Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

997 GT2 or NEW Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Simon Tibbett is infamous around these parts
The Porsche

Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ecks
If that result is stock TT to stock LP, then you are either pulling my leg or the LP (stick shift I assume) had a horrible driver. Don't get wrong,I know the TT is fast , but no way a stock TT can beat a stock E gear LP in a street roll. Just... No..
Here we go talking about driver skills, does the LP have to start from 1st gear and exactly 40mph with 70 degrees weather and down hill in order to beat this or that car? This seems like what most lambo topics end up. From my personal experience a LP640 will not walk away from a STOCK 997TT Tip from a roll up to 250km/h, after that I don't know because my radar started beeping. Just because the LP is 600 and some "lambo hp" doesn't mean it is faster than a 480 "Porsche hp" 997.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
LamboRick is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
996GT2 has around 470hp with 3,200lbs, and "normal" Gallardo has 500+hp with 3,300-3,400lb. I doubt the old Gcar would even see the 996GT2's taillights. And between the GT2 and LP560 I'd pick the GT2.
This may be my first post, but I've been reading this forum for 8 months as a guest, and you really may be exaggerating the power of the 996 GT2 because track times may say otherwise.

Next to the 500Bhp G, the GT2 has only beaten the G car at the Nordschliefe.
At Hockenheim Short, Vairano, & Sugo, the G is 1 second faster on every track. In a "drag race", though, you are correct that the G would be seeing the 996's taillights.

As for the fellow who said the 997 will run circles around the LP560-4, I find that a very broad statement to make, considering the fact that the LP has never been put around a track by a reliable source. You're fine to assume such things based on what's given, and past tests, but to say it'll run circles seems to be revealing a bit of bias (no offense) when no times show what the LP560-4 is capable of, esp. when it's now running improved R8-suspension, and other tech. than the old G.
I will also state that I do not consider owners' personal "drag races" on public roads or highways as a valid source.

You're free to have your opinions, and free to think what you want about mine, but I feel some under estimate the G & new LP too much.

Anyways, I'll respond later to any replies when I get home from my cousin's school.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LamboRick
This may be my first post, but I've been reading this forum for 8 months as a guest, and you really may be exaggerating the power of the 996 GT2 because track times may say otherwise.

Next to the 500Bhp G, the GT2 has only beaten the G car at the Nordschliefe.
At Hockenheim Short, Vairano, & Sugo, the G is 1 second faster on every track. In a "drag race", though, you are correct that the G would be seeing the 996's taillights.

As for the fellow who said the 997 will run circles around the LP560-4, I find that a very broad statement to make, considering the fact that the LP has never been put around a track by a reliable source. You're fine to assume such things based on what's given, and past tests, but to say it'll run circles seems to be revealing a bit of bias (no offense) when no times show what the LP560-4 is capable of, esp. when it's now running improved R8-suspension, and other tech. than the old G.
I will also state that I do not consider owners' personal "drag races" on public roads or highways as a valid source.

You're free to have your opinions, and free to think what you want about mine, but I feel some under estimate the G & new LP too much.

Anyways, I'll respond later to any replies when I get home from my cousin's school.
Welcome aboard! The reason why the GT2 does not post some good laps at some certain track is because it is extremely hard to control, which even the best of drivers have to pay full attention at all times. As for the G posting some good lap times is simply because its an AWD and just like the Porsche Turbos it is easier to control and thus may post a better lap time than cars like the GT2 or even Zonda, Enzo or CGTs. As for people underestimating the power of the LP560 is because the first gen Gcars did not show performance levels of a 500+hp super car. Sad to say even a 4000lb+ M5 or M6 with Honda like torque can easily pull away from a old gen Gcar tells a lot about the doubt in the Gcar's power. No offense to anyone or any car but this is just what I've noticed from personal experience.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
LamboRick is infamous around these parts
I realize the 996 GT2 is a tough car to control, but the Gallardo doesn't just set a faster lap because of that or having AWD, even though those do contribute. People have under-estimated the Gallardo so much, that they think it can't touch the Corvette Z06 or F430, even though it actually has exceeded above them on certain tracks.

I also understand how someone can under estimate the LP. However, I don't think it should be put to the point where you can automatically say, "The Porsche will run circles around it." I'm sure the Porsche will do very well as a competitor, but I don't think past tests with the Gallardo & the GT2 are enough to make such a statement, but that's just my thought.

I also understand in a straight line, Lamborghinis aren't exactly super. But, I'm getting the idea many folks on this site figure this out because they do their own little rolls on the street or highway. And, you guys are fine to do that yourself. It's just not my way of seeing that as a valid source for the Gallardo not being fast. No offense to anyone here, though, by that statement.

