6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Lamborghini (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini-41/)
-   -   TTG Vs other Platforms on the street (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini/287815-ttg-vs-other-platforms-street.html)

iBoost 10-15-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jhbchess (Post 3665730)
What accounts for the speed difference between this roll racing 1/2 mile event and the standing 1/2 mile (like at Ellington Field earlier this year?) Is the 60mph pacing making up part of the distance? The standing 1/2 had some fast times i thought, like the 182mph Supra and some 200+ cars.

Pretty sure Houston's yellow SL ran 200+ in the 1/2 mile.

I think this roll racing event is like 14 or 1500 feet, though.

AtomicZ 10-15-2012 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 300 (Post 3665681)
I believe UR brought their fastest cars with the R-packages.

Stage 1 R cars ran at the event. They have a Stage 2 R owned by Ray Hoffman that just ran the 1/4 at 8.3x @ 181.xxmph. It didn't run so I will not speculate on outcome. Bench racing is just bench racing.

I can't imagine they would turn down the power to make sure they could stop.

Full power. No excuses from owners of the car and no complaining from Underground on any of these threads.

It's not like they do not know how to mount a parachute:eek: Oh well, never mind.

Poor taste with this comment. A gentleman almost lost his life pursuing something that a lot of people on here only dream of or just bench race.

What was the deal with the shut down anyway?

It is what it is. Find a better safer venue and get back to us.

Exactly what is the distance the cars have from the finish line to stop before the 'end' ?

I'll have to let one of the organizers answer this question. But it seems to me that safety was a priority.

Did they have cones before the physical end of the runway?

See above.

^^^^

Shadowboost 10-15-2012 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 300 (Post 3665681)
I believe UR brought their fastest cars with the R-packages.

I can't imagine they would turn down the power to make sure they could stop.

It's not like they do not know how to mount a parachute:eek: Oh well, never mind.

What was the deal with the shut down anyway?

Exactly what is the distance the cars have from the finish line to stop before the 'end' ?

Did they have cones before the physical end of the runway?

They did not bring the Stage 2R's with the full 1760+ whp. Helm's car, which I believe is a Stage 2R, was turned down so that he could stop in the distance. It's not that they don't know how to mount a parachute, but mounting one ruins the street car ethos. Also, I think the result of some of these races would be quite different on a real "street" aka highway. A lot of these cars would not really be able to hook. As said previously, these cars really need stickier rubber.

Confirmed by UGR here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

And as for new things at UGR. They are testing new turbos, and they are running at 9300+ rpm for Stage 2 Race (10000 rpm for lower power builds), and they are spooling very very quickly. Not to mention, they did not bring any Stage 3 Race Versions.

Worm Boy 10-15-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowboost (Post 3665804)
They did not bring the Stage 2R's with the full 1760+ whp. Helm's car, which I believe is a Stage 2R, was turned down so that he could stop in the distance. It's not that they don't know how to mount a parachute, but mounting one ruins the street car ethos. Also, I think the result of some of these races would be quite different on a real "street" aka highway. A lot of these cars would not really be able to hook. As said previously, these cars really need stickier rubber.

Confirmed by UGR here:

And as for new things at UGR. They are testing new turbos, and they are running at 9300+ rpm for Stage 2 Race (10000 rpm for lower power builds), and they are spooling very very quickly. Not to mention, they did not bring any Stage 3 Race Versions.

You guys crack me up with your different "stages". Just like Atomic posted they brought their quickest and fastest cars to compete in this event. I know for a fact Bob Helms black SL is one of the highest hp cars they have built and they were definitely using all of it hence the traction issues they were complaining about. The sliver 6 speed car was also making around 1700hp to run the MPH he did.
All of UGR cars performed very well and I am sure they will be working on things to improve on for the next event. I love competition.

iBoost 10-15-2012 08:34 PM

Confirmed by UGR here:

I agree with that. Since you can't heat your slicks on a highway roll-on.

