Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

That was FAST...Bye Bye Canda Customers...sorry...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
That was FAST...Bye Bye Canda Customers...sorry...

So I knew it would happen, just did not think it would happen this fast.

A little time line for you all.

In 2002 I bought my New 2001 6.0 SE #19 from an Authorized Dealer in Salt Lake City, Utah...they are no longer in Business. After I got home with it to Seattle I found it needed some minor warranty work. The nearest Dealer at that time was San Fran. I researched and found a Lambo Dealer 90 miles north of me, Lamborghini Vancouver in Canada. I called to see if I could get the service completed up there. That is when I found this out...

Unlike everywhere else, Lamborghini of Canada is OWNED by an Importer. The Factory sells and deals with him/her direct and then he controls the 3 Authorized Dealers under him and his license. The three Dealers in Canada OR NOT a franchise of the factory. They could not work on my USA car warranty as they would not be re-imbursed for the work. Intresting...OK so I go to work and was able to get a writen authorization from Lamborghini North America to have the work done In Canada. (PS this is all prior to me becoming a licensed Dealer for used cars in USA myself).

So I start taking my car to Vancouver, GREAT PEOPLE, always happy with the work, lots of fun...fair and knowledgable..no issues what so ever. As a matter of fact they started working on several Washington State cars for my friends as well, since they let me in they had to let the rest. When Lamborghini Bellevue opened their doors here in Seattle a few years back we were advised that Vancouver could no longer service our cars as we now had an authorized Dealer close to us in the States...shame, because I relly liked them up there and their good work.

So move forward to July 24,2008...

Transport Canada amends their rules and allows 2002 to current year cars into Canda, with it's Goverment restrictions. (see attached #1) No problem...great news...well at least for Dealers like me...not for the Canadian side business..

I was able to get two cars into private hands last week, had the required work done by Authorized Dealer here in the States and aquired all necessary paperwork from them...thanks for that...yahooo for those guys.

Then yesterday 8-31-2008, Transport Canada revises their rules again...(see attached #2 FYI, this was posted by a Canadian Dealer Yesterday late on several boards and I verified this AM)..this is posted Basically everything stays the same, except now it requires ALL upgrade wwork, i.e. daytime running lights, recall letter etc etc...all minor things to be done by a CANADIAN AUTHORIZED DEALER. Effectively shuting down the import of Lambos again....

As of this AM. I have been advised by several USA Dealers that they have been informed by Lamborghini North America that they can NOT sell any NEW open MSO car's to Canada. They have also been advised that they are NOT to peform any upgrades to any cars to be imported to Canda NOR provide the recall letter...customers requesting this must be directed to the Canadian Dealers...they are to do the work...

OK, so when a Canadian Dealer is contacted...guess what the answer is?

YEP, "Sorry we do not perfrom service on USA cars, warranty or any other type"

See this 360 degree circle...

So guys, in Canada, I am sorry it appears you will be back to the old 15 year rule...it was nice while it lasted.

Great business way to protect your market area....got to give them that.

ITEM #1 PDF file

ITEM #2
caution!?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be particularly careful in importing a car in such that I wouldn't make payment until the vehicle is actually registered in Canada. I note that in the RIV Canada site under Lamborghini that it clearly states:

See explanations section.
Note 1: Please be informed that
Lamborghini Canada requires that all
importers contact Lamborghini Canada to
determine the exact nature and costs of
modifications. The modifications vary by
year and model and may be expensive.
All modifications must be performed and
documented by an authorized Canadian
Lamborghini retailer and must be
completed before a recall clearance letter
can be issued by Lamborghini Canada.
Please submit all inquires in writing to:
compliance@lamborghini.ca
Attached Images20080801085927737.pdf (134.6 KB, 0 views)

WWW.CATSEXOTICS.COM

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
icedragon is infamous around these parts
Please be informed that
Lamborghini Canada requires that all
importers contact Lamborghini Canada to
determine the exact nature and costs of
modifications. The modifications vary by
year and model and may be expensive.
All modifications must be performed and
documented by an authorized Canadian
Lamborghini retailer and must be
completed before a recall clearance letter
can be issued by Lamborghini Canada.
So Canadians may purchase a newer Lamborghini from the U.S. but upon entering Canada, they must visit a Canadian Lambo dealer to have compliance work performed?
It doesn't seem too complicated. Or did I read the document incorrectly?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
If Lambo North America is telling its U.S. dealers to refrain from selling new cars to Canadian shoppers, this breaches the NAFTA agreement.

