Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

22k miles of ownership experience in a Gallardo - Buyers Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
22k miles of ownership experience in a Gallardo - Buyers Guide

We have had our 04 Gallardo for about 40 months now and driven it over 22,000 miles. We wanted to compile our thoughts and experiences into a buyers guide since we never found a good one when we bought ours.

I am publishing the 12 page guide in 5-6 parts on the blog here:

http://supercarrentalsinc.com/news-blog/

The last post will break down the cost per mile that we have experienced. Any guesses?

Please comment on the posts about your own ownership/driving experiences to make this more valuable for people who access it in the future.

EDIT: The complete Lamborghini Gallardo Buyers Guide is now posted here:
http://supercarrentalsinc.com/the-co...-buyers-guide/

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by MrEdS4; 11-23-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
interesting

I found this part most interesting:

Lots of people want to put aftermarket wheels on these cars. My advice is not to do it. If you can use the same tires, it is fine. If you go bigger or wider you will have problems. The differentials will wear out, the clutch will wear quickly, the traction control will not work correctly, and the car will not handle properly. If you want a different look then paint the wheels or get a set off of a newer car.

My 04G came with Avus wheels (19 front, 20 rear) with wider tires. I also have the stock wheels (perfect condition with new tires)...should I put the stock wheels back on?

Can others chime in PLEASE?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
dealer says if the rolling diameter of the aftermarket wheels are the same as stock, i'm in good shape. i'll have to measure it tonight

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
If the external rolling diameter is correct you are in better shape. The car will probably drive much better with the stock wheels but yours do look good. It is always a trade-off.

The all wheel drive systems on these cars are very sensitive and the car does use the clutch to compensate for wheel slippage. The last thing you want is for the car to constantly be slipping the clutch because it thinks you are sliding.

How often are you seeing traction control lights? That is a good indicator (although inconclusive) of how the wheels are doing.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
i have yet to see the traction lights...even if i push the car...that sounds comforting~

Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
silk55 is infamous around these parts
i also note that late model 04 gallardo's did have a option for the glass bonnet. i would also recommend new 04 owners get the latest EGEAR software upgrade since it vastly improves shifting

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by silk55
i also note that late model 04 gallardo's did have a option for the glass bonnet. i would also recommend new 04 owners get the latest EGEAR software upgrade since it vastly improves shifting
You are right about that. I corrected it on the page. Thanks for the help. The software updates are good too.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the write up. It was perfect timing for me.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by SFdreamer
Thanks for the write up. It was perfect timing for me.
Stay tuned and feel free to ask questions here or on my site. They will help everyone else who is looking for one.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM
sam
sam is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrEdS4
The last post will break down the cost per mile that we have experienced. Any guesses?
How many miles out of the 22K were personal? That'll influence my guess.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
If the external rolling diameter is correct you are in better shape. The car will probably drive much better with the stock wheels but yours do look good. It is always a trade-off.

The all wheel drive systems on these cars are very sensitive and the car does use the clutch to compensate for wheel slippage. The last thing you want is for the car to constantly be slipping the clutch because it thinks you are sliding.

How often are you seeing traction control lights? That is a good indicator (although inconclusive) of how the wheels are doing.

I measured the diameters of front/back and they were the same as stock....phew

Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by sam
How many miles out of the 22K were personal? That'll influence my guess.
I drive the cars very rarely for personal use. Trying to rent a car out as a business and trying to enjoy a car yourself are two very different goals. They are easily confused but when you come to the sobering realization of how much they cost to run, it makes restraint a bit easier. The business would become a significantly losing proposition quickly if I were to drive them frequently. To be fair, probably 500 miles have been personal.

Of course, I drive them a lot to events, deliveries, and diagnostic reasons. Tough to guess but I would imagine that on the Gallardo I have put about a third of the miles on the car for one business reason or another.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Just posted part II: Electronics and Transmission

http://supercarrentalsinc.com/lambor...-transmission/

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
sam
To be fair, probably 500 miles have been personal.

Tough to guess but I would imagine that on the Gallardo I have put about a third of the miles on the car for one business reason or another.
Hmmm... after reading part 2 of your write up and seeing that you haven't experienced pump failure on the e-gear and seemingly have only experienced "normal" maintenance for a Gallardo (clutch included) then I will put my estimate at $3.00 per mile.

Last edited by sam; 11-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
sam
P.S. you have pm Ed.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 22k miles of ownership experience in a Gallardo - Buyers Guide