22.61%
Lexus LFA
17.39%
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
14.78%
Lamborghini LP670-4 SuperVeloce
45.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Is Lexus crazy or what? Info on the new LFA.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
master_jcp is infamous around these partsmaster_jcp is infamous around these parts
cgt > lfa

Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by master_jcp
cgt > lfa
Finally a post that makes sense, can't imagine why people compare the LFA to the GT2 or the TT, the GT2 is an awesome vehicle but it does not compare to a CGT.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BD-
How so? It's still as light (lighter than the Euro version of the LFA in fact). Must be some heavy CF. As I said, a waste of CF.
Here's how so: the 458 isn't made from CF. Simple, no? The 458 is using existing body/chassis methods and tooling carried over from the F430 carried over from the 360 Modena (which at the time, used ALCOA's personnel and "factory within a factory" to produce the aluminum shells; Ferrari didn't start making them themselves).
As for weights, don't put too much faith in them. Are you comparing Ferrari's dry weights or their curb weights with fluids?

Originally Posted by BD-
Don't believe Sport Auto measured downforce. The measured Cd was different because unknown to some people Cd varies with speed since normal drag is proportional to v^2 and downforce induced drag is proportional to v^4. And frankly I'd trust my **** more than Sport Auto.

And like Ferrari's wind tunnel is likely to be inaccurate after over half a century in F1.
Some of the figures I posted were at the same speed (124 mph). How is the lift created by the F430 @ 124 mph magically going to result in hundreds of pounds of downforce at 186 mph? Does it have active aero like the Enzo?
The F1 comment is ridiculous. Ferrari makes no claims about the downforce of F1 cars and even if they did, we would have no idea if the figures would be different somewhere else.

Originally Posted by BD-
It was a 1 of 399. And that only cost £70k more than the LFA when new.
And do you seriously think the Enzo was priced at true market value? Think about that before replying.

Originally Posted by BD-
How strange that high speed cornering data doesn't back up their findings.
Show me the cornering speed data that proves the F360/F430 produces hundreds of pounds of downforce at 186 mph.

Originally Posted by BD-
Unfortunately your argument is totally invalid as a Zonda F is 300kg lighter than a ZR1, thus demonstrating how CF is supposed to be used and the production version beats a ZR1 on track and in a straight line. It also has the bonus of being a 7.3 V12 with an interior that isn't snatched straight from a Vauxhall Astra. Nor does it have a stupid plastic bit on the bonnet just so that it looks different to a Z06.
If I can further assist you with your confusion, do not hesitate to ask.
It's not 300kg. More like 162kg, as measured by the same scale (Sport Auto's).
These two recorded times on the 'Ring within 5 seconds of each other. For a long track with many variables, that's pretty much the same time. On the short Hockenheim track, the ZR1 was faster (1:09.7 vs 1:10.8). They also recorded the same 0-200 kph time of 11.4s.
Aha, so now a bespoke interior suddenly matters and justifies the 6x price difference of the Zonda? C'mon, get real. What happened to your previous argument that only the end result of the technology (PERFORMANCE) is what matters?
BTW, I could have just as easily used the regular Zonda C12S to illustrate the same point: less power, less torque, slower on NRing and HRing, yet the C12S cost much more. And it was still the same when the original Zonda had a largely unmodified Mercedes engine producing ~400 hp. A Porsche Turbo or GT2 of the time would have matched its performance for far, far less. So what was the point of all that CF? Such a waste, right? Only unwitting fools would buy such a car when a 360 Modena could match it for a fraction of the price.

Confusion? You can't seem to even understand why the Z8 cost more than the M5 with pretty similar mechanicals...

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Why don't you ask this guy about the LFA? Unlike all of us he's actually been in one.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html

Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 AM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Guibo
Here's how so: the 458 isn't made from CF. Simple, no? The 458 is using existing body/chassis methods and tooling carried over from the F430 carried over from the 360 Modena (which at the time, used ALCOA's personnel and "factory within a factory" to produce the aluminum shells; Ferrari didn't start making them themselves).
As for weights, don't put too much faith in them. Are you comparing Ferrari's dry weights or their curb weights with fluids?

Some of the figures I posted were at the same speed (124 mph). How is the lift created by the F430 @ 124 mph magically going to result in hundreds of pounds of downforce at 186 mph? Does it have active aero like the Enzo?
The F1 comment is ridiculous. Ferrari makes no claims about the downforce of F1 cars and even if they did, we would have no idea if the figures would be different somewhere else.

And do you seriously think the Enzo was priced at true market value? Think about that before replying.

Show me the cornering speed data that proves the F360/F430 produces hundreds of pounds of downforce at 186 mph.

These two recorded times on the 'Ring within 5 seconds of each other. For a long track with many variables, that's pretty much the same time. On the short Hockenheim track, the ZR1 was faster (1:09.7 vs 1:10.8). They also recorded the same 0-200 kph time of 11.4s.
Aha, so now a bespoke interior suddenly matters and justifies the 6x price difference of the Zonda? C'mon, get real. What happened to your previous argument that only the end result of the technology (PERFORMANCE) is what matters?
BTW, I could have just as easily used the regular Zonda C12S to illustrate the same point: less power, less torque, slower on NRing and HRing, yet the C12S cost much more. And it was still the same when the original Zonda had a largely unmodified Mercedes engine producing ~400 hp. A Porsche Turbo or GT2 of the time would have matched its performance for far, far less. So what was the point of all that CF? Such a waste, right? Only unwitting fools would buy such a car when a 360 Modena could match it for a fraction of the price.

