Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Brand new GT3 wrecked - 300 miles on odometer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
It is hardly surprising that a car whose owners have high performance expectations gets wrecked often. Between here and Rennteam I have seen reports of no less than 6 wrecks on the track in 997Gt3's. It is not the most forgiving car.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
bobbrock is infamous around these parts
Like any high perfmance car - it limits are higher than most of their owners. You must show a little respect and self control even on the track or else...

I have had my 997GT3 for 2 months now and have not taken it to its limit. The limits seem to much further than they were in my modded 996TT.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Spidermonkey is infamous around these parts
According to the California Highway Patrol, the total number of accidents involving Aston Martins, Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Lotuses and Maseratis rose to 141 last year, an 81% increase from 2002, while overall crashes declined statewide during that period. Porsche, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, which sell a wider range of models, saw a 22% increase during that time frame.

..."
The trouble begins when overconfident drivers start trying to push the cars to speeds that even experienced drivers may not be capable of handling. "Generally speaking, the cars are well over the heads of the drivers,"

A spokeswoman for Leland-West Insurance Brokers says most of the supercar claims the company handles each year involve men aged 25 to 40 driving newer high-performance cars too fast and losing control.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
congrats on the new car byron, i didnt know you guys can drive fast enough to crash over there...
i havent seen you post for a while spidermonkey, hope you are enjoying the gt3, i remember reading that you put tons of miles on it. when are you back in LA?
back to the topic, when i first got out to the track i kept on losing the rear end at one turn at willow springs, the instructor kept on trying to tell me exactly how to take the turn but i could never get it right at max speeds. then i let him drive and he did the same thing. so i dont think anybody really has total control over these cars no matter how experienced.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Interestingly enough, the stats must show the very phenomenon of the Gt3's propensity for claims. My 997GT3 policy is 50% higher than my 997tt, even though the coverage is the same policy, same terms.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 PM
bobbrock is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Interestingly enough, the stats must show the very phenomenon of the Gt3's propensity for claims. My 997GT3 policy is 50% higher than my 997tt, even though the coverage is the same policy, same terms.
I replaced my CLS63 with the 997GT3 without any increase with Allstate.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
GonzoS is infamous around these parts
Good thing he had the blue painters tape to help with track damage !

Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
This just reminds me to keep PSM turned ON. When I was on the track in my buddies 996 without PSM, I lost control in the turn and oversteered, but luckily corrected by countersteering, and then quickly countersteered again to save my ***.

And that all took place within a few fractions of a second!

I agree with what many stated: respect the car... and when its a GT3, respect it even more!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spyder997s
This just reminds me to keep PSM turned ON. When I was on the track in my buddies 996 without PSM, I lost control in the turn and oversteered, but luckily corrected by countersteering, and then quickly countersteered again to save my ***.

And that all took place within a few fractions of a second!

I agree with what many stated: respect the car... and when its a GT3, respect it even more!
PSM will save a few drivers asses but not on the GT3/GT3 RS. We have a very limited traction control and that is it.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Damn...that means " to waste money "

Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
P97
P97 is infamous around these parts
The "Please Save Me (PSM)" is not available on the current 7GT3/RS. Not knowing how he wrecked it, we can't be sure that it would have helped anyways.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
That car will look like new after the body shop. I doubt that it got into the tub.

BTW Spidermonkey, what is your racing experience?

Last edited by seattle_sun; 09-18-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
We have a very limited traction control and that is it.
VERY limited is right. I manage to loose control of the car and into a spin with the traction control on. Luckily it was at an airfield.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
It amazes me how many "expert" drivers we have on this forum. The guy was at the track and no one here knows what caused the accident.

Give me a break

Christian

Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
ouch, that's gotta hurt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brand new GT3 wrecked - 300 miles on odometer