Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

Lexus GS 460 vs. 450h

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Lexus GS 460 vs. 450h

I realize neither counts as a Japanese "supercar" and therefore might not fit well in this forum, but it was either here or off-topic.

Possibly considering a GS for the wife. She is not convinced the hybrid 450h drives "like a real car" with its CVT and weird on-off engine spurts. However, I drove it and it appears to have a never-ending supply of torque at any speed, plus the CVT actually makes it a unique and smooth ride IMHO.

The 460, with its 8-speed tranny, seems to shift gears constantly, but also delivers rocket-ship like performance (in a straight-line anyway).

Handling for both models, while not up to snuff with BMW M or AMG, is certainly sufficient for a wife-mobile.

Any thoughts on the 2? If you had a gun to your head, which would you choose (pulling the trigger is not an option )? Which is likely to be more desirable on the resale market?

Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM
cheez80 is infamous around these parts
i like the 450h, but at that price point i would probably spring for a secondhand ls460 swb. the suspension tuning needs work on those cars, though -- homeboy's lowered ls460 on jic coilovers rode better than a stock 450h.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Pushstart has a spectacular aura aboutPushstart has a spectacular aura about
lol if pulling trigger is not option... i'd keep the gun on my head and die from there hahaha... i kidd... I'd go with 460 ... seems pretty nice car

Old 12-27-2009, 03:03 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pushstart
lol if pulling trigger is not option... i'd keep the gun on my head and die from there hahaha... i kidd... I'd go with 460 ... seems pretty nice car
the wifey have the gs460 w/8 speed. the shifting especially down shifting is too slow. my 650 ci shift a lot faster, but the lexus seems to just make hp very effortlessly. with a faster shifting tranny it would be a great car. handling is not up to the europeans but besides that quality is top notch.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM
1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by trojanman
I realize neither counts as a Japanese "supercar" and therefore might not fit well in this forum, but it was either here or off-topic.

Possibly considering a GS for the wife. She is not convinced the hybrid 450h drives "like a real car" with its CVT and weird on-off engine spurts. However, I drove it and it appears to have a never-ending supply of torque at any speed, plus the CVT actually makes it a unique and smooth ride IMHO.

The 460, with its 8-speed tranny, seems to shift gears constantly, but also delivers rocket-ship like performance (in a straight-line anyway).

Handling for both models, while not up to snuff with BMW M or AMG, is certainly sufficient for a wife-mobile.

Any thoughts on the 2? If you had a gun to your head, which would you choose (pulling the trigger is not an option )? Which is likely to be more desirable on the resale market?
I have a 450h and have driven it and the 460 at the track. To me the main reason to purchase the 460 would be the V-8 sound. Otherwise the 450h is quieter, faster, cleaner (emissions) and the CVT/electric motors give you class leading passing power against its V-8 class. Oh it also will get better MPG.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have a 450h and have driven it and the 460 at the track. To me the main reason to purchase the 460 would be the V-8 sound. Otherwise the 450h is quieter, faster, cleaner (emissions) and the CVT/electric motors give you class leading passing power against its V-8 class. Oh it also will get better MPG.

Good luck!
agree, the gs460 have less hp than the LS460, lexus should just leave the hp alone on the GS like the european cars (E550 n S550, BMW 750 N 550).

Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
drove the 450h today and the hs 250 premium and came home with the 250. I love it! It has has plenty of power for me as my DD. I had to drive my 911 S to feel normal, but it is a great car and superb gas mileage as 35mpg.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM
hockey21 is infamous around these parts
how about new infiniti M?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
We can't keep the HS250 in stock.

I always thought of the top line prius to me more like a lexus than a toyota and I guess the design/marketing team felt the need to make this cool baby lexus.

It's sweet and city mileage is amazing for the level of luxury.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
rhudeboye is infamous around these parts
I prefer the lines of the GS over the LS and the power and body style of the GS over the HS.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
SVTRonDogg is infamous around these parts
I'm disappointed the new GS only comes either with a V6 or Hybrid. Apparently the V8 never sold well, but it is my preference in a car like that.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SVTRonDogg
I'm disappointed the new GS only comes either with a V6 or Hybrid. Apparently the V8 never sold well, but it is my preference in a car like that.
I never did understand that.
Originally Posted by rhudeboye
I prefer the lines of the GS over the LS and the power and body style of the GS over the HS.
+997

Kudos to your wife for enjoying a car that preforms well. My choice would be the 460 also.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Bimmeristic has a spectacular aura aboutBimmeristic has a spectacular aura about
If she's the type of woman that could really care less, I'd try and get her a Camry and a Louis Vuitton purse or something like that and be done with it!!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by SVTRonDogg

i agree, my wife was waiting for the new GS w/v8 questioning if she should trade her's in. lol after she she saw the look of it she decided to keep her car (nice interior though)