Confusion? You can't seem to even understand why the Z8 cost more than the M5 with pretty similar mechanicals...
very well said

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Smile

Originally Posted by jherbias
Why don't you ask this guy about the LFA? Unlike all of us he's actually been in one.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html
thanks for the link, the video he provide was also cool, but honestly do you really think this car is worth $400,000, honestly......
P.S I would like everyone to chime in on this.
It's ok to agree or disagree, i just want to see, how many people agree.
Thanks.....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Comparing kerb weights. LFA - 1485kg (1500kg Euro), F458 - 1480kg.

Downforce from aerodynamic surfaces always increases with speed by virtue of the equation Lift = 0.5*Cl*density*Area*v^2. If can only be reduced with speed by virtue of active surfaces. You need to gain a better grasp of aerodynamics before responding.

I wonder why they make no claims about the aerodynamic performance of F1 cars? Probably for the same reason that the US DoD don't make accurate public assertations as to the performance of military aircraft. Despite this I think it's safe to assume that both of the above know more about aerodynamics and the measurement thereof than Sport Auto. I really must confess that Sport Auto are probably my least favourite automotive magazine, along with 1 or 2 Spanish outfits, who can't for the life of them get consistent or meaningful results when compared with other magazines or even other results from their own magazine. They're like an automotive version of FOX News.

Irrelevant. That was the price.

It's reflected in the better lap times and since you like sport auto, why not dig up some of their supertests and look at the cornering g. Unless you're asking why downforce is greater at 186mph than 124mph, in which case I give up, but as an act of charity I will provide you with this instrumented ACR 'ring lap that has a downforce bar along the right. See how it increases with speed. As a further act of kindness I will offer you one last piece of advice: desist from reading Sport Auto. It will only confuse you and lead you to all manner of delusions, like a GT2 being 2s/minute faster than an LP560-4 and 1s/minute faster than a Scuderia. Their tests and measurements are proven to have no foundation in physics, nor the wider time-space continuum.

ZR1 - 1528kg
Zonda F - 1230kg

...as measured by a more accurate scale.

Sport Auto again? You should try looking at other figures like Autocar and Evo where the Zonda F makes 10s-dead with the best recording being 9.8s. However, a mere sound knowledge of maths would have led you to the conclusion that a lighter car with the same power and more weight over the rear must be quicker 0-124mph.

Comparing Sport Auto 'ring laps is like comparing the time taken for a daily commute in 2 separate cars on 2 different days. There's a whole multitude of factors at large beyond the cars themself.

Because comparing an LFA interior to an F458 or MP4-12C interior is like comparing a Zonda interior to a Chevy interior? Your reasoning is astounding.

BTW, I could have just as easily used the regular Zonda C12S to illustrate the same point: less power, less torque, slower on NRing and HRing, yet the C12S cost much more.
Why not bring the Ferrari Testarossa into the argument too? I mean another 10-15 years further back in time and that's where you'll be. I know, I'll compare a C4 'vette with a Zonda F instead shall I?

And it was still the same when the original Zonda had a largely unmodified Mercedes engine producing ~400 hp. A Porsche Turbo or GT2 of the time would have matched its performance for far, far less. So what was the point of all that CF? Such a waste, right? Only unwitting fools would buy such a car when a 360 Modena could match it for a fraction of the price.
Well it looks like the first Zonda might not have been such a good deal. How does this help your LFA case again?

You're right, I can't. Ghastly little things Z8s.

Last edited by BD-; 11-18-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BD-

Because comparing an LFA interior to an F458 or MP4-12C interior is like comparing a Zonda interior to a Chevy interior? Your reasoning is astounding.

Please explain.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I love it, you guys are really going in, i guess thats the only way to compare, when you are talking about buying cars over a quarter mil.... keep it clean though, we all share the same interest for cars, i didn't know it was going to be a turn out like this though, thanks for all the input, it really helps everyone out, that doesn't know, and that only reads what information is provided in magazines. I thank you all, for all the info, keep it coming. This what makes forum good.....

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
thanks for the link, the video he provide was also cool, but honestly do you really think this car is worth $400,000, honestly......
Thanks.....
Factoring in performance, technology, build, and exclusivity. Yes.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Thanks.....
He said it is worth it. And he owns an F430.

The problem w/ this thread is that it was started w/ an inherent bias against Japanese cars from the beginning. Then more of these people chimed in. The best opinion would come from REAL car enthusiasts (instead of those who get a hard-on for only European cars) who actually are in the position to afford one (like the person in the aforemention thread, and Jay Leno).

On other forums people think that if they're going to spend 200-400K on one car it's going to be the only one they'll ever buy. Hence, the bias against the Japanese.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jherbias
He said it is worth it. And he owns an F430.

The problem w/ this thread is that it was started w/ an inherent bias against Japanese cars from the beginning. Then more of these people chimed in. The best opinion would come from REAL car enthusiasts (instead of those who get a hard-on for only European cars) who actually are in the position to afford one (like the person in the aforemention thread, and Jay Leno).

On other forums people think that if they're going to spend 200-400K on one car it's going to be the only one they'll ever buy. Hence, the bias against the Japanese.
Very nicely stated.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
MickZ is infamous around these parts
Lexus is crazy

I'd rather have a GTR!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rseven
Please explain.
It can't be explained, that's my point. It's a ridiculous quantum leap of logic. It's like comparing a Maybach interior with a Rolls-Royce and then with a Daewoo.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by BD-
It can't be explained, that's my point. It's a ridiculous quantum leap of logic. It's like comparing a Maybach interior with a Rolls-Royce and then with a Daewoo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus crazy or what? Info on the new LFA.