Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Supercharger v TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
jhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nice
Supercharger v TT

I've been reading articles speculating that the Gallardo replacement may sport a supercharger. (e.g., http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junki...g-2449514.html)

From the after-market perspective, what are the relative merits of a bolt-on supercharger v a bolt-on twin turbo or vice versa? Is the supercharger easier on the stock components?

I don't see anyone pushing superchargers for Gallardos but it seems like a bolt-on supercharger would be a pretty quick install and a price point around $20,000-$25,000 might be the sweet spot for the market segment that isn't ready to go all-in with a full build TT.

(***Edit: As I've been researching this throughout the day, a newer article seems to say no SC http://www.caradvice.com.au/196819/l...-all-new-bull/)

Last edited by jhbchess; 10-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
Issue is you can buy a Bolt on TT kit for not much more and make a lot more whp.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by revracer
Issue is you can buy a Bolt on TT kit for not much more and make a lot more whp.
Actually, the VF engineering supercharger kit for the Gallardo, and the almost identical Stasis supercharger for the V10 R8 are both pretty much exactly the same price as a stage 1 UR TT package. $35,000. All three produce almost exactly the same WHP, about 700-750 on pump. That's about all your gonna get out of a stock block. Fine tuning a turbo set up is a lot easier. My main drawback would be hearing supercharger whine coming out of a high revving Italian engine. Seems kind of like sacrilege to me. A broader power band would be a plus though. You be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-nRzqW1G3kc

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
You bring up a good point. The thing about superchargers is that they rob the engine of a little power to make power. Turbochargers, on the other hand, make more power as power increases. Personally, I prefer the power potential of a good turbo setup. Even the domestic market, which has traditionally leaned towards supercharging is increasingly choosing turbochargers as the preferred method of forced induction.

Whatever the factory decides, I'm sure it will be great and the aftermarket will find a way to improve on it.

I'm more bummed about the lack of manual transmission.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
RoadRunnerSTi is infamous around these parts
Some people just love instant low end grunt... And some people prefer the top end pull...

If you're looking for simplicity, reasonable power levels and a strong/instant low end pull, a supercharger is a great choice... The parasitic drag a s/c creates on the engine is negligible on a street car IMHO... But when it comes to big power full out builds I would always choose turbos.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhbchess
I've been reading articles speculating that the Gallardo replacement may sport a supercharger. (e.g., http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junki...g-2449514.html)

From the after-market perspective, what are the relative merits of a bolt-on supercharger v a bolt-on twin turbo or vice versa? Is the supercharger easier on the stock components?

I don't see anyone pushing superchargers for Gallardos but it seems like a bolt-on supercharger would be a pretty quick install and a price point around $20,000-$25,000 might be the sweet spot for the market segment that isn't ready to go all-in with a full build TT.

(***Edit: As I've been researching this throughout the day, a newer article seems to say no SC http://www.caradvice.com.au/196819/l...-all-new-bull/)

Just call Kevin at UGR and have him do what he did to my LP570, a
Stage 1.5 bolt on. No negative change in driveability, only the big power bump! Worth every dime spent!!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
jhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nicejhbchess is just really nice
Originally Posted by PCJR
Just call Kevin at UGR and have him do what he did to my LP570, a
Stage 1.5 bolt on. No negative change in driveability, only the big power bump! Worth every dime spent!!
is that bolt-on plus boost by gear but no built internals?

screw it, someone just send a truck and take my car in for a stage 2 already. every time i turn a corner in my neighborhood, houstont rolls up and asks me if it's done yet. i capitulate! but i demand a 4-week build max.

and candy corns.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
With that kind of peer pressure I'm surprised you're not going stage 3 at least. If you wait a little while you'll probably find a way to talk yourself into it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by AudiBull
With that kind of peer pressure I'm surprised you're not going stage 3 at least. If you wait a little while you'll probably find a way to talk yourself into it.
stage 3 on a performante. i fear that.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Keep in mind Peter really does not think about longevity as he never keeps a car more than a few months.

Try not to be persuaded into a 1300-1500 whp UGR kit because we all know there is always someone faster.

IMO 750-900 whp will be more fun for a street car if you plan to keep it for a few years.

Good luck on the path you choose.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !
do the 1250 hp (stage 3) kit. 2 year warranty and plenty fast enough and you can always have them tune it at 800, 1000, 1250hp levels with a flick of a switch.

with the stage 3 you get a built motor so you don't have to worry about it coming apart compared to doing a non built motor build. You could also do the stage 2 with the built motor and get up to 1100hp.

Last edited by Mullet; 11-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
sc vs tt

Does a supercharger on this motor develop a more linear powerband? I loved how the turbo on my TTRS did not have the dreaded turbo lag. It felt almost like a naturally aspirated car.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Keep in mind Peter really does not think about longevity as he never keeps a car more than a few months.

Try not to be persuaded into a 1300-1500 whp UGR kit because we all know there is always someone faster.

IMO 750-900 whp will be more fun for a street car if you plan to keep it for a few years.

Good luck on the path you choose.

True, my dear Walnut, but I think that a reliable 900 would require an engine build.

For me personally, it would depend on my financials. If I was bringing down 400K per year, w/ a net worth of at least 1.5 million, then why not go all out on a stage 3? Unfortunally, I am not in that situation.

You are right, there will always be somthing faster, but right now I believe the UR Lambos (despite the loss at the TI) are still king of the hill. It just requires a ton of money to get in the game.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
it's looking like we're going to permanently remove the folding soft-top and mechanicals, install an 8-point carbon fiber cage so it is always open top, give it HRE Cf wheels, custom clutch, and the new stage 4 race build. i am anticipating 2300hp on U-238 and 2550 hp on weapons grade Pu-239.

steven tyler is reportedly incredibly jealous.

yes, yes i am drinking right now.