Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

In need of some information on Gallardos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
eLus is infamous around these parts
In need of some information on Gallardos

Hi Guys,
Planning to by a Gallardo now that my pcar is gone and I have some questions about the car itself. Doing a good amount of research before I start offering!

I am planning to buy a 2004 E-Gear Gallardo and are are a few questions that I have. Thanks in advance for any replies.

1) What are some common problems in 2004 that I should be watching out for, other than the premature clutch.

2) How is their maintainence?

3) What mile range should I watch out for. Currently i'm lookign for anything from 6k-15k miles. No higher for the time being.

4) I found a car with 34,500 miles and was thinking of throwing an offer at that. I could upgrade the engine to a TT when it does die. (probably not a good idea)

5) I've been told that the prices will drop within the next few months? If so, I have no problem waiting. Will be hard to do... but if it saves me 10 grand.. thats money I can reinvest to mod the car.

Thanks,

S

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
schred is infamous around these parts
elus,
I wish I could answer your quetions, but I also have the same questions as well. The clutch I hear is a big one and needs to have been serviced and updated before purchase. I have also read that there is an ECU upgrade for better shifting and throttle response as well. But back to the mileage question. I have been searching to find info about high mileage Gallardos and what kind of mileage they are good for. In the P car world, 50K miles is nothing to worry about, but I just do not see any G's with much more than 30 to 35K on the clock and wonder if these cars are ticking time bombs?
I wish some high mileage Gallardo owners would chime in and convince me that these cars will go 100K or more on the original engine??
Good luck in your hunt.
FS

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Rocket1324 is infamous around these parts
Well the car itself is a great car not many issues at all. The only issue was the early years had a clutch problem. The clutch would go in 5k miles. I had my mine replaced at 5800. miles. After replacing the clutch with an 2008 clutch the car is great.. It drives mint looks awesome. If interested I was thinking of selling mine.. Maintenance is not that much

Mine has Quick sliver exhaust, new clutch, k-40, 3M bra. 6800 miles, stock and maya rims, glass bonnet. 6 sp, all the options besides Navi.. Blue with ivory two tone interior --best offer

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
I know the 04 had clutch issues but they get taken care of with a prper update..
Engine wise these cars have proven to be pretty reliable.. I enjoyed my 07 and had relatively problem free ownership .. I am considering selling it if anyone is interested

Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Banned
Kevin2772 is infamous around these parts
I do know if you do the Heffner Twin Turbo upgrade they rebuild the whole engine and it comes with a 1 year warranty!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

To Rocket: I am currently looking only into an E-gear .

To HZ: 07 most likely is out of my budget at the moment. If I were to wait another 6-8 months, I could probably pick it up, but I dont know if i can do that! If I do and yours is still available, I will send you a PM.

To kevin: That is why i wanted to pick up a high mileage one and upgrade it but I am not sure of the reliability of a new TT engine. Do you have any firsthand experience with the durability of the heffner TT upgrade?

To schred: I am also a bit concerned about the life of gallardos because I have yet to see any with over 35k miles. Makes me think that the others have either died past this range or maybe no one has driven them that much? I have no idea, but a estimated number on the lifespan of a gallardo would be great... which is probably hard to do considering the many factors that come into play.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned
No, i have no experience, I just spend alot of time on lambopower.com. There are about 4 guys on that forum that have it done. On this forum, you could PM Don Relentless as he has a widebody turbo gallardo. They would be the best to go with. There are AMPLE posts on the kit on the other forum including full builds from heffner being documented.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
There is an owner of a green SE that posts on Lambo-Power. I think has 6K
miles on the car since the Hefner TT conversion, including some track time.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
luxeous is infamous around these parts
in my opinion the car is bulletproof with a 6 spd with any amount of mileage on it. Go 05 or newer and never look back!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
silk55 is infamous around these parts
I have gallardo. The newer clutch's 06+ are last longer then the 05 and 04's. If you do end up getting a Gallardo make sure to get the latest engine ECU and Egear ECU updates. When i first got my Gallardo 05 it was jerky but after the ECU updates the car shifts like a dream.

clutch wear can be easly seen via the lambo diagnostics.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by PCJR
There is an owner of a green SE that posts on Lambo-Power. I think has 6K
miles on the car since the Hefner TT conversion, including some track time.
I believe Gallardo TT #1 has like 20K on the turboed motor. A few of the guys over there put ALOT of miles on the turbo'ed engines.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
How is the driving for a 6 speed Gallardo? I found the Porsche to be very easy to drive and im hoping the Gallardo is the same or better? I might just go with a 6 speed ... found a cheap one with low miles!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
6 sp is great. I had a 6sp 911TT 550 HP which shifted really smooth. The Gallardo is not as smooth, but not as rough as my Viper. It is a really good ride.. The early year E-gears are not very smooth I heard. Over all the cars are ae nice, but I love a 6sp (tradtional sports car) feel. Good luck

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
Gallardo is great. We have had one in our rental fleet for about two years. Here are some pictures:
http://www.supercarrentalsinc.com/gallardo.html

The car has been great. You should make sure that you change the oil every 6 months, check it often because they occasionally burn it. We put about 8k miles on the clutch the car had when we got it. I replaced the clutch about 1k miles ago and it is great. It shifts differently than some newer cars but not badly. I like the car better with the egear than the 6 speed. The rear main seals are prone to leak, the air condition compressors go, those are the main problems. Ours has been relatively trouble free.

If you want to drive one for a little while before you drive, email me or send me a PM.

-Ed

Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes - the rear seal does go. I had it replaced with the clutch. Best time to do it --saves cash