive. They are in a class by themselves. I would like to be in that class some day.....But still no comparison to a GT3....For me...

Don't feel bad. I bought the first 997S in Oregon. I had to be educated also. When you figure it out, you will be a GT3 owner. Let me know when you make the switch. I will send you a free coupon for a front lip spoiler. Running it into things and smashing it on a high speed bump is all part of the enjoyment...

Joe,

As much as I admit your Porsche collections, this has to be the stupidest comment I have ever read on any forum. Some people just put way too much praise on a GT3 that they become blind. I say it again. For regular city driving a GT3 is no better than my C2S X51 at all. I have no desire to own a GT3 and don't need any coupon from you.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
As much as I hate to admit it Targa Tim is correct. Yes His C2S is the same from Stop light to stop light in town getting ice cream for the kids as all GT3's, TT's, Carrera GT's, Cayman's, and Boxsters. Yes it will corner just like a Dodge Caravan from a standing stop going left and right. BUT, this might be a little controversial, DON'T WE BUY PORSCHES FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN THAT? I think Joe is correct you can't compare the two. I'm not blind and I like all Porsches. Accelaration, Cornering, Stopping, all are really good reasons to buy Porsches and GT3's do all of it better. I'll get Ice Cream for the kids in my pickup truck and drive my 911 the way Porsche wants me to.
Joe send me the Coupon for the Splitter. I go thru 10 a year on my Cup Car.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
As much as I hate to admit it Targa Tim is correct. Yes His C2S is the same from Stop light to stop light in town getting ice cream for the kids as all GT3's, TT's, Carrera GT's, Cayman's, and Boxsters. Yes it will corner just like a Dodge Caravan from a standing stop going left and right. BUT, this might be a little controversial, DON'T WE BUY PORSCHES FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN THAT? I think Joe is correct you can't compare the two. I'm not blind and I like all Porsches. Accelaration, Cornering, Stopping, all are really good reasons to buy Porsches and GT3's do all of it better. I'll get Ice Cream for the kids in my pickup truck and drive my 911 the way Porsche wants me to.
Joe send me the Coupon for the Splitter. I go thru 10 a year on my Cup Car.
I always said that the GT3 is the King of the Track (read my first post). But if someone is just driving a C2S or any other Porsches, then they have to be compared to a Dodge or Mazda? I hope this kind of arrogant ideas does not apply to all GT3 owners.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 PM
RS 197 is infamous around these partsRS 197 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I always said that the GT3 is the King of the Track (read my first post). But if someone is just driving a C2S or any other Porsches, then they have to be compared to a Dodge or Mazda? I hope this kind of arrogant ideas does not apply to all GT3 owners.
Tim.

I am not trying to be rude. I am only stating what only a few Porsche owners understand.

A 997S X50 is a production based Porsche.

It will do great things on the street. It looks really cool and It will go plenty fast....

I would like to ask you the same question that was asked of me while I was driving my 997S.

Do you have any idea the differences between the two cars. If so could you please post for them for us.

If not you have no business posting what you did.....

I am anxiously awaiting your reply....

Good day.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by RS 197
Tim.

I am not trying to be rude. I am only stating what only a few Porsche owners understand.

A 997S X50 is a production based Porsche.

It will do great things on the street. It looks really cool and It will go plenty fast....

I would like to ask you the same question that was asked of me while I was driving my 997S.

Do you have any idea the differences between the two cars. If so could you please post for them for us.

If not you have no business posting what you did.....

I am anxiously awaiting your reply....

Good day.
Joe,

I am well aware of the major differences between the two cars. I am well aware that the GT3 has a true dry sump system, more durable engine derived from GT1 race car, and more superior suspension setup (mainly for track use). I have concluded that GT3 and RS are King of the Track.

I have also concluded that in street use it has absolutely no advantage over my 997S. I don't need the superior cornering ability of it with city driving.

I have never ever said one thing that is bad against GT3, but you guys have to realise that not everyone NEEDS or WANTS a GT3. Period.

What do you mean by I have no business posting what I did? This is a public forum. The original thread starter is looking for a car with no track intention. Tell me why he needs a GT3 over any other Porsches.

I have no dislike against you or other GT3 owners. I come to the forum for fun. Good day to you too.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
RS 197 is infamous around these partsRS 197 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Joe,

I am well aware of the major differences between the two cars. I am well aware that the GT3 has a true dry sump system, more durable engine derived from GT1 race car, and more superior suspension setup (mainly for track use). I have concluded that GT3 and RS are King of the Track.

I have also concluded that in street use it has absolutely no advantage over my 997S. I don't need the superior cornering ability of it with city driving.

I have never ever said one thing that is bad against GT3, but you guys have to realize that not everyone NEEDS or WANTS a GT3. Period.

What do you mean by I have no business posting what I did? This is a public forum. The original thread starter is looking for a car with no track intention. Tell me why he needs a GT3 over any other Porsches.
I would like to think the Posts on a Porsche GT forum would be accurate and correct. I was just making a point that the 997 X51 cars are very different cars that have nothing to do with a Turbo or a GT3, or this thread... You brought it up. You were the one that thinks the X51 is just as good for street use......

I have no dislike against you or other GT3 owners. I come to the forum for fun. Good day to you too.[/quote]

My first question is have you ever driven a GT3. If the answer is no, It is very hard for you to relate. They are so much different. Kinda like my 964 RS vs a 964. They feel so much different than the production cars it is amazing. They feel like an entirely different manufacture.

Don't make this too personal. It is not meant to be. You did not make the car, you just bought into the Production Porsche world. In the old day's Porsche owners did not have this problem. The 993 had the good stuff. The 993 Cup cars had the same block, very similar gear box, brakes etc. things have changed................

The 996 and 997 based cars are a totally different cars. They are way cheaper to build. That is why Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer in the world. There is no way they could afford to make 20,000+ cars with GT3 power plants and gear boxes. That being said...

Why would anyone that understands the superiority of the GT3 spend almost the same amount of $$ for a 997S X51. I can only see two reasons. #1 you don't care that the 997S has a disposable engine and gearbox and inferior mechanics. #2 you were not properly informed when you bought the car. I was one of those that was not properly informed. As soon as I did the research I sold my 997S and bought a real Porsche. Almost the same money, way more car.

If all potential 997 owners would sit down read about the two cars. Drive both cars back to back. They would never buy the 997S ??? It makes absolutely no sense. The good thing for the GT3 world is they don't and Porsche salesman are trained to tell just the opposite. Long live the 997S X51 and all its customers. All it does is keep the GT3 in the production line....

Last edited by RS 197; 09-17-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Joe,

Nothing personal, but the original tone of your post was really bad.

I am well aware of most of the cars in the Porsche lineup and pick the one that suited my needs. As "inferior" an engine that a 997S may have, I don't really care much as I have no intention to drive it forever. The GT3 offers no rear seats which is really not an option to a few 911 buyers, me including. My 997S is already low for some city driving, a lower front spoiler to me is a disadvantage. As good as a GT3 can be, it is not a car for every 911 buyers. I will eventually upgrade to a 911 Turbo, but not a GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo V RS