Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

e gear or Manual - Superleggera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
motorsportnick is infamous around these parts
e gear or Manual - Superleggera

A friend of mine is picking up a Superleggera and is trying to decide between manual & the e gear. He said he heard only good things about the e gear, but is worried about missing a true manual transmission. If anyone has experience with either that would be great, we could use the info. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Slowpoke is infamous around these parts
Manual, no doubt!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
LamboPete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by motorsportnick
A friend of mine is picking up a Superleggera and is trying to decide between manual & the e gear. He said he heard only good things about the e gear, but is worried about missing a true manual transmission. If anyone has experience with either that would be great, we could use the info. Thanks!
I have an egear G, and just love it. I have a P-car that is my daily driver, and it's manual, and I love that too. So, I am not bias toward one side or another.

Here is the thing with Superleggera. Standard tranny is Egear and the price reflects that. If you get the manual, than it's a no cost option on the car.

The problem in my book is that egear is a $10K option. If your friend go with manual, he will basically give up on that $10K that is already factored into the MSRP of the car. So, for me, if I was going to go with manual, I would not get the superleggera! Rather, just a regular coupe.

Too bad Lambo does not give buyer a $10K credit when you pick manual over egear.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 AM
GTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud of
From my experience,

E-Gear hands down.......

Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Manual, no doubt!
done and done.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
E-gear is flat out boring and prone to breaking/wearing out, especially if you ever launch the car.

A normal manual is much easier on clutches and requires much less frequent maintenance, and is much easier to drive in traffic. If your friend can drive, tell him to get a real gearbox.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
I thought the SG only came in Egear.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned
Hovik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jwa
I thought the SG only came in Egear.
6 speed is an option.

I'm usually with the "manual" crowd, but the e-gear on the SL is just awesome! Gotta drive one in sports mode to appreciate it

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hovik
Gotta drive one in sports mode to appreciate it
I did. It only half-sucks compared to the non-SL, but that's still 50% suck over the manual.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned
kinnsella is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Simba
E-gear is flat out boring and prone to breaking/wearing out, especially if you ever launch the car.

A normal manual is much easier on clutches and requires much less frequent maintenance, and is much easier to drive in traffic. If your friend can drive, tell him to get a real gearbox.
My local service department concours. The e gear is far less reliable and wears the clutch much faster.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
I've always been a big advocate for 6 speed's. But after driving an SL i'd reccomend an E-Gear.
The car is an absolute blast to drive with E-Gear.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff SD
I've always been a big advocate for 6 speed's. But after driving an SL i'd reccomend an E-Gear.
The car is an absolute blast to drive with E-Gear.
This is good to know. Spencer showed me the pictures he took of your car, man did you upgrade from the G or what?!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
So a few questions:

How responsive is the e-gear? One of the worries is, will you be down shifting or up shifting and have to "wait" for the car to engage the shift, or is it always at your command?

How boring is the e-gear to drive? I know not using a clutch like a manual might get boring after the initial e-gear fun wears off.

Also are there going to be any changes in 09' to the SL?

Thanks!

Last edited by motorsportnick; 01-02-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Lamb05Murcie is infamous around these parts
I personally will always pick manual over E-Gear any day of the week. I just never get tired of shifting/using the clutch. Weather it be in traffic or just cruising. Plus manuals are usually less expensive to maintain and parts don't wear out as fast as E-Gear.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned
Scuderia-f430 is infamous around these parts
E Gear is faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: e gear or Manual - Superleggera