Currently, BMW is telling its U.S. dealers to refrain from selling new cars to Canadian shoppers. A group of Canadians is taking BMW to court over this breach of NAFTA.

The Tranport Canada document says that Canadian need to go to a Canadian Lambo dealer to have the compliance work completed. But if the Canadian dealers refuse to work on U.S. cars, then doesn't this act against the Transport Canada guidelines?

Lamborghini Canada is deliberately breaching rules and creating confusion to discourage Canadians from saving on their Lamborghini purchase.

Last edited by icedragon; 08-01-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by icedragon
So Canadians may purchase a newer Lamborghini from the U.S. but upon entering Canada, they must visit a Canadian Lambo dealer to have compliance work performed?
It doesn't seem too complicated. Or did I read the document incorrectly?
No you read it correctyly...NOW FIND an Authorized Lamborghini Dealer in Canada THAT WILL do the work...?

Let me know if you do...

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor
If Lambo North America is telling its U.S. dealers to refrain from selling new cars to Canadian shoppers, this breaches the NAFTA agreement.

Currently, BMW is telling its U.S. dealers to refrain from selling new cars to Canadian shoppers. A group of Canadians is taking BMW to court over this breach of NAFTA.

The Tranport Canada document says that Canadian need to go to a Canadian Lambo dealer to have the compliance work completed. But if the Canadian dealers refuse to work on U.S. cars, then doesn't this act against the Transport Canada guidelines?

Lamborghini Canada is deliberately breaching rules and creating confusion to discourage Canadians from saving a minimum of $100,000 on their Lamborghini purchase.
They will losse on the NAFTA...this has been tried already and ONLY EFFECTS products Produced in Canada, USA or Mexico..which Lambo is not...

Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by roytoy2003
No you read it correctyly...NOW FIND an Authorized Lamborghini Dealer in Canada THAT WILL do the work...?

Let me know if you do...
This is confusing. So Lambo Canada told Transport Canada that it will allow customers to import US Lambos as long as upon entry, customers bring their cars to a Canadian dealer for compliance work. But then, Lambo Canada tell its dealers to refrain from working on US Lambos. In essence, Lambo Canada is fooling Transport Canada and someone should notify that department.

Originally Posted by roytoy2003
They will losse on the NAFTA...this has been tried already and ONLY EFFECTS products Produced in Canada, USA or Mexico..which Lambo is not...
They may have a case on BMW made in the US, such as the X3, X5, Z4, but I see what you mean.

In any case, thanks for all the info. My Canadian cousin was thinking of buy a U.S. Gallardo. Perhaps now he'll have to buy ... a Ferrari? Ferrari seems to allow customers to freely cross-border shop.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
This is confusing. So Lambo Canada told Transport Canada that it will allow customers to import US Lambos as long as upon entry, customers bring their cars to a Canadian dealer for compliance work. But then, Lambo Canada tell its dealers to refrain from working on US Lambos. In essence, Lambo Canada is fooling Transport Canada and someone should notify that department.

They may have a case on BMW made in the US, such as the X3, X5, Z4, but I see what you mean.

In any case, thanks for all the info. My Canadian cousin was thinking of buy a U.S. Gallardo. Perhaps now he'll have to buy ... a Ferrari? Ferrari seems to allow customers to freely cross-border shop.

Yes, Ferrari does with the same restrictions as listed with Lamborghini..

The last Ferrari we sent accross sat at the "Authorized" Dealer in Canada for 3 weeks and cost close to $5K for them to do the "minor" work to it...they will do it, but it is obvious they make it as difficult and as exspensive as possible to deter customers from bringing them across.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:21 AM
alfredo is infamous around these parts
After enjoying the plummeting prices of exotic cars in the US, it's so disappointing to learn that I cannot import to Canada! Do these regulations still stand? Despite their attempts to make the required modifications expensive, how much would they likely cost?