22.61%
Lexus LFA
17.39%
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
14.78%
Lamborghini LP670-4 SuperVeloce
45.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Is Lexus crazy or what? Info on the new LFA.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
If true, that is an UNBELIEVABLE time, but I'm not going to put much weight to it until there is confirmation from Toyota. For reference times:

Gumpert Apollo: 7:11.5
*Lexus LFA (unconfirmed): 7:20 Harakiku Tanahashi
Dodge Viper ACR: 7:22.1
Maserati MC12: 7:24.3
Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: 7:24.7
Ferrari Enzo: 7:25.3
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: 7:26.4
Nissan GTR: 7:26.70
Porsche CGT: 7:28.71

There you go guys. Pending accuracy, an overpriced Toyota with a full interior and not-so-latest tech is the quickest production supercar around the ring from a mass production company.

Last edited by Monaco; 12-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Kap
Banned
Kap is infamous around these parts
7:30 is the best time made by a production LFA. 7:24 was a time rumoured for a prototype. 7:20 is a brown herring from wikipedia.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
For anyone wondering why BD- doesn't quote the rest of the Evo magazine article like I asked him to, here's why:

"...And then it all starts to make sense. You drive through the bluster, realise it's not the prelude to a clash of wills, discover a supercar more forgiving than you would ever have guessed. Let the tail move out, then lean hard on it, applying more and more power as any residual nose-drift ebbs away and the trajectory becomes throttle-variable in the most fantastically, positive, connected way."

BD-? More like BS-...

BTW, in the same issue, the 997.2 GT3 nips the LP550-2 Balboni by 0.1s on the Bedford Autodrome. At £157,550, the Lambo is nearly twice the price of the GT3. Lets add the Balboni to the list of cars (Koenigsegg, Z8, SL65, 2000GT, Spyker, 599, DB9/DBS, Zonda/Cinque, etc) that are utter garbage for the price. One can derive similar or even better performance figures, for a mere fraction of the price.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
BD got banned from what it looks like. Sad. He was a good time killer.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
jadefox is infamous around these parts
I think the NSX has taught us that power and magazine times aren't everything. It still has a very dedicated following of which I am a part. Toyota is trying to do something new. This should be encouraged.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
BruceWonder is infamous around these parts
theyre asking wayyyy too much for it. rather get a lp560 and have extra cash in my pocket

Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
revoevom is infamous around these parts
i can't justify 32k for a used toyota supra mk4 turbo, i can't come even close to justifying 375K on a TOYOTA. pretty sure you can build a mk4 turbo into something better than the LF-A for less money.

i can get a viper acr, a zo6 and a gt3 combined for cheaper.

and i like the spyker, for those that haven't had the chance to drive one, it's a lot better of a car than most give credit for. the pagani is also an amazing car, 550hp+ in a sub 2750lb car...go find another new car with that hp/wt ratio

Last edited by revoevom; 12-20-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by revoevom
i can't justify 32k for a used toyota supra mk4 turbo, i can't come even close to justifying 375K on a TOYOTA. pretty sure you can build a mk4 turbo into something better than the LF-A for less money.

i can get a viper acr, a zo6 and a gt3 combined for cheaper.

and i like the spyker, for those that haven't had the chance to drive one, it's a lot better of a car than most give credit for. the pagani is also an amazing car, 550hp+ in a sub 2750lb car...go find another new car with that hp/wt ratio
So basically, you just can't get past the fact that the LFA has a Lexus badge on the hood. Gotcha. You'll fit in perfectly with the rest of the non-enthusiast crowd.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by rseven
So basically, you just can't get past the fact that the LFA has a Lexus badge on the hood. Gotcha. You'll fit in perfectly with the rest of the non-enthusiast crowd.
LOL. That's exactly what it sounded like.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Catalyst is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Guibo
It doesn't beat the LFA in the core structure and most important component of the car: the CF tub and bodywork.
As for downforce numbers, don't put so much faith in them. Different wind tunnels can produce different results; look at the Nissan claimed aero and downforce tunnels compared to what Sport Auto found. Secondly, Ferrari had claimed that the 360 Modena produced 397 lb of downforce at 180 mph (reported in R&T). Yet the 360 Challenge Stradale which makes more downforce produced net lift of 6kg at 200 kph. F430 was supposed to have produced 300 lbs of downforce at 124 mph, yet Sport Auto found about 8kg of average lift at 124 mph.