But I thank you for the warm welcome. A site like this is exactly what I like as an owner's insight on a car is usually more reliable than a bunch of guys talking as if a magazine or online website's report of how a car feels or how long it lasts means all models work that way. Not that there's anything wrong with talking with a bunch of non-exotic owners, and yes, that does sound a bit hypocritical since I do use magazine lap times in a comparison. Anyways, I will stop rambling here before folks get the wrong idea about me as a nut.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by LamboRick
I realize the 996 GT2 is a tough car to control, but the Gallardo doesn't just set a faster lap because of that or having AWD, even though those do contribute. People have under-estimated the Gallardo so much, that they think it can't touch the Corvette Z06 or F430, even though it actually has exceeded above them on certain tracks.

I also understand how someone can under estimate the LP. However, I don't think it should be put to the point where you can automatically say, "The Porsche will run circles around it." I'm sure the Porsche will do very well as a competitor, but I don't think past tests with the Gallardo & the GT2 are enough to make such a statement, but that's just my thought.

I also understand in a straight line, Lamborghinis aren't exactly super. But, I'm getting the idea many folks on this site figure this out because they do their own little rolls on the street or highway. And, you guys are fine to do that yourself. It's just not my way of seeing that as a valid source for the Gallardo not being fast. No offense to anyone here, though, by that statement.

But I thank you for the warm welcome. A site like this is exactly what I like as an owner's insight on a car is usually more reliable than a bunch of guys talking as if a magazine or online website's report of how a car feels or how long it lasts means all models work that way. Not that there's anything wrong with talking with a bunch of non-exotic owners, and yes, that does sound a bit hypocritical since I do use magazine lap times in a comparison. Anyways, I will stop rambling here before folks get the wrong idea about me as a nut.
Fully understand your opinion on the Gcar and appreciate your contribution. One more thing is, the reason why we do our own street or drag rolls is because we do not rely on the magazine to tell us which car is faster. Welcome again to this great community.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
+1 there is no arguing the regular G is slow for it's stated HP and weight. 118 trap tops wasnt it? Not trying to bash the G, but I've never been a lambo fan and they've never shown me anything from the people I know that have had them.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 AM
geeman14 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by robertp
Bring the Gallardo or GT2 but some Sat morning. We usually have several cars worthy of running with. Note, if you bring the Gallardo, you will be in the back of the pack!
Not if Wayne brings his TT Sypder.

BTW - I have several Lambos and a Porsche. The Porsche is a great car, but in SO CAL it is equivalent to driving a Civic. Everyone has a Porsche and in my opinion 5% of the people know the difference between a gt2, C4S, gt3, etc... I was out with my buddy in my G Spyder and his Porsche. His P car didn't get a second look compared to the G. So it depends on how you define experience. Having a special car that puts a smile on everyones face and performances damn well is a great feeling.

Again - I love P cars, but they are just not that special (except for the CGT) in my area. Yes - the GT2 does look like a monster...

G

Last edited by geeman14; 04-19-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
TimTim1983 is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I would definitely say the Lamborghini 560 !! It looks absolutely fantastic.. and the specs are pretty decent as well.. And yes the GT2 does have better handling, but when it comes to the style of this beast I would say it's hard to beat by far... I will be taking the Gallardo 560 around the track in 2009 with www.trackdays.co.uk .. will be the highlight of my year!

Has anybody here got an Audi R8?

Tim

Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
O.soderberg is infamous around these parts
Top Gear Lamborghini Gallardo Lp560-4 vs Porsche 911 GT2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahVEYKpuMM

Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Ferraridude is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by robertp
Not even close. The LP560 could not even keep up with my 996 TTS Cab.
Have you seen the new Top Gear? LP560 walks the GT2 in a straight line. The LP also keeps up very well with the GT2 on the track.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM
intence is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ferraridude
Have you seen the new Top Gear? LP560 walks the GT2 in a straight line. The LP also keeps up very well with the GT2 on the track.
lp560 beats it on the track...

Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
milligan740 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by O.soderberg
Top Gear Lamborghini Gallardo Lp560-4 vs Porsche 911 GT2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahVEYKpuMM
I loved that episode and I agree that the LP560 is better looking and performs just as well, if not better, than the GT2. I'd take the Lambo every single time. Just wait for the LP560 Superleggera!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
GreenwichM3 is infamous around these parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZSDkgTN0Gw

997 tt vs lp 560
i would assume the gt2 would be a close match considering this race. I don't think anyone is leaving anyone in the dust

Old 11-04-2008, 05:49 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
When they are this close, isn't it really a drivers' race. Anyhow, loved the TG episode. It was great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 or NEW Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4??