Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Gallardo LP550 to be unveiled in Geneva

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Gallardo LP550 to be unveiled in Geneva

2008 Geneva Auto Show Preview: Lamborghini Gallardo LP550

Date posted: 02-12-2008
SANT'AGATA BOLOGNESE, Italy — Lamborghini will unveil a face-lifted version of its Gallardo, likely to be called LP550, at the upcoming Geneva show.

The LP550 will be powered by a 5.2-liter V10 with direct-injection technology. Applying some of the high-speed powertrain principles Audi has introduced in its latest RS4 model, the updated Gallardo's FSI power plant will produce 550 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque, making it 30 hp and 15 lb-ft stronger than its 5.0-liter predecessor.

The engine isn't the only piece of hardware to receive extensive modifications. Both the manual gearbox and the optional e-gear sequential transmission have been improved and are now capable of sending more power and torque to a lighter, more efficient permanent all-wheel-drive system. Upgraded brakes and a stiffer chassis help to harness the power and improve ride quality.

Designwise, the LP550's more aggressive character is emphasized with a deeply revised body kit, featuring completely restyled front and rear ends, whereas the cockpit remains largely untouched.

Lamborghini hasn't hinted yet at pricing, but with the current Gallardo fetching $182,000 in U.S. trim, expect the LP550 edition to easily top $200,000.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
esthete is infamous around these parts
they did a good job on the LP640. So hopefully they can continue the trend.
Any input on whether people think it is going to be faster than the superleggera?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by esthete
they did a good job on the LP640. So hopefully they can continue the trend.
Any input on whether people think it is going to be faster than the superleggera?
Hopefully the changes will be good ones! Besides what is in that press release, there's really no other news, they are very good at keeping all the new stuff a secret...

As far as being faster than the SL, it seems like it will be, more horsepower, more torque, direct injection.....

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Holy crap. I f*cking called this just after the LP640 came out - but I predicted an LP580. Can't wait!!!!

I assume it will be faster than the SL. If they do the exact same thing as they did with the 640, it would be great. Extend the lower bumper "lip", rework a little of the rear bumper and sideskirts, maybe change the tails...

I wonder if this will be the Gallardo replacement (LP640 to Murci), or just an added model. When is Geneva?
*Wiki says March 4-16. Wow, soon!

Last edited by WyattH; 02-13-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
Whatever happened to rumors of the RWD SV version of the Gallardo? Now would be a great time to introduce one, although with the power upgrade and reduced weight, I would imagine that it'd outrun not just the superleggera but perhaps even the LP640.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
esthete is infamous around these parts
Since the LP640 replaced the standard Murcielago, it would be a safe bet that this LP550 is going to replace the standard Gallardo.

a RWD SV version would still be amazing, but yeah, I now don't see that happening. While AWD is great in some regards, I just don't see it being able to give that true race/supercar feel like most of the other manufacturers seem to be able to create.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
That is bad new for those who recently got Superleggera's as that was the track oriented car from Lamborghini but due to the release of the LP it seems that they are twisting the coin now and could probably introduce a SV version of the LP550 when it is in its maturity stage.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I wonder how this will affect the prices of 04 - 08 G's?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
I wonder how this will affect the prices of 04 - 08 G's?
I would guess same thing that happened on 02-06 Murcis. Splash. I bet the the limited ones (SE, Nera, SL) will maintain decently, and newer models (Spyders until LP Roadster, 07 models, etc) will be okay.. But I expect 04-05 to go down substantially.

Just a guess

Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by WyattH
I would guess same thing that happened on 02-06 Murcis. Splash. I bet the the limited ones (SE, Nera, SL) will maintain decently, and newer models (Spyders until LP Roadster, 07 models, etc) will be okay.. But I expect 04-05 to go down substantially.

Just a guess
The "regular" 04-05 are already down and pretty low right now. The difference in price from an 04-05 to a new LP550 will be about $100K, which is more than most people that have an 04-05 will be able to handle or be willing to pay for a little (well alot) more horsepower... Kinda the same as when the LP640 came out... Not everyone with older Murci's can afford the big difference in price....

Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
^ Quite possibly the truth, but I think most people looking at a Gallardo in the first place will have already decided on a G versus an F-car.
When the LP comes out, the 06-08s will drop (because those owners may be interested in trading up). When these "flood" the market or at least find a price that makes it not "worthwhile" to upgrade, every model below it will subsequently drop as well.
You're right, 04-05 owners might not be interesting in an LP. But they would be interested in an 06-08 model. And 06-08 owners would be interested in an LP. So they will all drop until new equilibriums are reached.

Again, just guessing.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by WyattH
^ Quite possibly the truth, but I think most people looking at a Gallardo in the first place will have already decided on a G versus an F-car.
When the LP comes out, the 06-08s will drop (because those owners may be interested in trading up). When these "flood" the market or at least find a price that makes it not "worthwhile" to upgrade, every model below it will subsequently drop as well.
You're right, 04-05 owners might not be interesting in an LP. But they would be interested in an 06-08 model. And 06-08 owners would be interested in an LP. So they will all drop until new equilibriums are reached.

Again, just guessing.
Yep, that makes sense to me.... I guess my trade in value on my 2005 will be crap when it's time to get the LP... Maybe I should put it up for sale after spring and try to get rid of it before the LPs hit the streets... I will just be without a Lambo for the entire summer and then some (if it sells)...

Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
Yep, that makes sense to me.... I guess my trade in value on my 2005 will be crap when it's time to get the LP... Maybe I should put it up for sale after spring and try to get rid of it before the LPs hit the streets... I will just be without a Lambo for the entire summer and then some (if it sells)...
Financially, not a bad idea. And if you're waiting it out, you can invest the proceeds to make up part of the upgrade difference. Even if you don't want to fork up the difference for the LP, you can end up with an 06+, which IMO, is much nicer than 04-05s.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
infamousdru is infamous around these parts
very nice...when do they expect this lp replacement to drop???next 2 years?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Car_Collector is infamous around these parts
I can't wait to see what it looks like, but I still like the SL and always will.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gallardo LP550 to be unveiled in Geneva