The Zonda F is a waste of carbon fiber. A ZR1 has more power, more torque, magnetic shocks, HUD, sat-nav, multi-level stability control, etc., and it costs only 1/6th as much. What has the Zonda got besides carbon fiber and low production volume (oops, those are kind of big ones)?
The Zonda s/f/cinique/R and any model of Zonda has got to be one of the best cars every built, I could not even imagine comparing a ZR1 to it.

Performance is irrelevant at this point b/c they are both fast cars, fast enough for roads, and if you wanna beat everyone and there mom on a track then buy an open wheel road legal racecar.

After visiting the Zonda and Lambo build houses in Italy I was able to see what the big deal was about this word people use for the Italian cars, particularly the Zonda: passion, and yeah I would pay over a mil for that car if I could...

Lexus I think jumped out to high to quick in the price, even if it is INSANELY fun to drive I dont see not going to sway F458 and LP560 buyers away.
Lexus is to new at this game to try and fight with the big dogs: Lamborghini, Ferrari , Maserati, Porsche, even Audi and MB (SLR)

Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Coreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really niceCoreym997 is just really nice
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
The same argument could be made for the Corvette vs the Porsche.
Same argument as Porsche Vs. Ferrari; see its all relative

*Oh and how exactly does the LFA get 10 for looks when the 911TT gets 7? Come on the LFA is an uglier GTR (and slower, more expensive, less advanced and did I mention uglier?)

Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Catalyst
The Zonda s/f/cinique/R and any model of Zonda has got to be one of the best cars every built, I could not even imagine comparing a ZR1 to it.

Lexus I think jumped out to high to quick in the price, even if it is INSANELY fun to drive I dont see not going to sway F458 and LP560 buyers away.
Lexus is to new at this game to try and fight with the big dogs: Lamborghini, Ferrari , Maserati, Porsche, even Audi and MB (SLR)
Well, according to some who have posted in this thead, it's easy to imagine comparing the ZR1 to the Zonda. The ZR1 does pretty much what they do in terms of lap times, yet at a mere fraction of the price. That makes the Zondas a waste of money, by their logic.
If all you can afford is the 458 or LP560, you're not going to be in the market for the LFA anyway so that's a moot point. I have yet to see reviews for the SLR indicating it's as well-developed to drive as the LFA. And so far, the 599 seems to be trailing for performance as well. And (if the Autocar review is anything to go by) build quality.

Originally Posted by revoevom
i can't justify 32k for a used toyota supra mk4 turbo, i can't come even close to justifying 375K on a TOYOTA.

and i like the spyker, for those that haven't had the chance to drive one, it's a lot better of a car than most give credit for.
I hope that's true, because most reviews indicate the Spyker is somewhat crappy to drive. Especially for the money.
So I take it you've driven the LFA? It seems like you're giving the Spyker the benefit of the doubt (having driven one). You would be subscribing to a double standard if you are not giving the LFA the same consideration as you did the Spyker.

Last edited by Guibo; 12-27-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Coreym997
Same argument as Porsche Vs. Ferrari; see its all relative

*Oh and how exactly does the LFA get 10 for looks when the 911TT gets 7? Come on the LFA is an uglier GTR (and slower, more expensive, less advanced and did I mention uglier?)
the only reason I went with a 7, because Porsche hasn't really changed their classic styling, but even though i dont mind, some people prefer a newer look, a change as long as it is in the benefit for the cars best interest. For example the Panamera, its totally left field for Porsche but they are selling the crap out of that car.....The LFA is a brand new design and it looks pretty slick.....

Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Man. People are getting wound up over this. I know the LFA performance numbers are not impressive by any means. The price is way too high for such a price tag, but that was not the purpose of this car. It originally started off as a project to build a sports car around the $150k range. It was their attempt to derive and use some of the F-1 technology and put it into a road car. As Mr. Akio Toyoda became more involved with the project, the car became pricier as he wanted more carbon fiber and more exotic materials used to build the car. Mr. Toyoda is a car guy and an avid racer.

I know there are a lot of cars out there that will outperform it and for less money too. However, it's not always about performance stats. The bottom line is this. The super wealthy will simply buy it for it's exclusivity. Only 500 built worldwide. Those people already have the Lambo's and F-Cars in their car collection. This is just another car for their collection.

Lexus is going to lose money on this project. Is it crazy for them to ask for $375k? Maybe. Maybe not. As long as there are willing buyers, who is to say that they are crazy or not? All I know is that I couldn't afford it and even I could, I would buy something else with that money. But then again, this car wasn't produced for people like me. See?
+1 this post derseves a bump. Very well said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus crazy or what? Info on the new LFA.