6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   GT3/GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-12/)
-   -   SharkWerks GT3/GT3RS Muffler Bypass Released (with videos) (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2/99373-sharkwerks-gt3-gt3rs-muffler-bypass-released-videos.html)

TRAKCAR 01-09-2009 12:29 PM

Alex,

This has probably come up before, but is there a way to take off those huge side mufflers? Do you sell somthing for that?

I think I read somewhere that it helps lower the oil temps and that the louder sound is border line acceptable, but still no drone.

I am hoping for just more, louder sharky noise ;-) but I do not know how much more noise, what it costs or if it maybe even be bad for performance. Does it take an additional +/- 30lbs off the back?

Daytonaviolet 01-09-2009 12:29 PM

so mooty, did you guys perfect the silencers for LS?

CarNerd 01-09-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 2207167)
Alex,

This has probably come up before, but is there a way to take off those huge side mufflers? Do you sell somthing for that?

I think I read somewhere that it helps lower the oil temps and that the louder sound is border line acceptable, but still no drone.

I am hoping for just more, louder sharky noise ;-) but I do not know how much more noise, what it costs or if it maybe even be bad for performance. Does it take an additional +/- 30lbs off the back?

From earlier in the post...

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2203729)
You're going to spend a lot of $ for very little gain (maybe 10-12hp?) and the other thing that you will notice is a lot of resonance/drone. Anytime you start messing with the side mufflers the GT3/RS and its lack of sound deadening is going to give you heach aches on a street car...

And i believe you get as much as 50# from removing the side mufflers.

CarNerd 01-09-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet (Post 2207168)

If you need one, BBi makes a turn down muffler that works. Remove the tips and it bolts right on.

hyeteck 01-09-2009 03:04 PM

wow!, sounds sweeeet!

sharkster 01-09-2009 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by hyeteck (Post 2207346)
wow!, sounds sweeeet!

Cheers very much hyetech!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 2207167)
Alex,

Colby is about right... you can take off about 44 pounds that way but then a couple of things happen... Mega (and I do mean MEGA) drone/resonance and then you're going to affect the back pressure and actually lose some power that way (torque). I think for an all out track car the loudness inside won't matter but because there's not a lot of sound deadening in these cars it's not going to be pleasant to drive on the street;( Hence I'd stick with the stock side mufflers....

TRAKCAR 01-09-2009 08:29 PM

Thanks Alex,

I know, you know what you are talking about, I am reminded every day as soon as the oil temp reaches about 200 hilarious

My only complaint is that you have not come up with a ring tone for my Blackberry yet :D

Louder great beautiful sound would be good, drone is very bad.. Been there done that.

Thanks for the head's up.

sharkster 01-09-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 2207755)
Thanks Alex,

I know, you know what you are talking about, I am reminded every day as soon as the oil temp reaches about 200 hilarious

My only complaint is that you have not come up with a ring tone for my Blackberry yet :D

Louder great beautiful sound would be good, drone is very bad.. Been there done that.

Thanks for the head's up.

My pleasure and I'll get Dan working on some iphone apps and ring tones haha... It's a slippery slope and we tried a whole bunch of different things until we settled on loud outside and liveable inside without loosing any power:P The side muffler, header/cat stuff can be so expensive. One thing that _might_ work which I've seen is the stock headers re-done with higher-flow cats but again we're not talking a lot of HP for the $ here:(

Guys we posted it on youtube as well since the streetfire servers aren't always up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8Fo8G9wI4

sharkster 01-09-2009 08:52 PM

That's a tough one eh? The stock car fails... I was talking to a Boxster RS60 owner who's bringing his car in next week and guess what? In totally stock form he was booted from Laguna too:mad:

mooty 01-09-2009 09:06 PM

no, it will not pass sound.
but the sound is so good, i decided to not drive LS anymore.

mooty 01-09-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2207055)
Hehe thanks Mooty and so glad you like it... Now this is your _last_ RS, correct;)?
http://videos.g33kd.net/turtle_post/P1060769.JPG
http://videos.g33kd.net/turtle_post/P1060798.JPG

what are you talking about?
i sold my RS.
that's tony's car.

TRAKCAR 01-09-2009 09:08 PM

I'll get Dan working on some iphone apps and ring tones haha...
I am not hip enough for an I Phone, make sure it works on my crackberry please.

Man, all those restrictions in CA, no such thing in Florida....

No emission tests either, we do not accept the global warming theory, but if it did exist we would welcome it since we spend too much $$ heating our pools from Dec till March hehe..

sharkster 01-09-2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 2207821)
no, it will not pass sound.

VICTORY... VICTORYhilarious I need to use that in the marketing... I hear you though, there are so many good tracks here that the sillyness with Laguna just kills it for me. We got Buttonwillow, Fernley, Thunderhill Sears Point etc... Laguna Seca? I can play it on my PS3!

sharkster 01-09-2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 2207823)
what are you talking about?
i sold my RS.
that's tony's car.

ROFL I thought it was JWGT2's car with him coming full-circle:cool:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 2207826)
I am not hip enough for an I Phone, make sure it works on my crackberry please.

Man, all those restrictions in CA, no such thing in Florida....

No emission tests either, we do not accept the global warming theory, but if it did exist we would welcome it since we spend too much $$ heating our pools from Dec till March hehe..

Crackberry is good but I hear you on the restrictions. It's really bad for the turbo guys;( Hey I drive a Hybrid to work to make up for a 3.8 800hp 996TT. Balance, right?

CarNerd 01-09-2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 2207821)

Whatever, you just bought another car that passes sound! hilarious