Where did you see that about new turbos, and 9300rpm limiter?

iBoost 10-15-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Worm Boy (Post 3665865)
You guys crack me up with your different "stages". Just like Atomic posted they brought their quickest and fastest cars to compete in this event. I know for a fact Bob Helms black SL is one of the highest hp cars they have built and they were definitely using all of it hence the traction issues they were complaining about. The sliver 6 speed car was also making around 1700hp to run the MPH he did.
All of UGR cars performed very well and I am sure they will be working on things to improve on for the next event. I love competition.

I'm not really sure why you're arguing it. UR said they were not bringing any stage 2 R's; there was not enough room to slow them down. Look at Mullets car, he has said several times that his car was having a hard time slow down. Also I highly doubt anything there would have touched their stage 2 R's.

jhbchess 10-15-2012 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Worm Boy (Post 3665865)
Just like Atomic posted they brought their quickest and fastest cars to compete in this event.

That's why I was wondering about what the difference is between the distance for the roll racing versus the standing 1/2 mile. The standing 1/2 (where my poor old stock car got smoked) had some insane times.

Place Speed Vehicle Driver
1 212.9 2006 Ford GT Sean Kennedy
2 204.7 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Sriyantha Weerasuria
3 203.7 2010 Chevrolet Impala NASCAR Greg Davidson
4 202.2 2008 Lamborghini SL Peter Blach
5 182.1 1993 Toyota Supra Serious HP LLC
6 175.8 2005 Ford GT Jason Stevens
7 174.2 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo Todd Nall
8 173.6 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby AJ Schill
9 173.6 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Richard Fossum
10 172.9 2010 Ford Mustang Vincent Goodman

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar129943.html

AudiBull 10-15-2012 09:14 PM

This probably isn't news to alot of you but I figured I'd throw it out there since I saw people (AtomicZ) were talking about trying to find a venue with a longer runway for a TI style event.

The Wilmington OH Airpark is the new host for the East Coast Timing Association's standing mile events. The Airpark has two runways. One is 10,700' by 150'. The other is 9,000' by 150'. The Airpark was a major DHL hub that closed a couple years ago.

There were four events there this year and there are four scheduled for next year. The first being the Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge, and the last being a bike event.

Don't know if they would be open to a TI style event but I've heard that the tarmac is some of the best others have driven on for a mile event. Here's some info for anyone interested.
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Airpark
http://www.wilmingtonairparkplan.com/

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything. I just thought someone might be interested. Congrats again to all those who made it to TI.

Berto670 10-15-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by iBoost (Post 3665867)

Wondering the same thing

medici78 10-15-2012 09:48 PM

Did you guys with TTG's have the mile gearing? I would love to participate in some events, but I'm still on the stock gearing.

300 10-15-2012 10:23 PM

Confirmed by UGR here:

Do you think the general populace is willing to spend the time to look up stage 2 or 3 R packages?

The GTR's could stop in the distance, if the stage 3 or whatever is sooo much faster, why could they not turn it up just enough to beat the GTR and the Vette and the Vipers?

Ruining the street car ethos? The truth is that mental outlook is exactly what almost cost somebody their life. Mounting a parachute 6 inches off the ground BELOW the center of gravity of the vehicle. I was at that mile race, I saw how it was mounted and knew what would happen ie once the chute was deployed the back end would lift.

It is really the fault of the tech people at the Texas Mile if you want to know the truth. At the legitimate land speed tech and rules based mile events, the tech people would have seen that and taken the appropriate measures to take off the chute and limit the top end speed to something safer for the braking capabilities of the car. There are several other measures that legitimate land speed based events do to ensure driver safety. The first is to have the car and driver do a slow pass and pull the chute at say 170 MPH and see how it opens and how the car reacts and also to see if the chute catches the wind properly and actually opens. All of these conditions need to be tested BEFORE the car attempts to pull the chute at the higher speeds. There was also a Supra that had a new rear end aero configuration that pulled the chute at 230+ MPH and found out the hard way the chute was not mounted in such a way with the correct type of launcher so it could catch the air in such a way it could actually open and perform it's intended function which was to slow down the car. The car went off the end and was damaged. All of this could have been prevented if the people who run the TX mile had a clue or some common sense as to how the real racers run such an event. Lastly the real land speed based organizers monitor the wind conditions and DO NOT allow somebody to make a run with a 30 MPH cross wind, much less with a parachute improperly mounted below the car's center of gravity that had never been previously tested at slower speeds much less at 230+ MPH at that event or anywhere else for that matter. The driver is so darn lucky to be alive, it is unbelievable! Great cage and safety equipment in that car to say the least.

So let's look at LMR.

They came to the event, not with some candy a $ $ vision of wine and the surf and turf menu and making triple D J u g g z pop out of the woman's blouse(not that there is anything wrong with that in the proper environment)dancing around in their heads thinking to themselves about "not ruining the 'ethos' of the car".

They came with a fast machine with a properly mounted parachute, that had been previously tested so it could stop without worrying by the end of the runway so they could run as much power as they could to have a no excuses weekend AND to kick a $ $ !

LMR did just that!

Bob Helms ran the course a few weeks ago and trapped 180+ MPH and had to have known if there was a less than optimal shutdown for those kinds of speeds. I am sure Bob is a great driver, but people here want to say that some young guns are not willing to take more risks than a man of such stature with nothing left to prove to ANYBODY? Come on!

UR had to have known the situation and could have mounted a parachute in order to be more competitive.

Nobody has answered my question about how long the shutdown was!

Anybody????????

Also why do cars need an entire 1/4 mile to get up to 60 MPH?

Why not start at 40 MPH at the 1/8 mile and race 1/4 mile if it is dangerous?

I hope people in the future try to come up with some more creative solutions whwn a challenging and potentially unsafe situation like this arises.

Anybody else feel the same way?

300 10-15-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AudiBull (Post 3665917)
This probably isn't news to alot of you but I figured I'd throw it out there since I saw people (AtomicZ) were talking about trying to find a venue with a longer runway for a TI style event.

The Wilmington OH Airpark is the new host for the East Coast Timing Association's standing mile events. The Airpark has two runways. One is 10,700' by 150'. The other is 9,000' by 150'. The Airpark was a major DHL hub that closed a couple years ago.

There were four events there this year and there are four scheduled for next year. The first being the Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge, and the last being a bike event.

Don't know if they would be open to a TI style event but I've heard that the tarmac is some of the best others have driven on for a mile event. Here's some info for anyone interested.
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Airpark
http://www.wilmingtonairparkplan.com/

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything. I just thought someone might be interested. Congrats again to all those who made it to TI.

Not to rain on anybody's parade here, but the only car that might qualify for this event would be one that meets the safety requirements of the ECTA-LSR. All the cars with no cage or a roll bar would not be able to tech to the higher speed categories. This event is only for "Race Cars", no surf and turf, just safety.

I would say the LMR Vette and the Blue Viper might have the proper requirements. There may be others, if I did not include them, I apologize.

gandalfthegray 10-15-2012 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by iBoost (Post 3665867)

This was posted on Lambo Power awhile back. They posted a pic of a big horse dyno sheet (1700 + iirc) and stated they had been testing some custom turbo's. The 9300 rpm referenced what they had spun the car up to for the dyno sheet in the picture. That was about it. No more info that I'm aware of.

OhioGT2 10-15-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Worm Boy (Post 3665393)
Have you not seen this corvette? Its on 08 base model Corvette with Z06 fender kit on it. Car still has ALL factory components plus A LOT of turbo kit. The turbos are mounted in the rear(a lot of piping running from front to back for both hot and cold side). The Ice box alone is an additional 100lbs depending on how much Ice/Water we add. The only reason we put a parachute on it is because the event staff made us after our first hit. We didnt even have a parachute cable, we had to rig one up so we could be safe.

We made the most passes out of any car there(over 15) and all passes were over 180mph. This is a true street car that gets driven to local car meets all the time and will be at the next cars and coffee in Houston.

Nice job this past weekend. I assume this car will be up for a highway run or 2 at TX2K13?

PAULIEWALNUTS 10-16-2012 05:10 AM

Jamie is your TTG still for sale on UGR website?

What car are you bringing to TX2K?